• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Microsoft 'has been testing a variety of prototype Xbox devices'

chadskin

Sources familiar with Microsoft's Xbox plans have revealed to The Verge that the company has been testing a variety of prototype Xbox devices. Some of the prototypes have been tested with upgraded components you'd use to improve the performance of a PC gaming rig. It's not clear if and when Microsoft intends to launch an upgraded Xbox One, but Phil Spencer has already hinted the company will "come out with new hardware capability during a generation" that supports existing and future titles. A new wireless chip could be just a small part of the optional hardware upgrades to the Xbox One that Microsoft is planning.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/19/11457546/xbox-one-hardware-upgrade-rumors

nynt9

Didn't Phil Spencer say he doesn't like the idea of an Xbox 1.5?

then again he seems to say whatever people want to hear at the time

Flopfan

the rumors and the statements are in conflict.

strange that Phil is the one who started this whole "upgraded console" thing and then goes back and says he is not a fan of an Xbox 1.5. so what's the deal here?

RoKKeR

The industry is going to look dramatically different at the end of this (and next) year, isn't it?

As I've stated before, I'm not inherently opposed to any of this, but am certainly interested to see how it all shakes out.

RowdyReverb

I was hoping that this fall would be an easy decision with just Nintendo's new console releasing. Now with all 3 apparently gearing up to launch new hardware, it's becoming a trickier question which to buy

leeh

strange that Phil is the one who started this whole "upgraded console" thing and then goes back and says he is not a fan of an Xbox 1.5. so what's the deal here?
I'm guessing he just means if we do release a console now, it's not going to be a small bump or incremental, more so a console which is such a step-up that it can be seen as a new major version.

Aernout

Neo Member
didn't they recently say they have no interest in a .5 system mid gen?

Spencer stated that he didn't like the idea of an Xbox 1.5, but if they were to move forward, they would do so in big numbers. The change has to be substantial according to Spencer.

Spencer: I don’t know. Not a big fan of one and a half. I think about what happens in most spaces. If I’m going to move forward, I want to move forward in big numbers.

Spencer: There you go. But I don’t know anything about any of the rumors out there. I can understand other teams’ motivations, why they might want to go do that. But for us, our box is doing well. It performs. It’s reliable. The service is up. If we go forward with anything, I want to make it a substantial change.

Source: http://venturebeat.com/2016/04/03/m...il-spencer-on-openness-hololens-and-xbox-1-5/

It's more that the statements and the statements are in conflict.

Phil Spencer one day:

When you look at the console space, I believe we will see more hardware innovation in the console space than we've ever seen. You'll actually see us come out with new hardware capability during a generation allowing the same games to run backward and forward compatible because we have a Universal Windows Application running on top of the Universal Windows Platform that allows us to focus more and more on hardware innovation without invalidating the games that run on that platform."

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/1/11121666/xbox-one-hardware-upgrades-phil-spencer-microsoft

Phil Spencer another day:

I’m not a big fan of Xbox One and a half. If we’re going to move forward, I want to move forward in big numbers," Spencer said. "I don’t know anything about any of the rumors that are out there, but I can understand other teams’ motivations to do that. For us, our box is doing well. It performs, it’s reliable, the servers are doing well. If we’re going to go forward with anything, like I said, I want it to be a really substantial change for people – an upgrade."

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...e-and-a-half-says-xbox-boss-phil-spencer.aspx

Lucifon

The way this is phrased sounds like things are far off. Microsoft testing a variety of prototype devices does not sound like something which is decided on yet, or in the hands of devs, and certainly not something ready for launch this year.

It feels like Sony might catch Microsoft out here, again. Giving an even bigger power gap is not something they want.

Xbox Slim will have significant upgrades regardless

Id imagine they would downplay these upgrades though in order to look less like the Villian Sony is being turned into with 4.5/Neo

Corpekata

Banned
Why are people confused by Spencer's statement? It's even in the article of the OP. He clearly just didn't like the name 1.5 and was trying to suggest that whatever they make would be substantial enough to be worth more than the 1.5 nickname.

dancmc

Can't wait for E3; you have MS state that they are open to improving hardware only to somewhat walk that back; Sony has said nothing; but they clearly have very advanced plans in introducing a mid-cycle hardware upgrade.

leeh

It's more that the statements and the statements are in conflict.

Phil Spencer one day:

Phil Spencer another day:
I really don't see how they conflict each other. He's just basically saying if they do a new box, it won't be an incremental upgrade.

RowdyReverb

Why are people confused by Spencer's statement? It's even in the article of the OP. He clearly just didn't like the name 1.5 and was trying to suggest that whatever they make would be substantial enough to be worth more than the 1.5 nickname.
I agree. I'm not sure how else you could interpret that

gamz

I really don't see how they conflict each other. He's just basically saying if they do a new box, it won't be an incremental upgrade.

Yes, this. I think it's pretty obvious by his statement. Don't understand the confusion?

RoKKeR

Yeah, I'm not sure why people continue to say those two statements are a contradiction.

Whatever hardware they might launch could eventually go against his statements, sure, but right now I don't see the issue.

there's no contradiction. He said a .5 increase was pointless, it would need to be a meaningful increase.

singhr1

Also, based on this rumor it may not be a new box entirely but an add-on to existing Xbox Ones. Who knows, it's just in prototype stages, nothing may happen at all

Lots of people have misrepresent what he said, particularly a lot of websites; that's partly Phil's own fault, as while he's a pro at PR-speak, it can often by obfuscating as f*ck.

“I’m not a big fan of Xbox One and a half. If we’re going to move forward, I want to move forward in big numbers…

…For us, our box is doing well. It performs, it’s reliable, the servers are doing well. If we’re going to go forward with anything, like I said, I want it to be a really substantial change for people–an upgrade.”

That's the quote. It doesn't suggest they're not a fan of the idea of an improved console, just that they're disinterested in a minor/small iterative improvements.

Flopfan

so there will not be an upgraded console reveal from microsoft this E3 (apart from slim)? because if that's what Phil meant that will be the case here.

it will feel like microsoft is behind if both nintendo and sony reveal a new machine while they just announce a slim model.

Nothing is true, everything is permitted?

It will hopefully make for an exciting E3 (with software obviously being what matters, new consoles or not).

So it's going to be a new Xbox... But it won't be a successor the way the Xbox One was to the Xbox 360... And they'll all play the same games but the newer Xbox will play them better...

What's not incremental about that?

gamz

Lots of people have misrepresent what he said, particularly a lot of websites; that's partly Phil's own fault, as while he's a pro at PR-speak, it can often by obfuscating as f*ck.

That's the quote. It doesn't suggest they're not a fan of the idea of an improved console, just that they're disinterested in a minor/small iterative improvements.

It's not PR speak it's an interview.

MaulerX

Exactly. They're not talking about a slight CPU overclock here.

He literally confirmed they are having an super xbox one, he simply said it would be a very big upgrade instead of a half (.5) measure.

Yep.

Yes but that was only to disparage a competitor. It sucks when Sony does it, but it'll be totally awesome when MS does it.
Kinda like how Sony say it's not up to them to allow cross platform play with Xbox Live. It's posturing when Microsoft allows it but understandable when Sony don't.

My point is that each company doesn't give a shit what the other companies say or do. Doubly so for Nintendo who seem to forget there is a whole industry out there.

Let's not start chalking up pros and cons because they're all chasing our $ in the end and we owe no loyalty to a brand.

Ein Bear

My interpretation of Spencer's comments is that an Xbox One revision is coming, but that it's something he considers a fairly sizable leap over the original console rather than a '1.5' half step.

Which could mean they're keen to try and have a power advantage again, or it could be PR fluff and we wind up with a moderate increase.

E3 is going to be crazy. I'm generally resistant to the idea of upgraded consoles, but will wait and see how things shake out before I go all doom and gloom.

Flopfan

no conflict means there will be a new generation console because "upgraded console but not incremental improvements they will be substantial" sounds like a next generation console to me rather than just upgraded.

Xbox Two?

Top Bottom