• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, question to the tech savvy guys, if the latest rumors(?) are true, what does it mean for NX in comparison to PS4K? Are they going to use a more modern chipset, compared to PS4K using a more advanced edition of the PS4 chipset? (If i understood that correctly.)

Asd202

I literally am parsing this from a group text. My buddy works IT for a chip plant in Upstate NY. He claims (and I have zero reason to not believe him) that there is concurrent production happening for NX and a MS thing, I have no specs or details other than there was mix up between which slides were for which and the ones made for NX were intended for an "xbox one upgrade"

lol

KingBroly

Banned
I literally am parsing this from a group text. My buddy works IT for a chip plant in Upstate NY. He claims (and I have zero reason to not believe him) that there is concurrent production happening for NX and a MS thing, I have no specs or details other than there was mix up between which slides were for which and the ones made for NX were intended for an "xbox one upgrade"

That'd be disastrous for AMD if it was true.

Rubixcuba

Banned
So who had the more powerful chips? Slightly confused.

How sad. Like depressingly sad.

Wii U released at the end of 2012
Zelda U announced at E3 in 2013
Doesn't come out until next Nintendo console in 2017

Really good way to keep your fanbase! Nintendo is just blowing it right now. I have more faith in MS PR right now than anything that comes from Nintendo.

Nintendo's message to Wii U owners that purchased a Wii U largely because of the Zelda franchise: "Eat a dick and oops sorry."

Almost everything developped or even published by Nintendo this gen was either released later than expected, or outright unfinished.
They did admit to taking much longer than expected to develop HD games though.

Malus

It's potentially a major fuck up that has impacted major fiscal, retail, and development plans as well as cost Nintendo a holiday season.

This isn't Rambo mode. This would be litigous rage.

And I doubt anyone is laughing. If true, I wonder what sort of wringing and deals Nintendo could potentially gain from this.

What the fuck lol.

Just reading random gaf threads in the middle of the night, suddenly hot rumors of litigation and major development screwups.

Eh, it's probably nothing. Maybe.

takriel

Almost everything developped or even published by Nintendo this gen was either released later than expected, or outright unfinished.
They did admit to taking much longer than expected to develop HD games though.
Thing is, they had 6+ years to familiarize themselves with HD development, and they didn't. That's the sad thing about it.

Roo

Well, this is taking an interesting twist.
Like, holy shit if AMD's fuck up is literally the reason why Nintendo had to push NX's launch until next year forcing them to miss a holiday season.

Pif

Banned
Spec and gimmick rumours went extinct to give birth to litigation rumours and major enterprise fuck ups.

Thank god we can always know what's going on.

Markoman

So I've been watching some Vive and Rift game demos lately on Youtube.
They put a smile on my face - I'm not shitting my pants from excitement, but I can see the future potential. I will get VR at some point, but I'm waiting for more fleshed out games...

The thing is though, from what I've seen , this is supposed to be Nintendo's playground! if you know what I mean...VR has the potential more than anything else on the market to get those former Wii customers back into gaming once prices go down substantially (even if it takes 10 more years)

All of the available VR games give you this easy to pick up and creative vibe and Nintendo has dropped the ball big time by not being able to be on the forefront of this movement.

In a worst case scenario VR will be the next Wii from the hardcore gamer perspective,
but this worst case scenario will also be Nintendo's biggest nightmare, because their chances to land another lucky punch a la Wii are slimmer than ever.

This just shows how Nintendo lags behind in nearly every way - with the exception of some games.

Well, this is taking an interesting twist.
Like, holy shit if AMD's fuck up is literally the reason why Nintendo had to push NX's launch until next year forcing them to miss a holiday season.

That doesn't seem particularly likely. Even if Nintendo started production tomorrow, they should be set just fine for a Holiday 2016 release. It's not like they needed to have 2,000,000 units ready by the end of the month to show up to E3 with demo units.

OMG, hahaha

KingBroly

Banned
What a twist if true. New thread? The world needs to know this!

I don't think so. It's hearsay at this point and nothing more. If people go creating threads for everything we've heard in regards to rumors, I'd post the rumor that Twilight Princess was coming to PS2 that some kid's mom asked in a Gamestop in 2007.

I refuse to believe that's true, the level of fuckery required for that kind of issue is just way too high. Insane if it is.

I'd imagine if the production of final devkit hardware has been majorly delayed, and Nintendo wants good ties with 3rd party this gen off the gate, that would go some way to justifying a delay. But there's just no way.

Averon

That would be such an outrageous fuck up that's so simple to avoid I literally can't convince myself that that rumor have any truth to it.

AniHawk

I don't think so. It's hearsay at this point and nothing more. If people go creating threads for everything we've heard in regards to rumors, I'd post the rumor that Twilight Princess was coming to PS2 that some kid's mom asked in a Gamestop in 2007.

seriously? nintendo was entertaining that idea?

What, the quality management of AMD's production department is atrocious if true. We need more information. See if you can find out more.

Markoman

If true, holy hit! So MS (and Sony) are destroying NX already in the manufacturing process.
This is new... Poor Nintendo

Is there even a superlative to "dead on arrival"?

Pokemaniac

That doesn't seem particularly likely. Even if Nintendo started production tomorrow, they should be set just fine for a Holiday 2016 release. It's not like they needed to have 2,000,000 units ready by the end of the month to show up to E3 with demo units.

At this point, production would most likely be focused on devkits, not the final device, and devkits are very important for having a decent software library, which happens to be exactly the reason Nintendo cited for the delay.

ECC

For what is is worth: upstate New York coincides with Global Foundries fab 8 or fab 10.

AFAIK. AMD has long term contracts with Global Foundries, and the two fabs produce down to 14/22 nm respectively.

Of course this means nothing, it verifies nothing, it proves nothing. It does make it possible though.

boyshine

The biggest issue right now IMO is that Nintendo is using the term "brand-new concept" completely without context. People expecting to find out about NX this E3 is now completely clueless as to when more info will become available. What does brand new mean? Is it targeted towards core gamers at all? Is it so different that 3rd party ports will be unlikely (again)? I'd wait for it if it was confirmed to be a more powerful console with full 3rd party support, but if this is an attempt to find that non-gamer pot of gold again, I'd rather spend my money elsewhere. They don't need to reveal any secrets, just explain the basic concept in terms of target audience and expected software support.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Thing is, they had 6+ years to familiarize themselves with HD development, and they didn't. That's the sad thing about it.

That's the Japanese industry in a nutshell. So many of the biggest publishers pretty much wasted the last generation and are either dead (Capcom and Konami) or still working on games they announced in 2006 (Square-Enix). Nintendo is one of many who were too stubborn to adapt to what was happening in the West.

We can all laugh about the time Zelda is taking but at least we had a console Zelda 5 years ago. Something like Kingdom Hearts has gone 11 years and counting between main console entries.

At this point, production would most likely be focused on devkits, not the final device, and devkits are very important for having a decent software library, which happens to be exactly the reason Nintendo cited for the delay.

If they don't have devkits out to studios six months ago then they aren't going to be getting AAA titles for March 2017, regardless of whether they produce them tomorrow or not.

Even Nintendo, with their particular talent for underestimating development times, isn't going to expect people to throw together a game in a year unless the "NX" is literally just a Windows desktop with "Nintendo" scribbled on the side.

Pokemaniac

If they don't have devkits out to studios six months ago then they aren't going to be getting AAA titles for March 2017, regardless of whether they produce them tomorrow or not.

Even Nintendo, with their particular talent for underestimating development times, isn't going to expect people to throw together a game in a year unless the "NX" is literally just a Windows desktop with "Nintendo" scribbled on the side.

I'm sure they don't expects studios to throw together games in a year.

Ports, on the other hand, seem realistic.

