• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Google messed up the mouse wheel scrolling with a Chrome update

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning, I noticed that the scrolling with the mouse wheel was all stuttery on Chrome. Before, it was butter smooth. I have a mouse whose wheel spins without restraints, which allowed me to scroll through web pages as smoothly as doing so with a finger on a tablet or phone. I think it was changed with an update because I noticed the download screen was completely redesigned.

Is this happening to others? I'm on Windows 7, btw.

They did update something, my scrolling sort of has acceleration/easing now. Also got a new downloads page. Never used to have that. Maybe try reinstall?

Chrome completely broke the google play music site. I tried turning off every single extension and is still not loading.

I have to go on incog mode to access my google music library.

They also broke running in full screen mode on Windows 8 a few weeks back. Maybe I was the only person who took advantage of that, but I loved it.

To be more precise, by "stuttery", I mean that now it scrolls in "blocks", similarly to scrolling in Windows folders.

I also *feel* a bit of acceleration between scrolling of the "blocks". But yeah I know what you're talking about and have the same issue for the last day now.

Pejo

I've been noticing stuttered scrolling (sometimes randomly goes up and down) for a month or two now, on both my work and home PC. It's really fucking frustrating, and it only happens in Chrome. I disabled all add-ons and it's still doing it. I scroll by clicking the wheel and dragging the mouse around now though, for better or worse.

To be more precise, by "stuttery", I mean that now it scrolls in "blocks", similarly to scrolling in Windows folders.

It was always stuttery to me compared to Firefox (both on Windows). That's why I had to install an extension called "Chromium Wheel Smooth Scroller". Do you have any extensions installed that might be interacting with the Chrome update, OP?

EDIT - I suggest trying the extension. It still improves things (I just checked) and it's very configurable.

Groof

Chrome completely broke the google play music site. I tried turning off every single extension and is still not loading.

I have to go on incog mode to access my google music library.
Yo this happened to me too. Might have to try a reinstall

about:flags Disable optimized scrolling.

I... think this solved the issue? It's weird. I forget how it was exactly before. In my mind, it was as smooth as scrolling with the touchpad on my Macbook, but maybe that wasn't the case.

That being said, it is better, so thanks.

edit: ok, yeah, this solved the issue, haha. Sweet.

For me Chrome now automatically de-throttles scrolls when reaching top or bottom of the page which is really annoying when you have smooth scrolling disabled: the last scroll seems to take twice as much effort

edit: It seems that Chrome had put smooth scrolling back on for whatever reasons. Weird.

Dicer

Banned
For me Chrome now automatically de-throttles scrolls when reaching top or bottom of the page which is really annoying when you have smooth scrolling disabled: the last scroll seems to take twice as much effort

Wow, this has to be on the short list for the the ultimate first world problem...

That isn't happening to me, OP. Hopefully you can get some help. But...

Latest Chrome is randomly reloading pages on my site. Seems like the tab crashes and then reloads. Hope they fix it.

This is happening to me at work. It's not incredibly annoying but I do hope for a fix.

gamz

This morning, I noticed that the scrolling with the mouse wheel was all stuttery on Chrome. Before, it was butter smooth. I have a mouse whose wheel spins without restraints, which allowed me to scroll through web pages as smoothly as doing so with a finger on a tablet or phone. I think it was changed with an update because I noticed the download screen was completely redesigned.

Is this happening to others? I'm on Windows 7, btw.

Upgrade to 10.

spuckthew

I noticed this on my work PC. The feeling was immediately different as it happened in the middle of a particularly research-heavy day for me, so naturally I was reading a lot of articles online (and hence scrolling a lot).

Maybe I've just gotten used to it, but it actually feels better now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Chrome has never had smooth scrolling, though...? At least not with a regular mouse wheel. It has always scrolled in notches for me. Still does.

Odd, because the latest update finally added smooth scrolling to the Linux version. And it works great.

Really? Why is this not in the Windows/Mac versions?

EDIT: Just realized I have only updated to the latest version on my MBP, where smooth scrolling apparently isn't available. Will have to try it on my Windows laptop when I get home.

Don't you guys use auto-scroll with middle mouse button?

It's accurate and fast. Much better than scrolling manually three lines at a time by wheel.

Skux

Disabled this as soon as I saw it happening.

Omg just as I was typing "fuck off" I noticed font ligatures on the word "off" as well. Fuck outta here with those too.

Aphexian

This is happening to me too.

They definitely changed something with mouse scrolling, but I can't pinpoint it. (Windows 7)

I have this issue as well. It will also randomly scroll the opposite direction for a second then continue scroll as well as every 10-15th scroll being a shorter distance than the others. It's all messed up.

RedToad64

It feels significantly smoother to me since a few days ago. They definitely changed something and it probably broke for some users.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
It's done that for years, maybe it's just easier to notice now. They used to have an option for smooth scrolling, but it never made it out of "beta" before they removed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom