• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS to talk about gaming on XB1, W10 "and beyond" in the next "few weeks" & months

ekim

Special HW event coming?

Xbox chief Phil Spencer has dropped yet another hint that the platform holder may have plans to unveil another Xbox console soon,
revealing that the firm intends to talk more about its plans for Xbox One, Windows 10 "and beyond" in the "weeks and months" ahead.

In a note announcing the discontinuation of Xbox One's predecessor Xbox 360, Spencer thanked the Xbox community for bringing
"so much passion and creativity to the Xbox 360. You are the heart of what we do at TEAM XBOX, and you have been critical to the success of Xbox 360."

He continued:
"Over the next few weeks and months, we'll be sharing more of our plans for gaming on Xbox One, Windows 10 and beyond. And as always, keep the feedback coming. Thank you."

source: http://news.xbox.com
via: http://www.videogamer.com/news/microsoft_drops_another_hint_at_new_xbox_console.html

I noticed earlier last week that the domain www.xboxevent.com has been changed. It redirected to xbox.com for more than 2 years now after it was used for initial XboxOne reveal event. Now it's back on it's old IP at eventcore (who organized the reveal event)

Footos22

When they say weeks and months ahead they generally just mean all the normal conferences. The same thing gets said every year

singhr1

Why is there an article for each paragraph of everything Phil says? We all read his Xbox Wire post.

Useless speculation, really

Zedox

Weeks:
- Preview Program for Xbox One getting new features such as Background Music and Cortana
- Windows 10 getting it's update for UWP for gsync, vsync, freesync, etc...

Months:
- E3
- gamescom
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update which includes merging of XBO/W10 stores

"Beyond":
Xbox Live Services

Kezen

Banned
They have to react. They just have to.

The Xbox One is already left in the dust by the PS4, they can't let Sony widen the gap in perception even further with the arrival of the PS4K.

A console revision must be coming, the question is how high are they ready to go.

Alx

Sounds like a very generic comment to make in such a situation, in any other context I don't think it would be worth thinking twice.

gamz

Weeks:
- Preview Program for Xbox One getting new features such as Background Music and Cortana

Months:
- E3
- gamescom

"Beyond":
Xbox Live Services

This.

Redstone 1 comes and June merges stores. Redstone 2 is next year and refines it. So perhaps a Xbox slim and new powerful Xbox that's uses UWP's thus not tied to hardware?

They have to react. They just have to.

The Xbox One is already left in the dust by the PS4, they can't let Sony widen the gap in perception even further with the arrival of the PS4K.

A console revision must be coming, the question is how high are they ready to go.

A Hardware arms race is pointless. Sony already has their direction, Microsoft has theirs.

This is going to be further unification of W10 and XBOX. Forget a Xbox 1.5. We are looking at a surface branded Xbox.

A HTPC that is compatable with the Entire Xbox one Library and 360 emulation. Can also run steam and is compatable with OR. $399.

Kezen

Banned
A Hardware arms race is pointless. Sony already has their direction, Microsoft has theirs.
Not it is not because it greatly influences perception of your brand. I'm not arguing that Microsoft lost to Sony solely on specs, but it sure has contributed to it.

This is going to be further unification of W10 and XBOX. Forget a Xbox 1.5. We are looking at a surface branded Xbox.
A HTPC that is compatable with the Entire Xbox one Library and 360 emulation. Can also run steam and is compatable with OR. $399.
So a Steambox then. Well this would be coherent with their recent unification strategy but the ease of use would be less than a typical, traditionnal console.

gamz

No way. Separate products. They aren't going to allow steam on their cheap consoles. No freaking way.

GHG

Gold Member

Steady on. For them to come up with something like that would mean Microsoft actually have their heads screwed on correctly for once.

gamz

Not it is not because it greatly influences perception of your brand. I'm not arguing that Microsoft lost to Sony solely on specs, but it sure has contributed to it.

Apple? Android dominates hardware and OS in the mobile field, but devs always target Apple first because it's more lucrative store. Nobody perceives android is better because of sales.

ekim

untitledoljap.png

Xbox Breakout: Xbox Devices

https://www.mystartevent.com/agenda

(Internal MS event starting the new FY of Microsoft. Teams share their stuff and products)

I think it would be crazy for anyone other than Nintendo do announce and show new (iterative) hardware at E3.

These (new) consoles have to be shown before E3 to ensure they carry maximum impact.

Just my 2cents though.

gamz

I think it would be crazy for anyone other than Nintendo do announce and show new (iterative) hardware at E3.

These (new) consoles have to be shown before E3 to ensure they carry maximum impact.

Just my 2cents though.

I'm not sure about E3 if the other thread has it not released until 2017 first Q. That would kill their holiday sales, no?

Doffen

Weeks:

Months:
- E3
- gamescom

"Beyond":
Xbox Live Services

Cortana and background music is part of the Anniversary Update which Mike Ybarra said this about:

Win10 Anniversary Update announced at //build will have key gaming features, so next Xbox system update goes to preview end May/early June.

Elandyll

Banned
Phil Spencer

"As the head of Xbox at Microsoft, in the weeks and months to come -which include E3 in about 8 weeks-, I WILL be talking about Xbox One and Windows 10!"

maxresdefault.jpg

Wow, huge departure from what you've been doing in the past Phil.
Pretty wild I gotta say.

But yeah, over analyzing things without need imo, although I'm sure he will do just that.

Synth

Steady on. For them to come up with something like that would mean Microsoft actually have their heads screwed on correctly for once.

Moving Steam into the living for Valve is quite possibly the single dumbest move MS could make in regards to gaming. Not even Sega would have been able to compete with a decision like that.

That would be my guess as well.

Somehow I can't see Microsoft upping their hardware in the same way Sony is doing, in fact I think Microsoft will slowly turn the Xbox brand from being console-based into a htpc with games (with Live and apps) akin to what Apple does with the Apple TV.

Just my 2 cents.

gamz

We need some real leaks. Friggin boring to follow Xbox these days :(

How'd you deal with past gens. You must've been bored outta your mind. Easily the most intersting time for consoles. Like ever. I'd rather have surprises then leaks. Enjoy the ride breh.

Kezen

Banned
Apple? Android dominates hardware and OS in the mobile field, but devs always target Apple first because it's more lucrative store. Nobody perceives android is better because of sales.

But Sony is seen lucrative to release software for as well. That does not change anything and I'm not convinced by your Apple-Android analogy.

Fact is the Xbox One is trailing behind the PS4 on pretty much every grounds, do you think this is a situation Microsoft are happy with ?

They will have to follow the market leader, Sony.

gamz

That would be my guess as well.

Somehow I can't see Microsoft upping their hardware in the same way Sony is doing, in fact I think Microsoft will slowly turn the Xbox brand from being console-based into a htpc with games (with Live and apps) akin to what Apple does with the Apple TV.

Just my 2 cents.

I see them upping theit hardware much more because they can in ways Sony cant.

Top Bottom