• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newsweek: Researchers successfully cryogenically preserve rabbit brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.newsweek.com/rabbit-brai...rn-successfully-cryopreservation-424913?rx=us

A rabbit’s brain has been successfully cryogenically preserved in long-term storage, marking the first time a whole mammalian brain has been kept in “near-perfect” condition during this process.

It marks a significant breakthrough in the field of cryonics and boosts the prospect of one day bringing frozen human brains back to life.

The researchers’ findings, recently published in the journal Cryobiology, were recognized by the Brain Preservation Foundation, which awarded 21CM the $26,735 Small Mammal Brain Preservation Prize.

The current process used to cryogenically preserve human brains has been criticized for causing massive dehydration to the brain and crushing neural connections. It is believed that this process is too damaging to allow for successful future revival.

Provided this research is accurate, this is an important step for the long-term prospects of cryogenic storage of humans.

Lock if old.

HylianTom

Banned
Excellent. We're one step closer to Time of the Apes!

tumblr_n4l8q0morw1qbwmuuo1_400.gif

BriGuy

"Near-perfect" can still amount to "profoundly retarded" when it comes to matters of the brain. I'm holding out for cyborg enhancements myself. If I can't have a grappling-hook arm with a retractable buzzsaw, I don't see any point in preserving myself for the future.

Toxi

Banned
Unfortunately, the rabbit's vocabulary was reduced to nine words: Fuck, shit, piss, cunt, goddamn, motherfucker, asshole, peepee, and poopoo.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Call me when they throw that brain into a cyborg rabbit and it all works

or even a real rabbit. How are they currently judging whether or not the brain is well preserved exactly?

edit: according to the article, this is done by examine slices of the brain under a microscope.

Also for those unaware, there is a nonprofit organisation called Alcor that will will preserve you upon death so that you can be revived in the future when science is adequate to do so. Reminds me of the ST:TNG episode "The Neutral Zone" where this was depicted, people from our century being revived when they were found preserved by the Enterprise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcor_Life_Extension_Foundation
The Alcor Life Extension Foundation, most often referred to as Alcor, is a Scottsdale, Arizona, USA-based nonprofit organization that researches, advocates for and performs cryonics, the preservation of humans in liquid nitrogen after legal death, with hopes of restoring them to full health when new technology is developed in the future.

As of December 31, 2015, Alcor had 1054 members, 197 associate members and 143 humans in cryopreservation, many as neuropatients[clarification needed] (86 of Alcor patients were neuropatients or brain preservation patients as of May 2015). Alcor also cryopreserves the pets of members. As of November 15, 2007, there were 33 pets in suspension.

Alcor accepts anatomical donations (cryonics cases) under the Uniform Anatomical Gift Act and Arizona Anatomical Gift Act for research purposes, reinforced by a court case in its favor that affirmed a constitutional right to engage in cryopreservation and donate one's body for the purpose. A form of the Uniform Anatomical Gift Act has been passed in all 50 states.

Grym

Sorry. I don't believe it is "near perfect" until they can demonstrate that they can wake it back up from the deep freeze

Nabbis

I dunno... Even with utopian nanotech cellular damage is a very hard endeavor. The metabolical process that keeps our consciousness working is ridiculously overblown in inefficiency thanks to evolution making our bodies different functions interconnected. I really believe that we will have digital preservation centuries before we can actually make a purely biological human immortal. By that time there would be no sense in doing that anyway since we will be able to easily emulate sensory inputs in mechanical bodies.

"Near perfect"

so...what is the part that didn't go perfectly? seems important.

Presumably, that's detailed in the journal article, to which I don't have access.

Sorry. I don't believe it is "near perfect" until they can demonstrate that they can wake it back up from the deep freeze

"Near perfect" in the sense of appearing relatively intact under an electron microscope and being a large improvement over the previous technique.

Jag

I really believe that we will have digital preservation centuries before we can actually make a purely biological human immortal. By that time there would be no sense in doing that anyway since we will be able to easily emulate sensory inputs in mechanical bodies.

I've always thought it would be a combination of biological and mechanical. Memory banks grown in a vat, data input via computer. Far beyond our understanding now, but maybe in the next 100-200 years.

Venture

Also for those unaware, there is a nonprofit organisation called Alcor that will will preserve you upon death so that you can be revived in the future when science is adequate to do so. Reminds me of the ST:TNG episode "The Neutral Zone" where this was depicted, people from our century being revived when they were found preserved by the Enterprise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcor_Life_Extension_Foundation
But there's very little chance that they could be revived, no? Since they were all frozen with the old process.

Nabbis

I've always thought it would be a combination of biological and mechanical. Memory banks grown in a vat, data input via computer. Far beyond our understanding now, but maybe in the next 100-200 years.

That kinda depends on what you actually classify as biological. Metamaterials grown by a process similar to how growth factors cause cell prolifiration could be considered biological in some sense but DNA is a essential part of biology and it's not a very good thing either due to the amount of errors it has or can cause.

pestul

Just imagine how many bunnies they're going through trying this..

Reminds me of Pym Tech with the lambs in Ant-Man.

Jag

Don't you need to be alive so they can freeze your living brain to then defrost it still living?

They can't do it while you are alive based on current law. You have to be clinically dead.

Most of these companies work together, so they will incorporate the latest tech for vitrification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom