• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty of Kinda Funny: source says "most developers are not happy with PS4.5"

Chobel

59e9f10b78c84422898c35304c2a70e4.png

https://twitter.com/notaxation/status/722487768291479554

Lock if old

georly

I would be if you suddenly told me I had to implement an additional 'neo' mode in my game due out this fall. Who is going to pay for that extra time testing it?

Well they'll have to get used to it. Ms is only doing the same.

I wonder if some smaller devs can't afford to 'get used to it' and will just keep their game on PC, instead.

I could see that being a pain with the rumored restrictions.

Doubtful there will be a way for them to make more money on the games either since there has to be parity between versions.

Nokterian

Off course not it is way way too early for this...i am not buying it i mean i have mine less than 2 years it is different than what i do with PC since those are loose components and build it in whenever i want and buy at a lower price. But this? That PS4.5 will be also 400 euro's and it isn't worth it to buy it.

CSX

I wonder if some smaller devs can't afford to 'get used to it' and will just keep their game on PC, instead.

Nah they'll just lock the settings on both versions to save cost. PS4 version will look and run exactly the same as ps4k

AdanVC

I can imagine. They have to do double work now. Optimize their game as much as they can so it can run properly on the og PS4 and now optimize as well so it can run and look even better on the PS4K. Sounds like hellish amounts of work now. : /

Jonboy

Maybe some devs here can chime in...

How is this any different than Ultra/High/Medium settings for PC games? Most 3rd party games come out on multiple systems with variable settings already anyway.

DOWN

Banned
It doesn't let them aim for a higher ceiling at all. It still has to be essentially a PS4 game. They don't gain new room for their vision from this model.

Syntsui

Just ignore it's existence? It's not like games developed exclusively for old PS4 will need any kind of patch to work properly, that would be suicidal of Sony.

totowhoa

Banned
Are they forced to make Neo versions of the game? I thought it was optional

It is. But, if you make a NEO version you're required to make another version for the standard PS4. Adds some complexity, and if the PS4.5's install base is big enough to warrant it, then most people will end up making 2 versions... Though it sounds like they'd rather just be targeting one.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm sure devs that are releasing stuff this fall will be annoyed. Hopefully after an initial period to get engines prepared for it things will be a lot smoother.

NateDrake

I can imagine. They have to do double work now. Optimize their game as much as they can so it can run properly on the og PS4 and now optimize as well so it can run and look even better on the PS4K. Sounds like hellish amounts of work now. : /

I imagine most would make for PS4 and then upscale to PS4k.

libregkd

Are they forced to make Neo versions of the game? I thought it was optional
It sounds like all games will need a 'Base' and 'Neo' mode for them. However there doesn't seem to be anything to indicate that the Neo mode actually has to be all that different/better from the base mode (at least from what I could tell). So you could theoretically have a game that is identical on both a PS4 and Neo PS4.

Gamezone

Gold Member
The entire point of owning consoles was to make it easy for us, but also the developers. Now I'm confused, and rather buy parts for my PC than a brand new console again.

Sylas

Maybe some devs here can chime in...

How is this any different than Ultra/High/Medium settings for PC games? Most 3rd party games come out on multiple systems with variable settings already anyway.

The only thing I can think of is there are going to be firm requirements in place for PS4/NEO whereas on PC those variables can be... well, variable. A ton of PC games come out with middling options and they can get away with it because there isn't really a standard.

Plus you're looking at extra cert time for 2 separate versions of the same game (and possibly double cert process for patches), where PC doesn't really go through certification. Devs are either gonna have to submit to Sony earlier, or Sony's gonna have to hire a shitload more people to keep the pace.

It struck me as being a dumb idea the moment I first heard about it, so I'm not surprised. Just seems like such a miguided maneuver for Sony to make considering how much they're excelling in the console market right now.

I'm sure devs that are releasing stuff this fall will be annoyed. Hopefully after an initial period to get engines prepared for it things will be a lot smoother.

Precisely. It'll be a headache at first, but things will be fine after the growing pains.

Still not sure if this whole thing is a great idea but I'm definitely excited to learn more at E3.

Most of them probably weren't too happy with PS2 either. In the end, they'll adapt.

There is some truth in this statement. The PS2 was supposedly a pain in the ass to develop for, especially early on, but everyone did it anyway. It's good to be the market leader. Things are a little bit different these days, though.

Elios83

LOL of course they're not, it's just extra work for them :p
They'll have to deal with it since they're already developing for multiple platforms and others like Microsoft will follow suit.

Footos22

I would be if you suddenly told me I had to implement an additional 'neo' mode in my game due out this fall. Who is going to pay for that extra time testing it?

I doubt smaller Devs will have to even do anything for the neo. Its prob mainly for first party stuff. I cant see third parties dropping everything for it.

Top Bottom