• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Sweeney:MS wants to monopolise games development on PC–and we must fight it

ekim

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-pc-games-development-epic-games-gears-of-war

Tim Sweeney is the co-founder of US-based developer, Epic Games, creator of the Gears of War series of Xbox and PC titles, which has sold over 20m units worldwide.

With its new Universal Windows Platform (UWP) initiative, Microsoft has built a closed platform-within-a-platform into Windows 10, as the first apparent step towards locking down the consumer PC ecosystem and monopolising app distribution and commerce.

In my view, this is the most aggressive move Microsoft has ever made. While the company has been convicted of violating antitrust law in the past, its wrongful actions were limited to fights with specific competitors and contracts with certain PC manufacturers.

Much more in the article.

Microsoft's response:
In response to Sweeney’s allegations, Kevin Gallo, corporate vice president of Windows at Microsoft, told the Guardian: “The Universal Windows Platform is a fully open ecosystem, available to every developer, that can be supported by any store. We continue to make improvements for developers; for example, in the Windows 10 November Update, we enabled people to easily side-load apps by default, with no UX required.

“We want to make Windows the best development platform regardless of technologies used, and offer tools to help developers with existing code bases of HTML/JavaScript, .NET and Win32, C+ + and Objective-C bring their code to Windows, and integrate UWP capabilities. With Xamarin, UWP developers can not only reach all Windows 10 devices, but they can now use a large percentage of their C# code to deliver a fully native mobile app experiences for iOS and Android. We also posted a blog on our development tools recently.”

SRTtoZ

Diving into the article now...

Great article and glad someone high profile is speaking out on it. Will read this thread when I wake up here in NY.

Big-Ups to me main man, Sweeney Todd, him be well knowledgeable about what makes the PC.

Sorry, been watching a lot of Ali G clips recently.

Considering how close they've been with MS in the past, pretty big to see a statement from Sweeney regarding this.

Krejlooc

Banned
maxresdefault.jpg

They fear the return of the One Free Man.

Falk

that puzzling face
I can imagine a scenario where Windows 10 eventually says 'okay, you guys making games that run on Windows 10 (which we made everyone install, mwa ha ha) need to use _________' and Linux as an alternative OS actually finally gains critical-mass traction.

Only half-joking

ekim

I don't think the W10 store is mature enough to make W32 applications go anywhere. And it's not like MS is going to block W32 apps in the future (they are not that stupid). So it's a bit hyperbole here but I see where he is coming from.

That's a courageous statement to make, I never expected Sweeney to go public about it.

Yeah, jesus - how bold. I always thought MS and Epic were pretty cosy together.

I think MS ought to actually work on convincing people to engage in their storefront, well before they start pursuing a monopoly.

Renekton

If their API and framework are easier for devs, especially budding ones, then go ahead. XNA was great while it lasted.

After all people are okay with Steam monopoly (to the point of attacking wannabes like Origin / UPlay), Intel monopoly, and welcome the impending Nvidia monopoly with open arms.

m_dorian

If true (and i really hope it is not) it shows that MS does not really want to take a pro-consumer stance, exploiting their position as an OS developer and the only thing they want to do is spin.
Denying options to consumers is all MS seems to be trying to do those past few years and that is greed.

It could have been really easy for MS to make people like Win10 apps/games by offering additional services and features, added value.

Instead they are garbage, the opposite of what PC gamers want, and they make them exclusive because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fuck off MS. You don't understand PC gaming and you never will.

wapplew

Wait, I thought UWP could make porting problem go away, cross play, cross buy, one code all devices, Halo 5 on phones and etc.

Why can't Tim Sweeney just be a real gamer™

If true (and i really hope it is not) it shows that MS does not really want to take a pro-consumer stance, exploiting their position as an OS developer and the only thing they want to do is spin.
Denying options to consumers is all MS seems to be trying to do those past few years and that is greed.

Why would MS ever willing take a pro-consumer stance? History has showed us time and again that they have to be forced into it.

pezley

Banned
Whilst it's definitely going to be dropped and fail... well, because Microsoft. I really don't see how what they are doing is different to Valve only publishing their titles on Steam, or EA on Origin.

It will with out a doubt bring more games to the PC market if UWP games made with with one set of tools in mind work across console and PC. Granted it comes with it's own set of restrictions but developers can choose to just release it on other distribution platforms. Nothing really changes and it certainly wont create a stranglehold.

Corpekata

Banned
Looking forward to all the "But only like 20 people care about these things" posts that get brought up all the time in threads about the Win Store lately.

I don't think the W10 store is mature enough to make W32 applications go anywhere. And it's not like MS is going to block W32 apps in the future (they are not that stupid). So it's a bit hyperbole here but I see where he is coming from.

Well it hardly seems far fetched, that MS would drag their feet in supporting a legacy win32...

ethomaz

Banned
I don't see any issue here since you don't need to use Windows Store for your games.

Of course published MS games will use WS only and they are in the rights to do that.

And steam isn't becoming a monopoly of distribution right? Heh.

one can release a game on steam, and on GOG, and on their own website, and humble store. completely different situations. steam became a "monopoly" (without actually being a monopoly) due to a range of unique circumstances. microsoft are trying to manufacture their own.

Raylan

Banned
Microsoft's response:

In response to Sweeney’s allegations, Kevin Gallo, corporate vice president of Windows at Microsoft, told the Guardian: “The Universal Windows Platform is a fully open ecosystem, available to every developer, that can be supported by any store. We continue to make improvements for developers; for example, in the Windows 10 November Update, we enabled people to easily side-load apps by default, with no UX required.

“We want to make Windows the best development platform regardless of technologies used, and offer tools to help developers with existing code bases of HTML/JavaScript, .NET and Win32, C+ + and Objective-C bring their code to Windows, and integrate UWP capabilities. With Xamarin, UWP developers can not only reach all Windows 10 devices, but they can now use a large percentage of their C# code to deliver a fully native mobile app experiences for iOS and Android. We also posted a blog on our development tools recently.”

oti

Banned
I mean, as long as you can install programs outside of the Win10 store everything's OK, right? If MS wants to sell their exclusive games on Win10 Store that's their choice. Look at Ori. There will be a version on Steam and a version on Win10, or am I missing something?

Krejlooc

Banned
Whilst it's definitely going to be dropped and fail... well, because Microsoft. I really don't see how what they are doing is different to Valve only publishing their titles on Steam, or EA on Origin.

Of the many, many faults in their windows store policies, I'll point out one of the most egregious:

For the record, if you put a game on steam, there are zero obligations for you to sell that game through the steam storefront.
You can generate as many codes for your game as many times as you want, and can sell them anywhere you want.
The only revenue cost to you as a developer where valve explcitly benefit is for sales made directly through the steam storefront.
Selling your game - your game for Steam - via GMG, Humble, eBay, Amazon, your own website, a forum giveaway, your twitch stream, wherever is not prohibited by steam. Steam receives no revenue from those outlets.

Those outlets are all in direct price competition with each other and consumers benefit accordingly outside of a cartel scenario even if "technically have to have steam though!".

Conversely, putting a game as a UWA on the Windows Store makes the Windows Store the only place that title can be purchased.
You are permitted to generate up to 200 promotional codes once every 6 months (IIRC), and you are explicitly forbidden from selling or reselling any of those promo codes or attempting to bypass MS taking a revenue cut in any manner.

I don't see any issue here since you don't need to use Windows Store for your games.

Of course published MS games will use WS only and they are in the rights to do that.

Did you even read the article?
Yes it might be possible to circumvent the Windows store, but it sure ain't easy. And your average Joe will likely not be doing it.

I'm glad this is rustling some jimmies

Guess gaben was that wrong when he was saying that Steam OS was a response to Windows 10 and microsoft locking stuff down!

Wow Tim is holding no punches! Respect him for calling it like it is.

Personally I am not really worried MS will suceeed here. So I have not been so up in arms about this. But I all it takes for MS to triumph is for good people to do nothing. So kudos Tim

Nzyme32

Thank you Tim Sweeney for stepping forward and speaking out

This isn’t like that. Here, Microsoft is moving against the entire PC industry – including consumers (and gamers in particular), software developers such as Epic Games, publishers like EA and Activision, and distributors like Valve and Good Old Games.

Microsoft has launched new PC Windows features exclusively in UWP, and is effectively telling developers you can use these Windows features only if you submit to the control of our locked-down UWP ecosystem. They’re curtailing users’ freedom to install full-featured PC software, and subverting the rights of developers and publishers to maintain a direct relationship with their customers.

Lot's of important stuff in the article, and a good move to get dialogue and fight going from Epic's founder. Really hope others really take this fight to Microsoft and instigate change

Corpekata

Banned

Do you think that's their goal, just release like 10 games a year and call it a day? Half of the article is about addressing why very few third parties will be interested in what they are doing. If MS only gets their own games up there, the initiative is going to fail, and that can end up being pretty bad for customers in a few years.

riflen

Tim Sweeney said:
Microsoft’s intentions must be judged by Microsoft’s actions, not Microsoft’s words. Their actions speak plainly enough: they are working to turn today’s open PC ecosystem into a closed, Microsoft-controlled distribution and commerce monopoly, over time, in a series of steps of which we’re seeing the very first

Great to see such a high-profile developer with a history of working with Microsoft write this piece. It's exactly what many of us were positing is the recent UWP threads, only to be told that we were insane alarmists spreading fud.

How many actually use the Windows store? I remember reading an article how the store is full of scammy/copycat apps and Microsoft basically don't give a fuck.

And steam isn't becoming a monopoly of distribution right? Heh.

Steam became a monopoly because people like the service they provide and over years of loyalty, Steam ended up becoming the face of PC gaming. MS is trying to take this shit by force, despite having failed to do so in the past, not exactly building much reason for people to consider it a viable alternative to Steam/GOG/uPlay/Origin/Etc.

Corpekata

Banned
How many actually use the Windows store? I remember reading an article how the store is full of scammy/copycat apps and Microsoft basically don't give a fuck.

The 8 store is. 10 store isn't nearly as bad as that one was, though it doesn't have much of interest for PC users right now anyway. Still feels like a phone and tablet store.

I mean, as long as you can install programs outside of the Win10 store everything's OK, right? If MS wants to sell their exclusive games on Win10 Store that's their choice. Look at Ori. There will be a version on Steam and a version on Win10, or am I missing something?

you're missing the article. read it.

That was the Windows 8 store where they just gave up on it after a year.

I think they basically did a mini do over with Windows 10 and are actually trying again (until they probably give up in a year)

Top Bottom