Also, according to rumors, key studios have had kits for a while, and general availability was supposed to begin soon-ish (I forget if they specified an exact timeframe, but I'm pretty sure the implication was "soon").

Markoman

VR is the reverse of Nintendo's playground since it isolates you. They're not behind on this, waiting is actually the better option.

Dude or Dudette, is that all that you can come up with, really? Seriously? You are buying that Nintedo PR bs and to make matters worse using it as an argument? How is not implementing voice-chat in one of their biggest IPs this gen (communication=social interaction) working with that argument? Or is your imagination just limited to a 5 year foresight?

Let me help you. Once VR headsets hit the lower accessoire price range (50-150$)
VR has the potential to be THE social thing in gaming. I'm not saying that this will be the case in 10 years from now, but anything can happen....

"...Go on an adventurous journey with your friends and family..."

You're basically assuming that in 15 years everyone will still just own one VR headset and that the power of whatever we're gaming on in the future won't support VR co-op.
Online MMO with VR?

Sorry, no offense, but the PR bs parotting needs to stop.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Sorry, but that rumour seems way too absurd. In the remote case it's real, I hope the negative impact isn't even deeper than the delay, especially for third parties' developmet (who I think started working with SDKs anyway, if that helps) and that AMD gives an insane discount to Nintendo then, due to the error.

And this is how I start entertaining the idea of NX at 199.99

KingBroly

Banned
Dude or Dudette, is that all that you can come up with, really? Seriously? You are buying that Nintedo PR bs and to make matters worse using it as an argument? How is not implementing voice-chat in one of their biggest IPs this gen (communication=social interaction) working with that argument? Or is your imagination just limited to a 5 year foresight?

Let me help you. Once VR headsets hit the lower accessoire price range (50-150$)
VR has the potential to be THE social thing in gaming. I'm not saying that this will be the case in 10 years from now, but anything can happen....

You're basically assuming that in 15 years everyone will still just own one VR headset and that the power of whatever we're gaming on in the future won't support VR co-op.
Online MMO with VR?

Nintendo is into local multiplayer, not online, not VR, not AR. They will go kicking and screaming into whatever doesn't fit with that. During the GameCube era, Iwata literally said that online gaming was a fad.

You know what'd have been great with online multiplayer/leaderboards? Nintendoland. But they didn't care about it, and to a certain extent, still don't. Their big Party games, Mario Party, Wii Party U and Amiibo Festival do.not.have online multiplayer despite fans saying 'yeah, we want an online Mario Party.'

The best way to play Smash is with some friends on a couch. Nintendo will do everything within their power to make sure it stays that way, even though they don't like it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That rumour is crazy. It would be an even bigger fuckup than it is already.

Edit: about VR, everything that Nintendo did in terms of asynchronous MP on Wii U can be done very well in VR. There's no real isolation unless you want to. Source: I have a Vive.

roytheone

That amd rumor is too insane to be believable. If it is true that would mean we can switch the conversation from "Nintendo is doomed" to "amd is doomed", since the fallout of such a humongous fuck up would be huge for amd.

Eolz

Online MMO with VR?

Online and offline social experiences are completely different.
There's no point making it your focus as long as good and comfortable technology is expensive, which will be the case for a long while.
Even if Nintendo can compete on the price aspect, there's no point if it's do like psvr with an unproven technology. Not repeating PR BS, I've tried VR, I know VR devs and colleagues invested in it, this is not the right time for them and doesn't fit their expertise.

Markoman

Sorry, but that rumour seems way too absurd. In the remote case it's real, I hope the negative impact isn't even deeper than the delay, especially for third parties' developmet (who I think started working with SDKs anyway, if that helps) and that AMD gives an insane discount to Nintendo then, due to the error.

And this is how I start entertaining the idea of NX at 199.99

Ha, but even that won't help them. Xbox One + QB + Alan Wake + SWVII Blue Ray is at 269€ here in Germany right now. In 2017 base XboxOne and PS4 will be at 199$/€, no doubts.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Online and offline social experiences are completely different.
There's no point making it your focus as long as good and comfortable technology is expensive, which will be the case for a long while.
Even if Nintendo can compete on the price aspect, there's no point if it's do like psvr with an unproven technology. Not repeating PR BS, I've tried VR, I know VR devs and colleagues invested in it, this is not the right time for them and doesn't fit their expertise.

