• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's to U, Wii U

To many, the Wii U is a commercial failure that came out at the wrong time, had the wrong idea and failed to compete with its direct competition. To others, the Wii U is this:

cgVQa9Z.png

While we didn't get a Metroid, F-Zero or even an exclusive Zelda game we did get some of the best games to ever hit the industry. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is one of the best platformers of all time, Splatoon is a fresh take on the industrys most oversaturated genre and Super Mario 3D World is fun burnt onto a disc.

Then we have the games that wouldn't have existed if it wern't for Nintendo's push and support. These are games that were doomed from the start in terms of sales but they exist because theres an audience out there who want them, no matter how small that audience may be. Bayonetta 2, Devil's Third and Project Zero: Maiden of Blackwater. These aren't games that sell a million units in a week, a month or even ever but they are important to a handful of consumers, and its really cool that they were made.

Then we have the budget games like Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Yoshi's Woolly World and even Splatoon. Games that focus on providing a fun time without the AAA budget. I want more of these and by the sounds of it this will be a big part of NX's future.

The indie presense on the Wii U is also phenomenal, this isn't a full up to date list but its pretty extensive (great thread too):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1172907

The Wii U had its shortcomings, the hardware was limited, the third party support was close to non exsistent but it had its perks. The gamepad could truly offer an enhanced experience as demonstrated by the Zelda remasters, Zombi U, Splatoon, Star Fox Zero and Nintendo Land. Nintendo even lent their properties and partnered with third parties in the case of Pokken, Hyrule Warriors, Super Smash Bros and Wii Sports Club.

Looking back on everything the systems accomplished I'm not just happy with the Wii U, I love it. It may have only sold 13 million units but that means 13 million people bought one system to play one companies games. I think thats pretty special even if its Nintendo's worst performing system.

We've still got Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Paper Mario Colour Splash and The Legend of Zelda to come and while thats a very small lineup they all offer something unique and special to further diversify this fantastic library. I'm all for a fresh start with NX, but the Wii U is not a failure to me. I've had so much fun with this little box.

pn5zJi2.png

I didn't put these in the OP because I wanted to focus on system exclusives but as pointed out by a few posters many third party Wii U games used the gamepad in ways that enhance the experience.

Batman Arkham City isn't a perfect port but it includes all the DLC and gamepad intergration that makes traversing Arkham City better than any other version.

I wanted to put Devil's Third in the OP, its a fantastic game that I think was misunderstood. Its pure fun with AA production values. Its one of my favourite online shooters ever, give it a chance at the very least.

Tekken is also pretty special with its Nintendo themed costumes and exclusive volley ball mode.

Of course there are other good third party Wii U games like Call of Duty Ghosts, Scribblenauts Unlimited and Mass Effect 3 but these are the 9 I recommend. Sonic Lost World has some terrific free Yoshi and Zelda DLC

As much as the Wii U failed in console sales, the software attach rates are impressive. It's unfortunate that Nintendo couldn't get the marketing right because clearly the quality first party games are there.

It has my personal favorite library of games this generation so far as well as my tied game of the generation so far, Wonderful 101.

wmlk

As much as the Wii U failed in console sales, the software attach rates are impressive. It's unfortunate that Nintendo couldn't get the marketing right because clearly the quality first party games are there.

When people have less things to buy, then whatever game comes out next will have a higher attach rate because that's all the system has.

The Flash

Banned
Pretty cool system in its own way. Splatoon, Smash, and Mario Maker made the system worth it for me. Sucks that it ended up in its current situation. Here's to NX starting off better. Can't wait to see what it'll do.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, I can get behind this.

The Wii U basically represents everything I liked about gaming back in the late 90s/early 2000s, which I think was the best the industry's ever been. It's a system where the games have an exceptional amount of polish, didn't feel the need to be super edgy or pandering, and where games are focused on just being games; not overblown cinematic or social experiences. Despite most of the rest of the industry's best efforts, it's a system that remembers what fun is.

And that's kinda cool.

Looking at those games, I see too many that were inappropriately priced based on the amount of content they have. Hell, charging $60 for a remaster of a game that's almost ten tears old when most remasters of younger games go for a fair $40 is pretty ludicrous. I know that Twilight Princess HD still sold decently but I am really hoping that Nintendo's pricing standards improve going foward to the NX generation. It would probably help their digital and retail sales a lot. But then again, they're still charging $8.00 for SNES games ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mrmickfran

Bayonetta
Bayonetta 2
3D World
Mario Kart 8
Smash 4
Pikmin 3
Tropical Freeze
Splatoon
Star Fox Zero
Wind Waker HD

These next few months are going to suck, but I would be lying if I said that I didn't have fun with my WiiU.

I loved it a lot. I personally was very happy with it.

5 player multiplayer was great and there were a lot of games I loved. I own over 50 retail titles for it.

Also off-tv play is by far my most used new feature this gen. I've played most of the time with my Wii U with my TV off.

It has two games of the generation for me in The Wonderful 101 and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

The lack of an exclusive Zelda will always haunt it unfortunately.

rjc571

Banned
Hugely disappointing follow-up to the greatest console of all time. That said, I did rather enjoy a handful of games.

I bought one refurbished for $200 a while back. I really only played Mario Kart and Smash Bros on it but the hours I spent with those games made the purchase worth it. It's so nice to have for when people are around, everbody is down to play Kart or Smash.

There's a few other games I was interested in but never got around to for whatever reason. Tropical Freeze, Wonderful 101. Hell I own Windwaker HD but didn't play more than a few hours. Maybe this Summer when not many games are coming out I'll make it the "Summer of Wii U" and finally play some of those.

El Odio

Banned
A lot of people seem to be really down on their Wii U purchases after last night but I still have to say that it actually might be one of my favorite systems after the SNES. 3D World, Tropical Freeze, Woolly World, Star Fox Zero and hell even Rainbow Curse felt like solid entries into their respective series and the W101 and Splatoon were some of the freshest new experiences I've had this gen, pun not really intended.

Geg

I own more games for it and have spent more time on it than I did with my Wii. It honestly got me back into playing video games more after a few years of not really being into gaming.

Splatoon and Wonderful 101 for games of the generation

When people have less things to buy, then whatever game comes out next will have a higher attach rate because that's all the system has.

What? Why would the number of games matter? Isn't attach rate just total software sales divided by total hardware sales, i.e. Average games owned per console owner?

Edit: disregard above I'm a big dummy.

i liked six of those games. Still hate the gamepad, Mii's in general and Miiverse in particular, and how sluggish the system is.

Liked it more than the Wii but still happy to see it get an early grave.

Plum

Looking at those games, I see too many that were inappropriately priced based on the amount of content they have. Hell, charging $60 for a remaster of a game that's almost ten tears old when most remasters of younger games go for a fair $40 is pretty ludicrous. I know that Twilight Princess HD still sold decently but I am really hoping that Nintendo's pricing standards improve going foward to the NX generation. It would probably help their digital and retail sales a lot. But then again, they're still charging $8.00 for SNES games ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not seeing it. Wind Waker and TP HD were definitely overpriced, nobody's denying that, but apart from maybe Star Fox Zero there aren't really any "overpriced" games there. The Nintendo Premium is always going to make you pay more for Nintendo products.

EDIT: Should say that some are 'budget' releases, mainly Kirby, Splatoon and Captain Toad. Out of those three only really the latter is that short on content.

I love my Wii U, but I'm a little sad we never got a Metroid, F-Zero, or exclusive Zelda. I'm sure the NX version of Zelda U will be superior so I doubt I'll get it on this system.

The lack of RPGs also hurt it a little but, but I'm still glad I picked one up.

phanphare

Banned
Yeah, I can get behind this.

The Wii U basically represents everything I liked about gaming back in the late 90s/early 2000s, which I think was the best the industry's ever been. It's a system where the games have an exceptional amount of polish, didn't feel the need to be super edgy or pandering, and where games are focused on just being games; not overblown cinematic or social experiences. Despite most of the rest of the industry's best efforts, it's a system that remembers what fun is.

And that's kinda cool.

signed

the Wii U honestly feels like a send off to gaming as we once knew it. and it was glorious.

If there's one thing we can all agree on it's that Nintendo killed it with the box-art this cycle. Man, some of those are terrific.

Nintendo was always chasing it's own tail with the Wii U. The launch lineup was weak, and there wasn't another major first-party game released until the following August. By the time 3D World came out, the Wii U had gone an entire calendar year with only Pikmin 3 to it's name, outside the initial launch titles. It was really bad. Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, and Mario Maker are four of the most wonderful games they've ever made. Still, four wonderful games does not make a console. Maybe if all four had come out within the first two years. Nintendo was just too slow. By the time Splatoon was ready in 2015, the Wii U had no chance of coming back.

Still, Wii U doesn't have an original Zelda, doesn't have a true, exploration-based 3D Mario action game, and still doesn't have a Metroid. The Wii U has been out since 2012 and there's still not a Zelda!! Come on!! What happened, Nintendo?

Nekofrog

Banned
to the system that killed off the last bit of goodwill i had for nintendo after having been an ardent fanboy for the NES and SNES

hurrah!

Galang

Banned
Mario 3D World alone made the purchase worth it for me. No longer have one, but I would have enjoyed SFZero as well. Will get to borrow it from my friend soon at least

You failed OP, the only game that matters isn't even on your list. Where is Monster Hunter?

Doh. I'm sure I missed a couple of others, MH3U is my personal favourite Monster Hunter too. I also missed Devil's Third in the picture which I have an unpopular affection towards.

Hip Hop

off-tv is one of the best features in gaming.

I skipped the Wii and did not like where it went, but the Wii U brought me back in. A great console, but sadly never hit full potential.

Still, Wii U doesn't have an original Zelda, doesn't have a true, exploration-based 3D Mario action game, and still doesn't have a Metroid. The Wii U has been out since 2012 and there's still not a Zelda!! Come on!! What happened, Nintendo?

Everything up to the Wii involved an ages old format that they were absolute masters of.

HD really put them in over their heads, despite the quality they put out. Hopefully NX won't have that problem.

I fucking love my WiiU, it's a very underrated and misunderstood console.

also, ZombiU was secretly the best game this generation... it's a shame that the reviewers sucks and didn't "get" the game.

I really really wanted a sequel, I still blame the reviewers for sabotaging the game.

Zomba13

While the third party support wasn't there (unless funded by/partnered with Nintendo) the games were great. Wii U will always be a top tier console purely thanks to Bayonetta 2, the other stuff is just a bonus that makes the platform even better.

Yeah, if you go to the Wii U for popular multiplatform releases then you'll be disappointed but if you went in expecting some great Nintendo games then I think it delivered.

Kamek

The only games I really played on my PS4 were MGS and SFV a lot. Most of my gaming this generation has been on my Wii U. So many great first party offerings. Although many promises came undelivered, I can say it's the most fun I've had with Nintendo since the Gamecube. I liked the Wii, and had MANY MANY games for it. I truly enjoy motion controls, especially the Wiimote Motion +. I've just maybe had more time to game since the Wii was during my college years and the Wii U is post college/ Master's.

Oddly enough, this is the only console this gen that did hold my attention. Not much on the PS4/Xbox One really interested me.

Had a lot of good times with 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Smash, Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, etc

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wii U had an amazing library (with Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE as a big swan song). Excellent new iterations like Tropical Freeze, Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, 3D World, Yoshi's Woolly World (hell, best Yoshi game since the first), Hyrule Warriors (counting as part of the Musou/Warriors series), Bayonetta 2, Super Mario Maker, Pikmin 3, Star Fox Zero, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and even some awesome new experiences like The Wonderful 101 (NX version please Nintendo), Splatoon, Captain Toad, and Shovel Knight.

You might not have won the consumers, but you did win my heart.
... Fuck that was cheesy.

robot

Some of Nintendo's best games since the Super Nintendo imo. My favorite Smash, Kart, 3D Mario, and DK in their respective franchises, plus a lot of others. Would've loved to see some more 3rd party support.

off-tv is one of the best features in gaming.

I skipped the Wii and did not like where it went, but the Wii U brought me back in. A great console, but sadly never hit full potential.

Other people's off-tv experience must have been than mine. my games started disconnecting after moving more than 8 feet from the console.

Also, there are 6 2d platformers on that list. Nintendo really went to the 2d plattformer well alot this generation.

redcrayon

To many, the Wii U is a commercial failure that came out at the wrong time, had the wrong idea and failed to compete with its direct competition. To others, the Wii U is this:
To lots of us it's a mix of both. Great games combined with wrong idea at the wrong time, and failure again to do anything to attract western third parties.

Personally I'll always love the WiiU for the off-TV play, being able to pour hundreds of hours into great looking (to me) online games like Mario Kart and Monster Hunter while sitting in bed. Easily more than 90% of my time with it has been in a different room to where the base unit is.

Top Bottom