• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst Closed Beta Thread | Didn't Get An Email? Keep Faith

Eggbok

me1ruk7q.png

me2pjkqd.png

me3v2kqv.png

me44qkqs.png

PC SPECS
MINIMUM:
CPU: Intel i3-3250 / AMD FX-6350. (Note: Mirror's Edge Catalyst requires at least 4 logical cores to run.)
RAM: 6 GB
HARD DRIVE: At least 25 GB of free space
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 650 Ti 2GB or better / AMD Radeon™ R9 270x or better
INPUT: Keyboard and mouse, dual analog controller

RECOMMENDED:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 at 3.4 GHz / AMD FX-8350 at 4.0 GHz
RAM: 16 GB
HARD DRIVE: At least 25 GB of free space
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 970 4GB or better / AMD Radeon™ R9 280x 3GB or better
INPUT: Keyboard and mouse, dual analog controller

MINI FAQ:
WHAT'S NEW?
GADGETS
  • MAG Rope - Latches on to specific cameras in the world, using the Conglomerate’s own surveillance equipment against them to gain new and unique traversal opportunities.
  • Disruptor – Leveraging the MAG Rope’s power source and a military grade decryption mod, Faith's glove can disrupt KrugerSec systems, eventually even destroying their AI.
SOCIAL PLAY
  • Connect with your Runner friends. Challenge them to your own Time Trials or place a Beat L.E. within Glass for them to find. The Social Play of Mirror’s Edge Catalyst will appeal to both novice and pro Runners.
PROGRESSION
  • Skill Tree - Unlike the original game, Mirror's Edge: Catalyst features an all new skill tree that is split into 3 categories: Movement, Combat and Gear. Players will earn XP for completing missions and finding Gridleaks.
FOCUS
  • Focus is gained from free running, and once Faith has Focus enemies cannot hit her. Focus is lost from low speed and being attacked, so it is essential to maintain a balance of out-traversing opponents and engaging them directly.
FOV SLIDER
  • Unlike the original, Mirror's Edge: Catalyst features an FOV slider in all versions of the game.

QUESTIONS
Is Mirror's Edge: Catalyst a prequel, reboot, or sequel?
Mirror's Edge: Catalyst is a reboot, it is a retelling of Faith's origin story

Can Faith use weapons?
Faith doesn't need a weapon; she uses her environment, momentum, and physicality to overcome any challenge.

Is it to late to register for the beta?
Yes, registration for the beta ended a few months back.

How long will the beta last?
The closed beta begins on April 22nd and last for five days, ending on April 26th.

How big are the downloads?
PC - 13GB, PS4 - 9.2GB, XB1 - 8.7GB

Can this beta be played offline?
Yes, however you must be connected online to start the beta and you won't have access to the social features.

FEEDBACK

Considering this is a beta thread, if you've got issues that you want to report, here are the official forums where the devs are reading and checking for specific instances like where exactly your framerate drops, etc:

https://forums.mirrorsedge.com/categories/closed-beta-feedback

jett

D-Member
This is the worst performance I've ever gotten on a game since I got a 280X. This is unpurchasable for me.

LfmXWyE.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This is the worst performance I've ever gotten on a game since I got a 280X. This is unpurchasable for me.

Gee, a beta that isn't optimized. Shocking.

Adry9

Nope, Dice just gave streamers/developers a lot of codes to giveaway on social media. Emails still will go out tomorrow.

Still have a chance then, nice :)

Oh my... what kind of settings do you need to reach 60?

EDIT: Ok that's from last month, never mind.

Tawpgun

I'm really liking it.

I think locking key movement abilities (the landing roll, quick turn, and crouch jump is silly. They should all unlock within the first half hour-hour. Game needs to push you to unlock them. It was so much more fluid when I unlocked the roll.

It feels... easier? Not sure, haven't played the old one in years.

Loving the open world. I was really worried about it but they did good.

jett

D-Member
Still have a chance then, nice :)

Oh my... what kind of settings do you need to reach 60?

EDIT: Ok that's from last month, never mind.

I can't even reach 60 when looking straight at a wall. This beta is really quite messy. I hope they get their shit together for the final release, but 60fps seems like a pipe dream, why I don't really understand. "Beta" or not, this game doesn't look anywhere near as good as Battlefront and runs at less than half the framerate on my machine.

After what I've seen I don't even want it anymore. It looks pretty bad an shits all over the clean and minimalistic original. I guess it is expected though. Every game these days needs progression, unlocks and handholding.

Big fan of the original, bought and played it on two platforms. Registered for the beta on day one. Hoping to get a key tomorrow.

I can no longer remember what platform I picked and it seems there's no UI to even review this, let alone change it, but I think it was PC.

Based on early reports it's probably going to murder my 760 4GB.

