• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPR: online dating chances strongly affected by profile pic pose

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

To continue reading, please say "profile pic pose" ten times fast.

One of the guys in the study displays an expansive body posture (left) that led to a better dating response than the contracted posture, a real downer.

body-posture.jpg

In these experiments, the researchers compared young adults' closed, slouched postures against open, or expanded, ones.

"An expansive, open posture involves widespread limbs, a stretched torso and general enlargement of occupied space," says Tanya Vacharkulksemsuk, a social psychologist at the University of California, Berkeley and lead author on the study published Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

For the 144 speed daters, Vacharkulksemsuk says, "expansiveness nearly doubles chances of getting a yes [to see each other again.]"

The participants swiped yes on every potential suitor — 3,000 in total — for 48 hours. "Profiles that feature expansive photos were 27 percent more likely to get a yes," Vacharkulksemsuk says. Expanding made both men and women more desirable during speed dating and in the dating app. The effect was more pronounced for men, however

Over-expanding can backfire. Think manspreading, for example, when the guy next to you on the bus or subway pushes a leg into your space to give himself a little more air. A display like that may go over as poorly on Tinder as it does on public transportation, where it is most, um, widespread.

But, in general, expansive postures are more attractive, Tracy says. "We know these displays communicate high status and rank. And it is adaptive from a purely financial perspective to mate or marry or whatever a woman who does have high rank, right?"

Often, you can see also somebody's alma mater and job title. But Joel Wade, a social psychologist at Bucknell University who wasn't involved with the work, says these nonverbal signals might trump other info. "I should say we are ingrained, wired, biologically predisposed to notice these behaviors," he says "The proverbial behavior doesn't lie. Maybe [we think] the picture shows more credibility."

With the scant information available to people making online dating decisions, Vacharkulksemsuk thinks those deep biological predispositions become very influential. "The most exciting, coolest [part of] these results are capturing something very special about what dating looks like in the current day," she says. "This is just that initial first step. How do I even get that first date?"

More here:

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...atch-someone-on-tinder-stretch-your-arms-wide

Those who use Tinder or do online or speed dating: is this true to your own experiences? And, is it something you'd try in order to get more swipes right?

Galang

Banned
There's truth to this, but the pictures in the OP are a bit extreme. I actually prefer the one to the right for being less intense. A bad or insecure posture will definitely kill your chances on a date or interview and it also applies to pictures as well.

Into

This is the dumbest concept ever.

I have big balls, women and lesser men need to recognize.

Agree

Men with large testicles are oppressed, the amount of problematic, toxic and hurtful micro aggressions being hurled their way is hugely problematic, anyone who does it is essentially Hitler and Stalin on steroids.

As for the pics, the right pic is fine until we get to his legs, crossing them that way comes across poorly. He is showing his guns which is good but his legs are not the way any man i know stands.

My dating profile was a black and white headshot of me looking down at something and I did not have any trouble finding a date. I would not do that dumb spreading out shit if I was single.

XenodudeX

Main reason why I don't bother. If you're not a photogenic person , theres no way to make that shit work. Online dating makes people too fucking shallow.

Catdaddy

Post a pic peaking out from behind a tree - it says whoa he's mysterious....

I can totally see posture, my wife complains about peoples posture all the time.

Spending all day looking at Cad or Solid Works will do that to you.

Sitting down to work deactivates muscles needed to make you stand straight, and tightens other ones that will make your posture get locked to bad.

If you have a sit down job you essentially have to go out of your way to keep those muscles activated, or get a standing desk.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/2sa62s/my_posture_correction_routine/

I am also in a similar field. But I guess like you said I go out of my way to work those muscles. I think a huge part for me is that I played saxophone for nearly a decade so I now naturally sit with really good posture while in chairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom