• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can anyone explain why Kindle Fire HD can get Fire OS 5 but HDX can't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

//ARCANUM

So my wife and I both own kindle fires. She has a Fire HD 7 and I have a Fire HDX 7. The difference is that the HDX is more powerful. Both are from the same generation. She got the update on her HD to update to Fire OS 5. My HDX is not able to update to Fire OS 5 even though it's the same gen and more powerful. I've looked it up online and it appears that Amazon has just decided to abandon a 1 generation old product. This is ridiculous. This would be like Apple not letting the iPhone 6 update to iOS 9, but letting the iPhone 5s update to iOS 9. Makes no sense at all. Does anyone have any insight into why they've chosen this? Or anyone know of a way I can force the newer OS onto my device? Thanks!

From a cursory google search, it would seem '7' refers to the screen size, not the gen number. Not sure, though. I haven't used many kindles.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/kindle-fire-hdx

Go there and start reading. It seems it's possible to install Cyanogenmod 11, which is full-fledged Android 4.4, but it's possible you've updated out of the window of opportunity. Again, not familiar with the particulars of the product.

It's a sad state of affairs, I'm in the same boat. What made the situation worse is that not so long ago Amazon actually sent a message to my HDX advising the fire OS 5 update will come to my tablet, only to send an email stating it was an error, maybe an apology was in there too. Looking on XDA at the time, I wasn't the only one who received the message. Idiots.

As for why it isn't coming? It's not planned obsolescence, as Amazon makes little to no money on hardware and is all about getting you into there ecosystem. It's silly really, as the hw is more then capable.

I reckon it's due to the failure of the Fire phone, I read a lot of people were let go, engineers, software devs etc, due to the failure of the fire phone. Which coincidentally, is also powered by the snapdragon 800, like the HDX.

You what makes it worse? The generation of tablets that came after the HDX received the update. It's a little infuriating.

It's still a pretty good tablet for media consumption, web browsing, shopping, the kids mode and NOT much else, so the OS version is bearable for now.

Regarding the possibility of forcing the update on the HDX, a quick glance through XDA doesn't bring up much.

There is a thead about the update, and a post about a customer service rep stating the Fire OS 5 will come to the HDX, but other posters have pointed out that it's a rep confirming this, not a dev:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/kindle-fire-hdx/help/fire-os-5-support-3rd-gen-kindles-t3204316/page19

//ARCANUM

It's a sad state of affairs, I'm in the same boat. What made the situation worse is that not so long ago Amazon actually sent a message to my HDX advising the fire OS 5 update will come to my tablet, only to send an email stating it was an error, maybe an apology was in there too. Looking on XDA at the time, I wasn't the only one who received the message. Idiots.

As for why it isn't coming? It's not planned obsolescence, as Amazon makes little to no money on hardware and is all about getting you into there ecosystem. It's silly really, as the hw is more then capable.

I reckon it's due to the failure of the Fire phone, I read a lot of people were let go, engineers, software devs etc, due to the failure of the fire phone. Which coincidentally, is also powered by the snapdragon 800, like the HDX.

You what makes it worse? The generation of tablets that came after the HDX received the update. It's a little infuriating.

It's still a pretty good tablet for media consumption, web browsing, shopping, the kids mode and NOT much else, so the OS version is bearable for now.

Regarding the possibility of forcing the update on the HDX, a quick glance through XDA doesn't bring up much.

There is a thead about the update, and a post about a customer service rep stating the Fire OS 5 will come to the HDX, but other posters have pointed out that it's a rep confirming this, not a dev:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/kindle-fire-hdx/help/fire-os-5-support-3rd-gen-kindles-t3204316/page19

Yeah it's really lame. :/ I know Fire OS 4 is fine, but it's just stupid that less capable devices have the newer OS.

Doesn't even the $50 fire tablet have 5.0? I think mine does...... Would have to find it

Yep. And the HDX is way more powerful lol. That's what makes it so stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom