• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV needs to sell 10 million units to succeed in team's goal

Via Kotaku UK http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/03/31/final-fantasy-15-needs-to-sell-10-million-copies-to-succeed
At a press conference this morning, director Hajima Tabata answered that question: it needs to sell 10 million copies, worldwide, over entire the life-span of the game. For context, that's more than any Final Fantasy game has ever sold except Final Fantasy VII, almost twice as much as The Witcher 3 has sold so far, and twice as much as Metal Gear Solid V has sold to date.
For some added context: The best selling installment, FF VII, sold under 10 million until several re-releases/ports later
Update:
We’d like to make a comment on the news reports that state Hajime Tabata, Director of FINAL FANTASY XV, commented that FINAL FANTASY XV needed to sell 10 million copies to recoup the investment at the press conference held yesterday in LA.

We believe there was a communication problem during the conference. In fact, Tabata was referencing 10 million copies only as a high goal which the development team set to realize their ambition to make the ultimate FINAL FANTASY game. And the comment was never meant to be referred as a recoup line of the investment.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, they mentioned that as an approximate goal about three years back in a financial report. I see that wasn't just corporate puffery.

On the one hand, this is the sort of product that looks like it should be a 10 million copy game based on production values and scope.

On the other hand, I get the feeling it's also going to have enough rough edges and cultural dissonances to end up at 4-6 million instead.

It looks like a game stuck between two worlds (or more specifically, two geographic regions), and also like a first attempt at making an open world action RPG in an effort to be in tune with the market.

I'm expecting a Metacritic average in the 77-83 range, with a lot of people making positive statements about the direction of the series, but having a laundry list of complaints and flaws.

I'm curious to see how Square Enix ends up changing their game development going forward if this ends up hitting around half its target.

MrV4ltor

youre_serious_futurama.gif

After playing both demos the game doesn't even seem to be that great.
I imagine it'll still sell well like XIII, but that's a big milestone

Lunar15

After the insanity that was last night's display of early 2000's level marketing decadence, I completely believe them.

The majority of JRPG's don't really pull those kind of numbers anymore. If one can do it in 2016, FF would be the only one. I don't see it, though.

How many FF's have even done this? Maybe like 7 and 10? High expectations doesn't begin to describe how much SE have riding on this.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
It'll happen.

They need to add a Lightning cameo and use her in trailers since she's the most popular character in the series in a Japanese poll I saw on the internet. That'll spike up sales.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Yeah, honestly i think half of that is waaaaay more likely.

I think 7 million is already unlucky since this is what XIII sold.

Finaj

Square Enix continually sets unrealistic expectations for themselves. I think they needed the Tomb Raider reboot to sell 5-6 million for it to be successful.

Zophar

I think it's going to have more broad appeal than people are giving it credit. It's evident they want this to be their next FF7.

Mesoian

It will DEFINITELY hit that.

Hell, if the game is actually good, it could hit that in it's first 90 days.

Sanity edit: No it won't.

But yeah, they'll hit 10 mill effortlessly. This game is likely going to be on 4 platforms (PS4/Xbone/PC/PS4K). As long as it's not a steaming pile, I could certainly see it making 10mill sold.

That being said, I really hope someone reels in Square for the next round of whatever they're doing. We didn't need an anime, we didn't need a movie with hollywood voice acting, this is the shit that nearly bankrupt you last time.

Euron

It's a batshit insane goal but I can see the game achieving it over its lifetime. Final Fantasy is a historic series and this may be the best installment in over ten years. Plus they're really going to town with the marketing.

Begaria

This is Tomb Raider 2013 expectations all over again. Guess they'll nail it with that PS4k and Xbox 1.5 remaster alongside the inevitable PC version.

Top Bottom