• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League has sold close to 4m copies not counting PS+. With PS+ it's over 10m.

Lister

Banned
So PC outsold PS4 almost 3 to 1? What % of the PS4 userbase is Ps+? Maybe it's larger than the 50% of xbox 360's last gen. If they get paid for PS+ copies that's also a big chunk of change there too.

That and exposure ;)

Well, the PS+ thing could've blown up in their face massively, but it worked out quite well. They also did as best they could to stick the landing, launch wise.

But yeah, the non-stupid name and the great WOM/exposure before release are the keys.

zma1013

PS plus really did wonders for this game. The incredible WOM around it was amazing.

Well deserved.

Yeah, I got it during the free month and liked it so much I ended up buying it on PC to play with friends on there too. The game simply wasn't on my radar at all until PS Plus.

Also proof that concepting a new idea at the start of a generation works dramatically better than at the end of one

Too bad none of the big publishers realised this

So PC outsold PS4 3 to 1? What % of the PS4 userbase is Ps+? Maybe it's larger than the 50% of xbox 360's last gen.

Where are you getting this information? Its roughly 4 million across all platforms but not counting the free copies given away through PS+. I don't think they've given any info as to specific numbers per platform.

Gurish

I wonder if PS+ was worth it for them, yea it "sold" a ton, but it's a very desired game, without Plus it could be pretty close to 8 million only they would get the full money on each copy, we don't have the numbers (how much Sony pays them for every Plus copy) but I wonder if they regret this move retrospectively.

impact

Banned
I wonder if PS+ was worth it for them, yea it "sold" a ton, but it's a very desired game, without Plus it could be pretty close to 8 million only they would get the full money on each copy, we don't have the numbers (how much Sony pays them for every Plus copy) but I wonder if they regret this move retrospectively.

The game wouldn't have blown up if it weren't on PS+

Also, I'm pretty sure they get money based on downloads so they're probably being compensated pretty well.

jonno394

There is no way to know whether not being on PS+ would've benefitted it. Word of mouth spread due to the numbers of people who downloaded it "free" and that in turn got people downloading it post PS+.

Putty

I like it. I can see the attraction. Need to get back on it but so many games coming up. Fabulous sales though, truly fabulous.

I highly doubt they regret plus. I mean you could make the argument plus was one of the main reasons it blew up as it did.

I'd say it was very much so worth it. It wouldn't have blown up like this had they just done a regular old release.

I am really, really sceptical on that
Why? People are actively looking for games and the breadth of content is much smaller, it's significantly easier for a new IP to stand out

Not to say all of them will but the huge difference in reception for Rocket League vs the prequel is not just down to name

KRaZyAmmo

that's really good. The game deserves it. Regarding the PS+ of this game. Even if I wasn't gonna get via PS+. I still would have bought it on it's own.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

PS Plus was essentially marketing for them, I doubt they regret it.

Lister

Banned
The game wouldn't have blown up if it weren't on PS+

Also, I'm pretty sure they get money based on downloads so they're probably being compensated pretty well.

I don't think we know that. It certinaly didn't hurt it any though.

Joni

Also proof that concepting a new idea at the start of a generation works dramatically better than at the end of one

Too bad none of the big publishers realised this
Uhh, that is what all publishers think. Sony was the first in a long time to risk a late generation release with the last of us.

I still remember people in the PS Plus games of the month thread complaining that Rocket League looked stupid and bad.

Oh how wrong they were.

So is MS saying the only way to have Cross Play on X1 is if the PC version is on the Windows Store because MS simply prefer it that way?

OR, is there some Microsoft infrastructure thing holding Stream and X1 games from playing together?

Just seems like Microsoft want their own Windows version of the game, instead of allowing cross play with stream...They have always been very hard headed with this...

hawk2025

There is no way to tease out the effects of the non-PS+ counterfactual world here.

Would it have sold 5M otherwise? 6? ...less, if it didn't capture the initial userbase it did?

There's no way to really know.

Ultimately, the proof's in the pudding -- Rocket League has sold more copies directly than the vast majority of AAA games this generation and has a (renegotiated!) PS+ stream to boot, including selling DLC to these 10 million people.

being able to try it for free on ps+ led me to buy it on pc, which now is leading me to buy it again on xbox one to play with my step brother. excellent game

Word of mouth must have exploded because of PS+. I assume they would have simply had a slower build up if not for PS+, but I dont imagine them having the fast success they have now. It feels like PS+ helped them capitalize on the momentum at great speed.

You have a friend who downloads it and loves it. He pesters his friend to try out this new indie game that he would otherwise not even look at. He gets hooked too. It snowballs.

PS+ removes the barrier of making a purchase and since online gamers need it, it becomes that much easier to download.

And that's all they need. The chance to get it into people's hands. Way too much skepticism by people who see Rocket League as another indie downloadable. And for good reason. There are a lot of indie games that are fun for like 5 minutes. No way would people put down $15 like that in my opinion.

I also could have sworn that Sony had to pay a little more for Rocket League, but that could very well be me being mistaken. I dont think it was originally supposed to be a PS+ game, was it?

In any case, I hope Psyonix is happy with the end result and that they can continue the momentum. Retail is perfect especially for certain regions and countries.

I am hoping one day we see awesome licensing for the Simpsons, Futurama, Star Wars, whatever.

Here's what they've said about that

How important was being free on PlayStation Plus to the game's overall success?

Personally, I feel like the game would have been a success (at least to the standards that we were expecting) even without it, but I don't think that it would have been into the stratosphere like it is. We're up to five million players now, most of which come from PS Plus. It was about getting it in the hands of as many people as possible.

Seeing how successful it is, do you regret giving it away for free?

I would be lying if I said I don't think about that, but there's no way to know. PlayStation has been a very, very key role in this whole thing... it seems to be what made it spark and take off.

Nzyme32

Why? People are actively looking for games and the breadth of content is much smaller, it's significantly easier for a new IP to stand out

Not to say all of them will but the huge difference in reception for Rocket League vs the prequel is not just down to name

Disregarding PC where this is clearly disproven, even on console right now there are more games on there than there were at the beginning of the generation. I'd posit that both ps3 and xbox 360 had abysmal ways of discoverability of content for digital games, so it was a mess in the end. I don't think this has anything to do with the "acceptability of concepts" but simply a shit system for discovering content on an old system, and in this case an amazing game with a great concept that was absurdly easily available via ps+ for free, which spurred dialogue and conversation of it, in large part because Europe loves everything soccer and generally a sport related game is well received everywhere on a console.

Those a just a few reasons for this being the case. The prequel, lay undiscovered for so many reasons sure, but did the prequel get a free release to a sizeable audience that could market the unique game? I don't recall that being the case

Top Bottom