• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zombie Vikings is the local CoOp Castle Crasher spiritual successor I've waited for

RexNovis

Banned
So I picked up Zombie Vikings for PS4 during the most recent sale as I am a real sucker for good side scrolling beat em ups. The game itself is made by Swedish developer Zoink Games and sports some really fantastic artwork that caught my eye (it actually received my vote for PS+ in lieu of the winner BroForce). I went in expecting a very short and shallow experience and was incredibly impressed with what turned out to be a full featured coop brawler with varied unique playable characters (including some that are homages to Psychonauts), weapon upgrades, ability modifiers and some genuinely gut busting humor. The artwork and humor in the game actually reminds me a lot of the old nickelodeon show "Ahhh Real Monsters!" It just has a lot of character and I have had an absolute blast playing through it with friends. It also supports both local and online coop and both work really well. Here are some screenshots and gameplay videos for the game for those curious:

ZOMBIE%2BVIKINGS1-tile.jpg

Here are some gameplay videos. Here is a short video of coop gameplay

Heres a coop impressions video in German.

These are all early game so as not spoil later areas/bosses but rest assured there is variety in locale/art later on in the game and also keep in mind some of these videos are single player videos. CoOp is where this game really shines.

Now despite being a fantastic game for the most part there have been a few things I've taken issue with thus far. The first being that the game is incredibly easy for the first 5 or so levels to the point where there is little challenge at all. Things ramp up a bit as you progress but as of where I currently am its never felt like a significant challenge apart from two of the boss fights. Another issue I had with the game is the throwing mechanic. The way throwing is integrated in the gameplay makes it an essential tool for the player to use but the actual mechanics and controls behind it feel unpredictable and imprecise. This is especially true of the extended jump mechanic you are supposed to get when throwing an object whilst jumping. It seems fairly hit or miss for me when trying and there doesnt seem to be much rhyme or reason as to when it works and when it doesnt at least not that I've have figured out thus far. The final issue I've had with the game is that for some reason there is a minute + long loading screen every time you start up the game and while its a small thing I have to say it bothers me having to wait for it every time.

However, those few flaws aside I have been LOVING my time with the game so far. I fele like this game has been almost entirely overlooked and that makes me really sad. I encourage other fans of coop sidescrolling beatemups like Castle Crashers to give this one a shot.

Nesther

I liked their previous game, Stick it to the Man, a lot. Reminded me of Psychonauts. Might give this game a try! Wanted it more than Grow Home anyway.

5amshift

Banned
I'm featured in the game thanks to the great people over at Zoink :) Find me and my red shoes slummin' it on a few levels!
Zoink seriously has an amazing, comical and all around great supported staff for an indie dev.

ZoinkGames

Neo Member
Hi!

We got our account approved awhile back but this is our first post. We're Zoink Games and we made this game :) Feel free to ask us anything. Preferably about our games so we know the answers (or at least can google them)

Brofield

Hi!

We got our account approved awhile back but this is our first post. We're Zoink Games and we made this game :) Feel free to ask us anything. Preferably about our games so we know the answers (or at least can google them)

You already have a sale from me as soon as my next paycheque comes in for this game! What I've seen so far I'm really liking; it's a shame I haven't heard of it earlier.

Kinda curious though about what OP mentions with the throwing and jump mechanics. Is there a particular pattern or rhythm you need to really make the most of it?

Drinkel

Kinda curious though about what OP mentions with the throwing and jump mechanics. Is there a particular pattern or rhythm you need to really make the most of it?
There is no real rhythm involved outside of pressing the attack button at the peak of a jump. I'm curious if there is some confusion of what button to use, (going to use Playstation buttons here) pressing the throw button (circle) whilst holding an object and being airborne makes the player throw the object(in an arc or straight ahead depending on if you charge it or not), but pressing attack (square) whilst holding an object and being airborne causes the player to "double jump" by smashing the object into the ground. Maybe the OP is pressing throw instead of attack?

Wow that became a complicated sentence.

RexNovis

Banned
http://store.steampowered.com/app/337480/

This is on STEAM. I've never heard or seen this before. Thanks for the thread on this game. Looks like a blast and going to pick it up tonight.

It's so much fun! Been a thrill to play through thus far. You won't regret picking it up at all. Really hope this game does well for them.

Hi!

Fantastic job with the game guys! Really cool of you to comment and open yourselves up to the community like this.

I know I mentioned it on Twitter already and you said there were no plans to patch it in but I really do think online matchmaking would be a great addition to the game. Is there any chance at all of this happening in the future or had the ship sailed in that?

There is no real rhythm involved outside of pressing the attack button at the peak of a jump. I'm curious if there is some confusion of what button to use, (going to use Playstation buttons here) pressing the throw button (circle) whilst holding an object and being airborne makes the player throw the object(in an arc or straight ahead depending on if you charge it or not), but pressing attack (square) whilst holding an object and being airborne causes the player to "double jump" by smashing the object into the ground. Maybe the OP is pressing throw instead of attack?

Wow that became a complicated sentence.

Hah! For real? That's totally what was. I was pressing throw trying to get that double jump to happen. Wow I feel like an idiot now. How did I never think to try attack instead. Oh my gosh thank you!

suikodan

Thanks for the suggestion OP! I've added it to my Steam Wishlist. I've been looking for a good beat'em up after Castle Crashers.

ZoinkGames

Neo Member
I know I mentioned it on Twitter already and you said there were no plans to patch it in but I really do think online matchmaking would be a great addition to the game. Is there any chance at all of this happening in the future or had the ship sailed in that?

Unfortunately no. We don't have any plans at the moment to add that in a patch. Sorry! :)

Top Bottom