The asynchronous local MP that Nintendo did on Wii U could be done in VR.

edit: that it's not the right time for Nintendo to do this, I agree. They would have needed to prepare this well in advance, they can't just switch on the run to it.

Painguy

I wouldn't be surprised if this was true. AMD seems to be messy to work with. With the 360 red rings, MS went crazy analyzing how hardware was failing and who's fault it was. It pretty much came down to some shoddy work by AMD, but they pretty much denied it, and so MS lost $1 billion. Some internal teams were like yeah ATi dun goof'd, but they still wouldn't budge. So if AMD cost MS $1billion then this seems kinda plausable, but the source is super shoddy so im not gonna believe it.

Vena

I wouldn't be surprised if this was true. AMD seems to be messy to work with. With the 360 red rings, MS went crazy analyzing how hardware was failing and who's fault it was. It pretty much came down to some shoddy work by AMD, but they pretty much denied it, and so MS lost $1 billion. Some internal teams were like yeah ATi dun goof'd, but they still wouldn't budge.

No way they'd be able to dodge making the wrong product at a pivotal moment. The 360 was a bunch of reasons that compounded and became obvious after the fact, this would be a case of just sheer incompetence.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
God this is a disappointing time to be a Nintendo fan.

Glad I sold my Wii U (and 3DS) when I did. I was just holding out for the NX to wow me but the only thing that's blowing my mind is the fact that NX is being held until March 2017, no Wii U games are being shown at E3 except Zelda U, which itself is not being released until 2017.

Why even bother to show up? I really hope this means a great launch lineup but I'm not too optimistic.

This had to be planned out. I don't think it has to do with hardware. Kimishima said they wanted to get more games ready.

They probably planned on going to E3 to reveal the system to launch in the holidays then realized they wouldn't have enough games so pushed it to March. I mean it's very very very hard to believe a hardware company would ever think it's a good idea to have one playable game at E3. I think they thought NX and Zelda would be at E3, but software problems occurred.

Any possibility of your friend getting specs (rough guesses even) on the NX or XB1 upgrade or will he get assassinated by Yamauchi's ghost?

Pokemaniac

I wouldn't be surprised if this was true. AMD seems to be messy to work with. With the 360 red rings, MS went crazy analyzing how hardware was failing and who's fault it was. It pretty much came down to some shoddy work by AMD, but they pretty much denied it, and so MS lost $1 billion. Some internal teams were like yeah ATi dun goof'd, but they still wouldn't budge. So if AMD cost MS $1billion then this seems kinda plausable, but the source is super shoddy so im not gonna believe it.

Even if the GPU was the main contributor to the red ring, that would still mostly be Microsoft's fault for rushing that to market without proper testing.

This, if real, would be 100% on AMD (and/or the manufacturing plant).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This had to be planned out. I don't think it has to do with hardware. Kimishima said they wanted to get more games ready.

They probably planned on going to E3 to reveal the system to launch in the holidays then realized they wouldn't have enough games so pushed it to March. I mean it's very very very hard to believe a hardware company would ever think it's a good idea to have one playable game at E3. I think they thought NX and Zelda would be at E3, but software problems occurred.

You don't need finished games to do some trailers. Also, no big enough game that starts development now will be ready by March if at all for 2017.

I belive that AMD has the capacity to fk up that badly.

What I don't believe in is that a mere 1 plant can contribute to months of delays in a major product launch.

Even if the GPU was the main contributor to the red ring, that would still mostly be Microsoft's fault for rushing that to market without proper testing.

This, if real, would be 100% on AMD (and/or the manufacturing plant).

I thought it was the original 360 console design and inadequate cooling that contributed to RROD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom