• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thurrott: MS to announce a new standard Xbox controller and maybe Xbox Elite at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekim

https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/xbox-one/66802/microsoft-will-announce-new-hardware-e3

We are still several weeks away from Microsoft’s E3 press event but what the company will talk about is starting to come into focus. Based on sources inside the company, expect to see new hardware at the event and there will be a new standard controller that ships with the Xbox One.

The new standard controller will look similar to the current design, which isn’t too surprising, but will likely come in a new color. Considering that Microsoft currently ships a black controller, a white default design seems like a decent mid-cycle refresh for the console to help spur sales.

In addition to an updated standard controller, the company is exploring new interactions between the PC and the Xbox One to further extend the capabilities already present between the two (game streaming). Seeing as Microsoft wants to make Windows 10 on the desktop and Xbox one a ‘killer combination’, they are looking to leverage the ecosystem to create unique experiences for games that are on other platforms too.

The idea is simple, even for games that are not device exclusive, make unique experiences between the console and the PC that PlayStation cannot emulate easily to help differentiate the console from its competitors.

But wait, there’s more. The company also has something else up its sleeve that I still don’t have all the details on but it’s a much bigger deal than an updated standard controller. While the rumors of a PS4K have been running rampant, and I don’t know yet if this new device is set to take on that console, they will have another, much larger hardware related announcement, at E3 this year. I had previously heard that they were working on a new Elite console, they recently announced an Elite bundle, but I am not sure if this is an update to that product or something brand new.

This will be a big year for Microsoft at E3 as the company tries once again to show that its console is the better choice when sized up against the PS4. As I learn more about the new hardware, I’ll make sure to pass it along.

In the FCC thread we found a filing about a new controller that hasn't released yet.

Also in wifi chip filings there was basic and premium SKU mentioned.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Damn was hoping that maybe MS would have stolen some of the ideas from the DS4 like the built in head phone jack. Still wish Sony would update the DS4 aside from better thumbgrips on the sticks it could use some serious sprucing up.

Damn was hoping that maybe MS would have stolen some of the ideas of the DS4 like the built in head phone jack. Still wish Sony would update the DS4 aside from better thumbgrips on the sticks it could use some serious sprucing up.

The Xbone controller does

ekim

Damn was hoping that maybe MS would have stolen some of the ideas from the DS4 like the built in head phone jack. Still wish Sony would update the DS4 aside from better thumbgrips on the sticks it could use some serious sprucing up.

The recent models all have headphone jacks.

Darkangel

They did that a while back.

new-xbox-one-controller-ports.jpg

There's no need for drastic changes on the XB1 controller. It feels and handles way better than the 360 controller, and I liked the 360 controller.

I hope it's minor things.

ekim

Makes sense to call the console Elite when you also have the Elite controller. But the Elite bundle somehow destroyed the marketing effect.

The Flash

Banned
This will be like the third revision for the controller. What they really need to do is rip off the share button from the DS4.

Fuchsdh

Hopefully standard is one with grips, it's hard to use another controller after using the LUnar

Yep the Lunar controller's textured grips are great, using another controller feels incredibly slippery. Was completely worth patronizing GameStop for it.

Neoxon

Elite will be the name for the new more powerful xbox. Makes sense. You technically not starting a new generation calling it that. Same as 4K
Not necessarily. While granted, I am expecting a more powerful XB1, Microsoft did use the Elite name for their 360 refresh (same specs, new SKU).

Alx

Seeing as Microsoft wants to make Windows 10 on the desktop and Xbox one a ‘killer combination’, they are looking to leverage the ecosystem to create unique experiences for games that are on other platforms too.

The idea is simple, even for games that are not device exclusive, make unique experiences between the console and the PC that PlayStation cannot emulate easily to help differentiate the console from its competitors.

I like the sound of it, I'm curious to see what they'll offer... but having consoles trying to differentiate from each other is best for everybody. :)

Zedox

I'm definitely interested in this years E3. I was thinking they would announce a new slim and that be it for hardware (I was hoping for next year for their "Neo" device) and more focus on software.

Either way. Excited.

Yep the Lunar controller's textured grips are great, using another controller feels incredibly slippery. Was completely worth patronizing GameStop for it.

Agreed, the grips made a bigger difference than I thought. Thankfully I was able to dump a busted day one controller during their trade in deal and pay them next to nothing for it.

Embedded LEDs so it can be picked up more accurately by Oculus cameras, in preparation for Oculus on Xbox One Deluxe compatibility.
Early Rift adopters SOL, or sent one for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom