• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not confirmed: Dark Souls 3 PC framerate to be locked at 30 fps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpsepyre

Banned
So, came across this post on Reddit just now. Take it for what it's worth.

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/49or9d/bandai_namcos_store_supports_reply_to_my_pc/

'I don't know if it makes a difference but some days ago i contacted Bandai Namco store's online support enquiring about the PC version's framerate, i got a reply just now.. Here's what it says.'

Kw3ONGO.jpg

Aomber

And it'll be unlocked within a day by DSFix. Not sure what they accomplish by doing this when they know that.

aravuus

Doubt a support person from the online store team would really know anything for a fact

But we'll see. A fucking bummer if it is locked.

It's probably just an uninformed support person (no offense to her). That would be really weird after DSII being 60FPS.

Vlaphor

Dark Souls 2 PC was 60 fps. Why would they go backwards and lock this one?

Maybe because of all of the issues it caused. Having equipment break down at twice the rate is why I stopped playing it and now that it's fixed, I have no desire to go back to it

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't they say that the release version should be running at 60fps and the preview build was 6 month old and therefor locked at 30fps?

Dark Souls 2 PC was 60 fps. Why would they go backwards and lock this one?

It was just unlocked and had all kinds of issues because of that. Double fps meant double item degrading in fights for example. Other bugs because of it too. From Software has a trackrecord for being a very bad dev tech wise, especially on PC. Let's not forget the 720p Dark Souls 1 which required a modder exactly one day to pump up to a normal 1080p.

So yeah, i can see this. From Software being incompetent once again.

Another "find the most clueless person at a company, ask them about technical details for a game, and turn their possible misinformation into a story" story.

From Software has a trackrecord for being a very bad dev tech wise, especially on PC. Let's not forget the 720p Dark Souls 1 which required a modder exactly 15 minutes to pump up to a normal 1080p.

Fixed.

edit: added "possible" before misinformation

Arkeband

Banned
And it'll be unlocked within a day by DSFix. Not sure what they accomplish by doing this when they know that.

DSFix doesn't solve the logic they tied to framerate, so you can imagine the problems the Bloodborne engine will run into when you force it to 60.

People seem to forget that even 60fps DS2 had issues because of this, most notably weapon durability.

Wagram

While I actually do believe it will be 30 fps at the end of the day. I don't think a Namco Support person would have a single clue about what the fps is other than old PR information.

Nzyme32

Weird if true. If so, hopefully another "anonymous" Japanese person will post the appropriate memory addresses to Durante again

kewlmyc

Why are we assuming the help desk knows what it's talking about in regard to the technical aspects of a game that isn't out yet?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Why are we assuming the help desk knows what it's talking about in regard to the technical aspects of a game that isn't out yet?

Well, the help desk person cared to mention that it was, unfortunately, capped to 30 fps at this point, or planned to. So, there's that. The help desk person made a positive statement rather than choosing to not reply or saying that nothing was set in stone at this point.

Horp

No buy for me then.
And I'll do my best to be vocal about my disappointment with them if this is the case.

Oh and dont assume 60 with DS2 as argument. This is the Bloodborne engine. We have only seen 30 fps from this engine so far.

Grief.exe

We've seen 60 fps gameplay trailers though

This rumor originated at an event where they were demoing the PC version for the press and fans. It was reported that the framerste had been locked to 30 FPS at the event, but that could have been done for performance reasons. The development is probably going through numerous optimization patches right now, and the demo build is likely old.

I wouldn't put too much stock in this rumor.

nowarning

I hope not, no way I can go back to 30fps after playing 144fps for so long. I had a quick go on DS1 the other day without DSfix, it's awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom