• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13 years ago today the best fighting game port of all time arrived on PS2

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
another excuse to talk about VF4EVO!

OLQqoae.jpg

today, 13 years ago, Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution arrived on the Playstation 2. In all that time between then and now, it has yet to be unseated as the best arcade to console port.
Why, oneida? what is with you and this game?

VF4EVO is the update to VF4, like SSFIV was to SFIV. it added 2 new characters (Brad and Goh) and system mechanics such as the ability to recover from certain attacks in a combo that would, in previous versions, guarantee pursuit attacks.

When it came time to bring the game to the Playstation 2, many more significant improvements over the previous version were undergone. Firstly, VF4EVO simply performs better on PS2 than VF4 vanilla did. The load times are shorter and the models look nicer. This is most obvious when comparing Dural in each version:

VF4 vanilla (PS2)
tumblr_ni75wrmqdT1slig2vo2_400.gif

VF4EVO (PS2)
tumblr_nithdsoBLF1slig2vo1_400.gif

(the glowing eyes happen if you reach Dural within a certain time frame, ignore them...)

----------------profiles-------------------

tumblr_ngw2mi3voC1slig2vo1_400.gif

Now before I break down everything that's good about this game I want to start with something that contextualizes all of it. VF4EVO on PS2 has a profile system similar to the player card system in the arcade. As you play the game, whether you're playing versus mode with a friend, arcade mode, quest mode, and even the game's tutorials, you can earn money used to customize your character. by the way, it's not just costumes - you can unlock hidden win poses too.

tumblr_neyo9kwmuY1slig2vo1_400.gif

tumblr_neyo9kwmuY1slig2vo2_400.gif

But yeah, you can buy the VF1 version of your character and play as them. Even if they weren't in VF1. Because why not?

It's hard to put this into words but VF4EVO's profile mode really brings everything about the game together in such a satisfying way. Yes, the tutorial mode is amazing. Quest mode is addictive and immensely rewarding. But it's because you can take all you've accomplished in the game along with you on your memory card to your bud's house or to EVO, it's because of that it doesn't ever feel like you're just twiddling your thumbs. It feels like you're progressing. It's really nice!

----------------tutorial------------------

41EtaaM.jpg

This is a huge bullet point for a lot of people about this game and I'm going to try and fully explain why VF4EVO's tutorial is so well regarded.

One thing I hear about learning Street Fighter is that it's easy because of the abundance of information. Strategies, combos, matchup information --- this stuff can be tracked down with little difficulty because a billion people play Street Fighter so you can huck a rock at EventHubs and land on useful information.

But rewind thirteen years and imagine that you didn't have to go to EventHubs or the SRK forums to find out how to correctly play your game. Imagine it was just part of the game.

That's the case with VF4EVO. Firstly, the systems tutorial is expansive and covers everything you need to play the game correctly, including everything from the game's option selects to general strategy of how to use frame advantage. It really hammers this stuff in, too - you don't just have to do this evade dash cancel correctly. You have to do it three times! If you mess up, the game will tell you what you're doing wrong. Additionally, for every exercise in the game, there's a demonstration of what you're supposed to do, usually including a command display so you can actually see the button inputs, too. Beyond the general systems tutorial there's character-specific tutorials which teach you some moves to use and how to react when they're blocked and how to capitalize on the situation when they land. At the end of this there are optimized combos for various situations that you can practice. Honestly I find these very relaxing and will often just kill time in combo trials if I don't feel like doing anything else in the game.

There's also challenges in the tutorial, little specific missions where you have to win a round with a ringout or break a stagger and block the followup attack 3 times, stuff like that. These just reinforce the information that the general tutorials provide, and they're nice but I usually forget about them.

Lastly I want to mention one of the best modes in the Tutorial.
For every character in the game, you can practice reacting to punishable moves. In VF, some moves are punishable with attacks, that's guaranteed damage. Others are punishable only with throws, which can always be escaped. Others are neither throw nor attack punishable, but do yield frame advantage so sticking out a mid is a good idea. This mode in the tutorial will take any character you want and randomly attack with moves which fit into these 3 categories, and you must correctly respond to each one like 10 times in a row. If it's strike punishable, block then P,K. If it's throw punishable, block then throw. If it's neither, block then elbow.

I cannot express how helpful this is in learning how to handle fighting a character you're not too familiar with.

----------------quest mode------------------

lwIV85J.jpg

OK, thanks for sticking with me because I know this is a lot of reading. Onto Quest Mode.

Quest mode is outstanding. As you probably know, Quest mode attempts to simulate what it's like to climb the ladder playing VF competitively in Japan. It uses a kyu/dan ranking system which has appeared in other games as well. In this mode, you travel to different arcades and start playing AI opponents which (eventually) are modeled after real players, using tendencies like favoring certain throws and moves and doing max damage combos. The mode is called 'Quest mode' because for each arcade you can accept and complete quests (Win a match against Vanessa, Do a 4 hit combo, etc) which reinforce good play and give you more money to buy stupid clothing with.

Actually, about that, I want to mention that the shop isn't strictly cosmetic stuff. There's some very cool videos you can buy which show off feats, like this one-handed SPOD!

tumblr_ncufq9uPTf1slig2vo1_400.gif

Neat!

Anyway, you complete quests and mow down your opponents to qualify for tournaments, winning tournaments opens up new arcades and the process repeats with more difficult opponents. The mode is incredibly addictive and I hope that if you haven't played this game at all you'll at least give Quest mode a try. Unlike modes like Arcade, QM really tries to give you an authentic experience, and as someone who really likes going to tournaments I have to say this is the closest any game has gotten to giving me "tourney jitters"! As a side note there are some goofy side tournaments which change the game's properties which are good for a laugh.

----------------the rest of it------------------

tumblr_ncugt6WaRS1slig2vo1_400.gif
tumblr_niavtcEGGv1slig2vo1_400.gif

I don't want to sell any of these features short, as they're all rad as hell, but this post has become a wall of text so I'm going to try and wrap this up.

Tournament replays
This game has tournament replays on the disc! Japanese exhibition matches from some of the world's top players like Oshu and Chibita complete with frame-by-frame progression and a command display that shows what each player is doing. VF4 had these too, but there was no command display and not every character was represented very well. Not the case here! These replays are rad and I really wish more games would try to do this.

Training mode
VF4EVO's training mode does some really cool stuff: 3 options for command display and the option to play at half-speed to practice option selects come to mind immediately. Since the game has multiple throw-escape, you can also randomize which throws the CPU use to practice that. The game will tell you what throws you escaped vs what throw the CPU attempted. Pretty cool.

Virtua Fighter Anniversary
This was released as a separate game in Europe and Japan but comes on the VF4EVO disc for the NA release. Basically it's VF1 with VF4EVO movelists and characters with every character "demade" to look like VF1.

That price tag...
VF4EVO is cheap as dirt today and it was cheap as dirt in 2003, too. The game launched under the "Greatest Hits" branding so it was $20 day one. I really want to dwell on this for a moment because the question of valuing fighting games has become a hot topic in the wake of Street Fighter V getting blown up for offering comparably nothing for $60. I understand that for some people, having the system alone is worth $60 and probably even more. But imagine if we didn't let publishers think that was acceptable? Imagine if THIS ^^^ became the standard instead?

----------------conclusion------------------

These days VF4EVO can be found in most hole in the wall shops for like $3. It's so cheap that I literally buy the game everytime I find a copy and give them out for free to people who ask me for one. (don't have any now, but let me know if you're interested and I might check the usual spots soon.) I really hope that if you come across this game and don't have it in your collection, you'll consider picking it up. It's really an outstanding release that offers so much to do even if you're playing by yourself, which you probably will be since it's A. VF and B. old. Let's look back and appreciate everything AM2 did for this release and hope that moving forward we can expect similar labors of love for fans of fighting games.

lHw2W4H.jpg

Quest Mode is amazing. Releasing for $20 was a smart idea. I bought the game because of the price and ended up really, really loving it.

What I wouldn't give for the single player content and quality AI this game had in a Capcom game.

Truly the greatest fighting game port, agreed op. It had everything.

Bebpo

Banned
VF4 Evo is the best home fighting game ever (and VF5 is close behind).

The problem with VF4 Evo's Quest Mode and customization appeal is that DLC has killed it from ever becoming a reality again. Instead of the lengthy satisfaction of winning and unlocking more and more items, you'll just need to buy them for $$ in a pack and then you have them all and that's it.

There's been good cases of DLC out there so I'm not gonna hate on all DLC, but DLC has killed fighting game customization which is really depressing.

Soltype

Easily the best fighting game ever released, nothing touched vf4:evo until 5 came out and that was only better in terms of game play.

13 years ago, the New Benchmark for Fighters was delivered.

Too few realized it.

Too few bought it.

Too few learned with it.

And NO ONE copied it.

Shameful.

Anywho, this and its preversion taught me Akira and Vanessa, and for that, I am really glad. Game just fucking flows in-battle. Great momentum.

i won't lie , the first time i started this game there was SO MUCH to do that i felt overwelmed and shut the console off.

Great game BTW.

And yes the tutorial's crazy good.

I bought VF4 as one of my first games for PS2 when I made the jump to the system after Dreamcast. I thought it sucked. When VF4Evo was announced for $20, I had to get it despite hating VF4 because I was a sucker. So glad I did that because I instantly loved VF4Evo.

oneida

BTW this game emulates poorly so PS2 is sadly still the best way to play it. its also available as a PS2 classic on the EU PSN store but ive heard that some stages have serious slowdown.

Synth

BTW this game emulates poorly so PS2 is sadly still the best way to play it. its also available as a PS2 classic on the EU PSN store but ive heard that some stages have serious slowdown.

Yup, I bought it as a PS2 classic... don't do it people.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
VF's Quest mode is the single best thing I've ever played in a fighting game. It was amazing in 4, it was amazing in 5. How other companies didn't try to rip it off, I'll never know.

Amen - pound for pound the best entry in the VF series too. Put hours and hours into quest mode, still to date the best single player experience in a fighter. Really hoping Sony puts this out as a PS2 for PS4 entry. Or better yet, Sega just gives us a VF Collection. God, I dream of the day.

^ As above - SP in a fighter was perfected over a decade ago, why have we never seen it's like since?? Makes SFV's missteps look all the more egregious by contrast.

Tizoc

This game needs to be on PS4.

Also OP you disappoint me:
VF3 released in 1996
VF Kids released in 1996 as well apparently

oneida

Does it actually look exactly like the arcade or what actual differences were there? textures? looks of anything changed?
The arcade version has slightly better textures and models. What makes this the best port is how it leverages the PS2 hardware to be arcade perfect where it matters, and to provide more supplemental material than any arcade->home port ever.

oneida

VF3 released in 1996
i'll probably do a write up for VF3 some time this year :) love the game, own the arcade board but i fried the power supply!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Pretty nice graphics for ps2.

It blew my mind on an LCD with the water stage on a demo unit. I didn't even know the PS2 could render something like that at the time coming from X-box/DOA3.

Also it blows my mind that Quest mode was included in VF5 but not VF5:Final Showdown. I get that was a downloadable title, but COME ON Sega.

My then roommate and I put in some serious time into this game. Hundreds of hours... loved it.

My Wolf costume was glorious, title belts, gold medals, and a shiny flowing robe.

Synth

VF3 released in 1996

Are you about to make a case for Virtua Fighter 3 representing the greatest port of a fighting game ever?

Let's hear it. :)

RAIDEN1

For those that don't have access to a PS2, looks like right now this game is only for a select audience..

For those that don't have access to a PS2, looks like right now this game is only for a select audience..

Hence this line:

13 years ago, the New Benchmark for Fighters was delivered.

Too few realized it.

Too few bought it.

Too few learned with it.

And NO ONE copied it.

Shameful.

Anywho, this and its preversion taught me Akira and Vanessa, and for that, I am really glad. Game just fucking flows in-battle. Great momentum.

Game design evolution is a fickle thing.

I never liked Virtua Fighter...

Until one day I walked into gamestop and they had VF4 on display. I played it and loved it. Purchased the game on the spot.

Purchased VF4EVO on the day it released. Good times.

Would love if they released it again on PS4

oneida

As someone who has only played VF5, may you elaborate on why you consider 4 to be superior? Just curious.
I actually prefer the gameplay of 5FS to 4Evo. I prefer the base game of 4Evo for reasons which compose the OP.

kunonabi

I had tried to get into VF several times but it never clicked. I always thought it was painfully overrated until I decided to give it one last shot with VF4evo. It was cheap and it had a judo character so I figured why the hell not. That tutorial showed me the light and VF is pretty much my favorite right after Vampire Savior. I still pine for Final Tuned but I honestly kind of like VF4evo more than I like VF5 to be honest.

Alx

As someone who has only played VF5, may you elaborate on why you consider 4 to be superior? Just curious.

I'm no expert in VF (played them all, but only my own way, I never went too deep into the fighting mechanics), but the major difference I felt between 4 and 5 was the evade/dodge motion. They required a much more precise timing in VF4 to be effective, and you didn't have that P+K+G command to trigger it manually, it depended on your reaction to a character attack. (I still prefer the free-form evading of VF3 by the way).
There were also crazy command buffering in 4, where you could stack multiple throw escapes and dodges in the character input before it even moves, but I only know about those because of the deep tutorial, I'm not even sure they kept it in 5 or not.

I did like VF4 Evo and its quest mode, but I was a bit disappointed that it was missing the AI mode of regular VF4.

Tizoc

Are you about to make a case for Virtua Fighter 3 representing the greatest port of a fighting game ever?

Let's hear it. :)

Hey you are the one who said it, I never insinuated it, but 13 is an unlucky number and multiple of 5s are the general milestone values.

Besides we wouldn't have VF4 if not for the stuff introduced in VF3 that would lead to VF4 being the awesome game everyone praises it for.

Amen - pound for pound the best entry in the VF series too. Put hours and hours into quest mode, still to date the best single player experience in a fighter. Really hoping Sony puts this out as a PS2 for PS4 entry. Or better yet, Sega just gives us a VF Collection. God, I dream of the day.

^ As above - SP in a fighter was perfected over a decade ago, why have we never seen it's like since?? Makes SFV's missteps look all the more egregious by contrast.

SF5 isn't the only fighting game that ever released between VF4 and now :V

AmyS

I'd really appreciate a PSN / XBL Virtua Fighter 4 release that included arcade VF4, VF4 Evolution and Final Tuned. Remember that Virtua Fighter 2 on PSN / XBLA included both VF2 and VF2.1

Here's a 60fps Youtube video of VF4 captured on actual NAOMI 2 hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdh-Ue1we9k

Beautiful fighting game.

Synth

Hey you are the one who said it, I never insinuated it, but 13 is an unlucky number and multiple of 5s are the general milestone values.

Besides we wouldn't have VF4 if not for the stuff introduced in VF3 that would lead to VF4 being the awesome game everyone praises it for.

Well, I just thought that if we're going to be disappointed with Oneida for not talking about VF3 in a thread about the best port of a fighter (not the best fighter period), then I'd expect there to be some good reasons why VF3 should be mentioned in this context.

If you're disappointed that he made a VF4Evo thread, rather than a "10 years ago Virtua Fighter 3 did the fucking impossible"... then I guess I can agree with that. :p

VF Kidz can die in a fire though (the endings can stay)... I have some bad memories attached to that game.

Top Bottom