DOWN

Banned

LfmXWyE.jpg
This is a closed beta nearly 2 months from release so you are real confused if you think they want you to purchase exactly what you are testing today

Tabasco

Nope, Dice just gave streamers/developers a lot of codes to giveaway on social media. Emails still will go out tomorrow.
Someone else mentioned that today's codes were only limited to those that signed up for the EA newsletter (frontrunner).

Whatever the case is, it would be nice if there was a sure chance of getting access.

Nowise10

I'm really liking it.

I think locking key movement abilities (the landing roll, quick turn, and crouch jump is silly. They should all unlock within the first half hour-hour. Game needs to push you to unlock them. It was so much more fluid when I unlocked the roll.

It feels... easier? Not sure, haven't played the old one in years.

Loving the open world. I was really worried about it but they did good.

Yeah the unlocking of movements feels weird. Like you already have 12 of them unlocked from the get-go. I don't understand why even locking the last 8 or so movements is even needed.

Combat and the gear stuff makes sense to me. Movement does not.

DOWN

Banned
Someone else mentioned that today's codes were only limited to those that signed up for the EA newsletter (frontrunner).

Whatever the case is, I would be nice if there was a sure chance of getting access.
The bulk of today's codes are from social media and press giveaways, not from normal sign ups

Not a fan of all this beta code begging on Twitter today while people have to wait for email tomorrow to even know they got in.

Anyway, y'all GAFers who get it, upload footage of actually being good at this game. Because GAFers are the best.

MaKTaiL

I've signed up for this ever since the site opened up. So I better get access to the beta or heads will roll.

GavinUK86

Just uploading my PC footage with onscreen performance numbers to Youtube. I can upload it to Gamersyde too if people want clearer footage. Doesn't run great on an i7 2600k, 8GB RAM and a GTX 970 on Ultra at 1080p. Getting anywhere from 30 - 70.

runs OK at Ultra 1080p on a 290X (4690K &16GB RAM)...not going to say it's perfect because it's not...it keeps a high FPS the majority of the time but when it hitches or drops frames it's noticeable

I know it's a Beta and also there's no new drivers or patches out so performance won't be optimal...I suck keeping a good momentum going and getting good times as far as gameplay goes

Beta is downloading, I am so, so freaking excired guys!

How long does it take to "beat" the beta? How long a play session do I need to plan for tonight?

Edit: Oh, can the beta be played offline? If yes, has anyone by chance found the cheatengine code for gaining XP? I want to play without that crap and am not looking forward to having to find the offset.

oti

Banned
After playing this for a bit I am very OK with it being delayed. I'm sure the beta isn't the latest version of the game of course.

Just uploading my PC footage with onscreen performance numbers to Youtube. I can upload it to Gamersyde too if people want clearer footage. Doesn't run great on an i7 2600k, 8GB RAM and a GTX 970 on Ultra at 1080p. Getting anywhere from 30 - 70.

exact same setup I have now with everything oced so I'd like to see.

I just got a code off Twitter, downloading now! I can't believe I got that lucky, haha. If I get a code tomorrow I'll definitely post it for someone to take on here! :)

Really enjoying it so far. The quick turn and roll are like... essential though so I still don't get why they're locked. But yeah, once you get going, feels really good. And I honestly believe that going open world was a fantastic decision for this franchise. It's so much fun just to run around and try to get to different places taking different routes... really good.

GeeDuhb

Are any major outlets giving codes away? I would really like to check this out but couldn't really find anything on Twitter...

GavinUK86

Really enjoying it so far. The quick turn and roll are like... essential though so I still don't get why they're locked. But yeah, once you get going, feels really good. And I honestly believe that going open world was a fantastic decision for this franchise. It's so much fun just to run around and try to get to different places taking different routes... really good.

Yeah it's definitely fun and open world does suit it more than the linear original. It's strange that quick turn and roll are locked. First things I bought when I could.

Voice acting isn't great. Faith sounds bored most of the time. Morgan "Birdman" Freeman sounded the best so far.

Performance isn't ideal but I'm putting that down to being a beta. Hopefully they can nail that for release, the delay might help.

Part 2 of my PC footage is up

TripOpt55

Really hoping I get into this. The original is one of my all-time favorites. A lot of changes here I am unsure of, but I am happy we are getting a sequel and want to see how it all works.

jdstorm

Banned
Yeah it's definitely fun and open world does suit it more than the linear original. It's strange that quick turn and roll are locked. First things I bought when I could.

Voice acting isn't great. Faith sounds bored most of the time. Morgan "Birdman" Freeman sounded the best so far.

Performance isn't ideal but I'm putting that down to being a beta. Hopefully they can nail that for release, the delay might help.

Part 2 of my PC footage is up

Stop complaining about performance when you don't have enough ram to run it on ultra (Another poster said it hit 11GB of Usage at comparable specs)

neoism

listening to ROPEBURN right now.... 😎😵😵😎 man i cant wait for this...

Top Bottom