• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X 1/48 Skell/Doll transformable figure available for preorder

Edit: Model kit that needs to be built.

Back in April 2015 Monolith Soft announced that Kotobukiya would produce a model kit based on the Formula model Doll/Skell and showed off a prototype.

img_spwelcome17L04_thumb.jpg

img_spwelcome17L05_thumb.jpg

Now the Formula Skell is available for preorder in Japan. It's able to transform into vehicle form and comes with four weapons. It's scheduled for a July 2016 release.

It's 175 mm (a little less than 7 inches) tall and 1/48 scale and the list price is 8,424 yen but it's available for lower from the websites below. AmiAmi has it for 5,720 yen which is a little less than $51 dollars based on current exchange rates.

10_000000003158.jpg

Some websites International people can preorder from.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=TOY-RBT-4056&page=top

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10377656

Not sure what the current state of imports is as this will be the first thing I've imported since the Kid Icarus Figmas.

TOY-RBT-4056.jpg

5_000000003158.jpg

885x.jpg

Edit:

Be aware that this is a plastic model. You need to build it yourself.

Didn't realize this. Could a mod edit the title to change figure into model kit?

Edit 2:

Here's mine. No paint, no decals.
73VQnxm.png
Oneaiqb.png
jR2QKck.png
HZIal0U.png

Keep in mind the above as stated doesn't have the included sticker decals applied like the center circle.

I've been waiting for this since I first found out about it, I was scared I was going to miss the boat. Good thing I was browsing gaf at half-past midnight!

Thanks for the heads up :)

Shun

Also beware that this is Kotobukiya and you will probably need to paint in the finer details cuz they not Bandai quality. Or you get a shit ton of stickers.

Plus transforming? This thing is gonna be a brick. Buying anyway but shit. This is gonna be such a bad model articulation wise.

Damn, that looks absolutely sweet. Should have came with the game in a collectors edition or something.

You underestimate how big or expensive plamo is.

Also beware that this is Kotobukiya and you will probably need to paint in the finer details cuz they not Bandai quality.

Yes, guys please listen to Shun. Kotobukiya's kits are good in details but bad in coloring. You need to paint to make them look good.

I will buy it anyway. Recently Nintendo's related goods are really sucking up my money. I need to buy this and Fire Emblem Fates OST.

Also beware that this is Kotobukiya and you will probably need to paint in the finer details cuz they not Bandai quality. Or you get a shit ton of stickers.

Plus transforming? This thing is gonna be a brick. Buying anyway but shit. This is gonna be such a bad model articulation wise.

You underestimate how big or expensive plamo is.

Sorry. I edited to OP and hopefully a mod updates the title. It actually did say model kit on the news stories and store pages I saw.

When I saw it was transformable and it looked a lot like my Evangelion Revoltechs my mind automatically assumed figure.

I collect a lot of merchandise including a ton of figures but the only models I've bought were some 1/144 scaled Gundam Wing mobile suits from an anime convention years ago.

Fou-Lu

Did Xenogears ever have model kits? I'd love to have a kit of Weltall.

Definitely considering ordering this one though, looks great. Even if there are skells I would prefer to have.

vareon

I built a lot of Gundam but never made a Koto kit (I kinda want EOIV's Imperial Girl kit though). It's not that much of a leap, right?

Shun

I built a lot of Gundam but never made a Koto kit (I kinda want EOIV's Imperial Girl kit though). It's not that much of a leap, right?

It's not hard to build. Plastic quality is just softer and again, even though there is more details you will NEED to paint it or deal with really shitty stickers or bad color separation.

Bandai makes kit building easier. Kotobukiya you will need to put in some work if you want accuracy and a really nice finished piece.

There's a reason why Kotobukiya does more niche kits and Bandai doesn't.

Please everyone read up and educate yourself before buying this and realizing it is not prebuilt.

Sorry. I edited to OP and hopefully a mod updates the title. It actually did say model kit on the news stories and store pages I saw.

When I saw it was transformable and it looked a lot like my Evangelion Revoltechs my mind automatically assumed figure.

I collect a lot of merchandise including a ton of figures but the only models I've bought were some 1/144 scaled Gundam Wing mobile suits from an anime convention years ago.

I am crazy to models kits so I have been excited to see this up for pre-order for a long time. I really hope this is not one-off and Kotobukiya will continue to release more skell kits in the future as their designs are top-notch, especially Amdusias, Almandal and Vasara.

PK Gaming

Get armed, Don't look back
Shoot them with your guns
Yes, Get up, Don't give up
Shoot them
All the power you got

Hello... ? Is this thing on? Am I all alone?
Is anyone there?
I need a bigger gun Help if you can

Please wake me up
Not to sound cliche
But this world sucks!

I'll get this some day

Please everyone read up and educate yourself before buying this and realizing it is not prebuilt.
I worry that people aren't going to listen to this. :(

That said, I don't mind painting and have had no problems with Koto kits in the past, so this sort of shit is fine for me, but you're definitely right in that it should be approached like a kit that SHOULD be painted as opposed to it just being optional.

vareon

It's not hard to build. Plastic quality is just softer and again, even though there is more details you will NEED to paint it or deal with really shitty stickers or bad color separation.

Bandai makes kit building easier. Kotobukiya you will need to put in some work if you want accuracy and a really nice finished piece.

There's a reason why Kotobukiya does more niche kits and Bandai doesn't.

Thanks. Since I have the painting ability of a sloth I think I'll preorder and then wait for reviews before I decide to paint it or be fine with whatever quality the plastic color have.

squadr0n

I got a Metal Gear Rex model kit from them a few months ago and its really good quality. Close to most Gunpla quality models. Will be buying as soon as its on Amazon!

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know any good sites with guides and translated color manuals? It'd be my first kit so I'm totally green.

Ninferno

Just to share a bit of my experience with Kotobukiya. Although I'm mainly a gunpla guy, I do have a few model kits from Koto, mostly Super Robot War OG stuffs. Generally, I think they are behind Bandai in terms of modelling technology and quality of plastic. Their parts don't fit as well as Bandai's; the maneuverability is also not as high. The plastic feels cheap, unpolished and fragile. However, I think they are pretty good in the coloring department. Sure, some painting will make them look much better but I think that they are pretty acceptable out of box as well.

My Mass-produced Gespenst Mk-II Custom before any paint job, I think it looks great:
gas_zpsmlrghrjp.jpg

And this was a kit back in 2012 I think, so maybe Koto has continued to improve since then?

Again, for a small company like Koto (much much smaller than Bandai), it is wise to expect some inconsistency in the quality and design among different models. How good one model's coloring, details, maneuverability, and such could be pretty much situational. Anyway, I have pre-ordered my Formula and am excited to see how it turns out, in July that is:(

Ninferno

I want that, but I wouldn't even know how to start building it, and it certainly wouldn't get painted.

A manual included in the box will guide you step by step in building it so you don't have to worry about that. The real question is really do you think the price tag can be justified.

Seik

Banned
I shouldn't spend money on this, just bought a tablet...

It does look very good...

I want it...fuck.

CONCH0BAR

Man, I've been waiting for this for a while. I saw it go up earlier today and I instantly preordered it without a second thought. Can't wait to get it.

Top Bottom