• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn, Tequila Works and Frozenbyte Sign up to Gamestop's Publishing Program

3049704-gt.jpg

So we know of 4 developers who are a part of this program so far.

Insomniac Games: Song of the Deep
Frozenbyte: Unannounced
Ready at Dawn: Unannounced
Tequila Works: Unannounced

OneUh8

If this means we will get to see RIME in all it's glory, I am good with this. Just don't be dicks Gamestop and only have the physical copy exclusive in your store.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This is interesting. They have the power to drive the sales of the games and I like the selection of the initial developers.

Oof, so it's struggling developers going to Gamestop with their cap in hand?

Hope all these guys do okay. If they find some success partnering with Gamestop then everyone benefits.

If this means we will get to see RIME in all it's glory, I am good with this. Just don't be dicks Gamestop and only have the physical copy exclusive in your store.

That's what they are doing for the physical release of Song of the Deep. It is very likely that the same will happen for anything else they publish.

Wollan

Store-brand/publishing will make these games (in theory) be very price competitive and function as additional pressure towards external publishers. We've seen this for years for normal groceries. I'm surprised Gamestop hasn't done this sooner.
Though: X is not Dark Souls 3 etc. It's easier when it's shampoo or milk.

Oneself

Personally, I think it's a great project. I'm curious to see what RAD will come up with. If the games are good, you don't have to go to EB or Gamestop to get them as they will be available through PSN/XBL etc.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What does that mean about international releases?

Are devs allowed to self publish digitally with this deal?

This whole diversification is happening in an attempt from Gamestop to not become irrelevant with the digital sales taking more and more of the market, so one would assume that the publishing deal covers also the digital market.

Alright GameStop. Do your thing. Really good idea.

I wonder how much they can afford to put in to this. Let's see if they stay hands off when a dev starts eating their money.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Took just one game for the RaD/Sony exclusive partnership to fuck up. Wish The Order was a bigger hit and hadn't reviewed so poorly. Maybe Sony would have bought them too and they wouldn't be looking to these programs to publish their games. I don't see them working on another super high quality AAA game again after that debacle.

Well this will crash and burn. As much as Game devs don't like to admit it, sometimes you need a bean counter to keep you on task and meeting deadlines.

Gametrust may be a real game changer. Maybe less exclusives in order to get a game published, and it may also get more indie style games to retail.

The question is, does/will Gametrust take on AAA games such a Bayonetta(idk how Gametrust works)? If so, you may not have issues such as Bayonetta 2 in the future.

ps3ud0

Took just one game for the RaD/Sony exclusive partnership to fuck up. Wish The Order was a bigger hit and hadn't reviewed so poorly. Maybe Sony would have bought them too and they wouldn't be looking to these programs to publish their games. I don't see them working on another super high quality AAA game again after that debacle.
I thought they were eager to go into transmedia so I dont see this partnership with Gamestop being that fruitful. Quite a risk tbh...

ps3ud0 8)

I sincerely hope Rime actually becomes a video game one of these days. I was so disappointed to hear it'd basically been a big scam all these years.

Zojirushi

I sincerely hope Rime actually becomes a video game one of these days. I was so disappointed to hear it'd basically been a big scam all these years.

Yeah whatever became of this story? Didn't they go like "Hell naw Rime's still totally happening, more info coming soon. Like, real soon guys, we're serious this time"?

Well, I would assume that sincr they are the ones spending the money to publish these games that it only makes sense to have the physical copies in their stores. I don't see a problem with that. Why should they cater to other stores tbh?

Zojirushi

Well, I would assume that sincr they are the ones spending the money to publish these games that it only makes sense to have the physical copies in their stores. I don't see a problem with that. Why should they cater to other stores tbh?

As the publisher they would still get a cut though.

I mean that's why every other publisher is selling their physical stuff everywhere isn't it?

Luckydog

What does this even mean? They are the publisher. Now it is not enough that they publish both physical and digital copies, but you as the customer need to dictate where they sell it?

Daft Punk

Banned
That's what they are doing for the physical release of Song of the Deep. It is very likely that the same will happen for anything else they publish.

This lol. Can't wait to see all the moaning and bitching from people who hate Gamestop who have to *gasp* actually go into a store to get a physical copy.

Arkeband

Banned
I guess I'll wait to bring out the pitchforks until GameStop starts meddling with games I actually care about.

I can't imagine this will benefit the consumer in any way unless the games wouldn't have been made otherwise.

UCBooties

Gametrust won't involve themselves in the creative process? Sounds like Tequila Works found the jackpot.

Yeah, I was just thinking that GS better have an Ironclad contract for Tequila Works after the way they got run out by Sony.

I wouldn't count on RIME though. Apparently the game never existed in a playable state and I doubt GS is going to give them enough money to get that back on its feet.

Buy three copies of Deadlight Definitive Edition and you get an exclusive trailer for Rime, coming to next gen consoles
in 2018
!

Top Bottom