• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MACROSS (pronounced Delta) ~~ ~~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korigama

So... As someone who is into political mecha like Gundam, would I like Macross?

The only exposure I have to Macross are the SRW games. Which series should I start with?
Macross doesn't really lean heavily into space politics like Gundam, but it's still a factor to some extent. The original Super Dimension Fortress Macross series is a good place to start. Following that, I would say the Macross Plus four-part OAV (be sure to go with the English dub for Bryan Cranston in the lead), then the TV series for Macross Frontier.

SDF revolves around war between humans and the Zentraedi (along with subsequent attempts at diplomacy), a competition between two prototypes for a fighter development and acquisition program is at the center of Plus, and Frontier occasionally highlights some of the bureaucratic and logistical concerns associated with the eponymous Macross Frontier colony.

The only exposure I have to Macross are the SRW games. Which series should I start with?
What's your opinion on waifus and Jpop? The first series is still pretty damn good from a story stand point...animation is dated, but it's still good. Some people prefer DYRL over it, but not me, original series for life. After that I like Frontier the mostly because Sheryl Nome is an energetic but endearing force of nature and Frontier has an excellent soundtrack. After those two it's a bit of a sliding slope. I like Plus, but dear god the story is...it's OK, there's a twist you're probably not going to like though. Zero's...it's not shit...Macross 7 is pretty divisive. I Pretty much consider it the ZZ Gundam of Macross whereas it takes 20 eps for the plot to get going and Basara is probably the most irritating lead. I think Delta's problem is overall cast bloat and going too all in on what Macross 7 did, but with half the ep count and less narrative consistency. Would I recommend the franchise? Fuck yes...just don't go in expecting too much politics like Gundam. Macross for the most part is meant to be more fun.

muteki

Anyone else wasting too much time watching Basara rock out to idol songs in Uta Macross? How do you like Haruhi-Mylene?

Is she? Didn't she get a divorce? Or were they just kinda separated but not "officially".
They're separated, but I consider Mylene too young to put in the waifu category, same goes for Ranka. Miria is a proper milf and she knows it. I believe she even shamed her family by trying out for Ms. Macross wearing a two piece. Though I will admit to liking her personality in M7. She's like full expressive human in that show and doesn't have a hint of shame, it's hilarious.

Sivil says hi.
You know...I like Sivil, but I keep forgetting Ms Titty vampire exists. Maybe if she did more outside of orgasm every Basara sung or make Basara's clothes explode off with a kiss I'd remember her as a character better. She just doesn't come off as a fully realized character the way Miria does.

Reknoc

Different beasts. Hard to really say but it's one of my favourite franchises so I'd recommend it regardless.

I'd go with just watching them in release order, it's what I did. Despite being 35 years old there really isn't that much Macross, Only 4 full TV series, and a handful of OVAs and movies.

The biker gang leader.

For the crime of forgetting her I sentence you to a macross 7 rewatch.

Different beasts. Hard to really say but it's one of my favourite franchises so I'd recommend it regardless.

I'd go with just watching them in release order, it's what I did. Despite being 35 years old there really isn't that much Macross, Only 4 full TV series, and a handful of OVAs and movies.

The biker gang leader.

For the crime of forgetting her I sentence you to a macross 7 rewatch.
Oh that chick that thought she wanted to pilot a valkyrie and wanted the Basara D. I watched Macross in the weirdest damn order. I need to watch pure Macross and not Robotech and I watched Frontier and Delta before I watched 7...I actually think I watched 7 while I was watching Delta I'm not sure.

Reknoc

True, some I just completely ignore.

Thankfully they have stopped the train of "so-and-so in a swimsuit" events they had going for a while.

The banners are even worse, they swap out of them so much.

I only do the events for the badges but they seem to put them higher and higher. The episode unlocks usually aren't worth it, just a pilot with bad stats or something. (though I did really want Basara's VF just so I could have total Basara)

edit: Even though Basara already steals the pilots launch voice clip lol

yes and no. not political enough like gundam but the closest is the best of the recent series: Macross Frontier.
i'd start with the TV episodes.

the classic sdf macross maybe too dated for your tastes. although i think it's the best ever.

M Plus is short OVA that's good but more of a love for aviation.

yes and no. not political enough like gundam but the closest is the best of the recent series: Macross Frontier.
i'd start with the TV episodes.

the classic sdf macross maybe too dated for your tastes. although i think it's the best ever.

M Plus is short OVA that's good but more of a love for aviation.
Only the animation in SDF Macross is dated. If a person can watch the original Gundam they can watch the first Macross which is better animated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom