• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman New Previews

Shack News

As it currently stands, Hitman should feel very familiar to series veterans. Mechanics like disguises and Instinct return intact, while the AI feels notably improved from previous installments. What remains to be seen is what the episodic format will add to the formula, though IO is hinting that new mechanics will be added in subsequent episodes that will make replaying missions from old episodes worth the experience.

pcgamesn

Creating a blend that works for both sectors of the audience is going to be tough, but the episodic structure allows Io the best chance possible to do exactly that. The time between location releases provides valuable opportunity to listen to player feedback, and act upon it, in advance of the next batch of content.

Hitman might be treading new ground as far as the triple-A space is concerned, but in all likelihood it's at the forefront of a trend that is likely to gain traction over coming years.

Vice -
At its best, Hitman 2016 is the pinnacle of what any game in this series should be. It's incredibly polished, and when everything clicks into place, and you strike down your target having laid out the most incredible plot ahead of that moment, it's just so much fun.

WorthPlaying
-
Hitman: Absolution was a commercial success for Square Enix and Io-Interactive, but for many players, it didn't quite "feel" like a Hitman game, often pushing action over stealth. With the upcoming Hitman, Io-Interactive is attempting a return to the play style of earlier games in the franchise. After spending a few hours with the $15 Hitman Intro Pack, it's safe to say that the new Hitman game pulls much of its inspiration from Hitman: Blood Money.

Gamespot -
It's that emergent gameplay that sets Hitman apart from its predecessors. You're doing the same thing--hunting targets for cash and experience--but the world around you has evolved into something that seems more alive. When you leave a gun on the ground, a civilian could see it and run to find guards. If the guard sees it, he'll pick it up and carry it somewhere, and your access to it is severed. You can fling coins into dark corners to trick people into coming closer to you, then knock them out or kill them and take their stuff. If anyone sees you, or also hears that coin, then there's a good chance they will also come sniffing around. And if you don't kill them, they can go and alert more guards. If you do kill them, someone will eventually come back for them with a body bag. None of that is scripted; it's all dependent on how you behave.

IGN -
Seifert calls Hitman “the first truly episodic AAA game.” Now, whatever you make of the reboot being released in pieces – when I asked, Seifert politely mentioned that “if people are skeptical about it, please wait [until the entire season is finished later in 2016]” – the fact is that Hitman is leaving the more directed, gameplay-stylized direction of Absolution behind in favor of giving you the freedom to complete your mission in dozens of different ways. And as anyone who enjoyed the old Hitman titles will probably agree, that’s likely to be a good thing.

RPS -
The scale is there but in building something so large and busy, IO might have lost the clockwork intricacy of their greatest designs. I was glad to be away from the corridors and cutscenes of Absolution, but I almost appreciated the self-contained missions of the prologue more than the vast and vague expanse of that Paris mission.

It’s entirely possible that I simply need more time to learn the ropes, of course, and that IO themselves will perfect these dense sandboxes by the second or third episodic release. I enjoyed what I played and I look forward to playing more but it’ll take further experiments with the map and its inhabitants to convince me that 47 is back on track.

Videogamer Preview

Eurogamer Preview

dc89

It does look good! I want a traditional Hitman experience and I think this may tick those boxes with the introduction of some of the new features.

from the RPS preview, I'm not sure I get this

All of that is very enjoyable but it’s also fairly tightly scripted. The main players will always be in certain locations at certain times, and time tends to tick over when you undertake an opportunity and move the unseen clock forward rather than advancing of its own volition.

this has been a thing in Hitman games as far as I remember.

BY2K

Membero Americo
from the RPS preview, I'm not sure I get this

this has been a thing in Hitman games as far as I remember.

Yeah Hitman games have always been like that. It's the whole point to discover where they'll be and when and plan accordingly, wtf.

Syriel

Hitman: Absolution was a commercial success for Square Enix and Io-Interactive, but for many players, it didn't quite "feel" like a Hitman game, often pushing action over stealth. With the upcoming Hitman, Io-Interactive is attempting a return to the play style of earlier games in the franchise. After spending a few hours with the $15 Hitman Intro Pack, it's safe to say that the new Hitman game pulls much of its inspiration from Hitman: Blood Money.

Worthplaying: Hitman Intro Pack Preview

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yo, Jimmy: Vice did a preview too.

At its best, Hitman 2016 is the pinnacle of what any game in this series should be. It's incredibly polished, and when everything clicks into place, and you strike down your target having laid out the most incredible plot ahead of that moment, it's just so much fun.

Moff

I always had faith in IO and knew they would deliever, they have always been very open about what went wrong with Absolution and what they wanted to do next.

this sounds like an amazing hitman game

Interfectum

The scale is there but in building something so large and busy, IO might have lost the clockwork intricacy of their greatest designs. I was glad to be away from the corridors and cutscenes of Absolution, but I almost appreciated the self-contained missions of the prologue more than the vast and vague expanse of that Paris mission.

It’s entirely possible that I simply need more time to learn the ropes, of course, and that IO themselves will perfect these dense sandboxes by the second or third episodic release. I enjoyed what I played and I look forward to playing more but it’ll take further experiments with the map and its inhabitants to convince me that 47 is back on track.

lol so uh... like every other Hitman pre-Absolution?

The game is fucking awesome btw. That's my preview.

killroy87

I'll wait until it's finished and see what people think, but I'm hoping for the best! I just see zero benefit of this being episodic, it doesn't seem to benefit the game in any way. Hope they prove me wrong.

DukeBobby

Really looking forward to this, despite Square Enix doing their best to destroy it.

As long as it washes the bad taste of Absolution out of my mouth, I'm happy. It doesn't have to be a Blood Money beater.

I'm a bit confused by this now. I would prefer to have the disc with the full game, so with it being episodic I presume that won't be released until the full package is out, or will the disc be released with the first episode and the rest downloaded when they release like minecraft story mode?
I think I am going to get the episodes on steam then buy the disc for ps4, as long as it's the full game. Long time fan of the series so I have no problem double or even triple dipping (xb1 as well).

viveks86

I'm a bit confused by this now. I would prefer to have the disc with the full game, so with it being episodic I presume that won't be released until the full package is out, or will the disc be released with the first episode and the rest downloaded when they release like minecraft story mode?
I think I am going to get the episodes on steam then buy the disc for ps4, as long as it's the full game. Long time fan of the series so I have no problem double or even triple dipping (xb1 as well).

Disk is released at the end of the season

Now I just hope the Amazon code was for the full game and not just the intro pack. And yeah I know it shows as the full game in the order but I won't be convinced until I get the key.

Tankard

Very positive impressions, I don't give too much weight for previews, but i'm glad it has left a good image of the game so far.

PCGN too, we liked it as much as everyone:

To absorb everything contained here would take many hours of dedicated, and logically planned, attention. Even then, the nature of the AI system - that sees individuals react, adapt and take influence from one another, as well as you - means that it's entirely likely that treading the same path twice would yield different results. It's that uncertainty that has always created much of the mystique around the best Hitman games, and much of the focus has clearly gone into the provision of that here.

KORNdoggy

ign said:
the fact is that Hitman is leaving the more directed, gameplay-stylized direction of Absolution behind in favor of giving you the freedom to complete your mission in dozens of different ways.

soooo....like all the other hitman games besides absolution then?...how ever did they manage to sell those complete games day 1!!

The only bullet point i need for this game is

1. Is like Blood Money, but expands on that games with even more options, better AI, while utilizing the PS4's specifications to the best of the developer's ability.

I watched the videogamertv preview....wow. Im hyped. Still not totally on board with the distribution model but excited to get my hands on the game.

Xater

it all sounds good, but like many others not a fan of the distribution model. I'll just wait for the whole thing to be out. If I learned anything from episodic releases by the end of the season I can already pick everything up on sale.

Still waiting for my beta code...but at least impressions are positive. Don't let me down, Amazon.

Uuuh don't you only get beta access if you pre-order digitally?

it all sounds good, but like many others not a fan of the distribution model. I'll just wait for the whole thing to be out. If I learned anything from episodic releases by the end of the season I can already pick everything up on sale.

Uuuh don't you only get beta access if you pre-order digitally?

Correct, 0 beta for physical.

So ehh. Do any of these previews address PS4 performance?

The Videogamer preview was quite negative about PS4 performance, and I don't want to waste any more money on games that run like shit this week after buying Firewatch already.

NJD316

Neo Member
Was going to wait until it went physical, but the extreme positivity of the previews is tilting me to jump in come March. Must resist.

Top Bottom