• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ComicGAF Presents: Black Panther Essential Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
panther.jpg

With Civil War opening in EU/Australia this week and next week in the US, I'm sure that many lapsed readers/new fans will have taken interest in the true king of Wakanda, T'Challa, The Black Panther. Considered to be one of the most prominent African superheroes in comics, Black Panther is a character that has played a pivotal role in the Marvel Universe since his inception, and has quite a bit of required reading for those who are interested in fun stories involving the character. For those who have seen Civil War, let this thread serve as the jumping point for your foray into the comic world.

What to know

Comic reading can be an expensive hobby, but there are options available for you to keep your costs down. Marvel Unlimited is a wonderful gateway into this hobby, and for $9.99 you can read over 17,000 back issues of old marvel comics, with the newest material dropping on the site after 6 months or so.

If you are a collector, you can drive the cost down of physical editions by shopping at Instocktrades which sells trade paperbacks and hardcover collections at $45-50% off. US only unfortunately, but Amazon.com will net you some halfway decent discounts as well. Also, check your local library for any books they may have in their collection.

Now, onto the essential reading list:

T'Challa's First Appearance (Fantastic 4 #52-53)

This is it! The big one! Fantastic Four #52-53, the introduction of Stan Lee & Jack Kirby's new superhero: The Black Panther. The art in this story is gorgeous, and I still feel as if Jack drew him the best. It's Fantasfic Four vs. The King of Wakanda, who will win, and who will pay the ultimate sacrifice? (Nobody, because it's comic books.)

Available in: Fantastic Four Omnibus vol 2, Marvel Unlimited.

T'Challa Joins The Avengers (Avengers #52)

Not much to say really. Buy today's standards this story is kind of stupid (I look forward to the posts telling me I'm wrong), but this is it, this is when he joins the avengers for the first time, garbage tier ballerina outfit and all. For all intents it's good for what it is, but it's not my favorite issue.

Available in: Avengers Omnibus 2, Marvel Unlimited

Who Is The Black Panther?

Another stunning look at the character adapted by Reginal Huldin and drawn by JRJ. Essential for anyone getting into the character

Available in: Black Panther: Who Is The Black Panther (Marvel Unlimited, Amazon, Comixology, IST)

Based God Chris Priest Run

This is it! This shit is legitttttt omfg you have no idea. Chris Priest basically definited the modern day take on this character, and I love this run to death.

threat.png

There's some big moments here, and T'Challa is as sassy as ever. This is really what I would consider to be the required reading for the character. It can be picked up and read just about anywhere.

Available in: Black Panther The Christopher Priest Collection 1-4, Marvel Unilimted, Comixology

Black Panther is A Dick (New Avengers #1-Onward)

2839332-111.jpg

Setting forth the events of Secret Wars, T'Challa is a member of a secret subset of The Avengers, and he's the biggest prick in the universe. With this being so fresh I won't say much more, but his dynamic with Namor is lovely, and the tension between them is one of the best in comics, and leads to one of the biggest moments I can think of. He plays a pivotal role in the event moving forward, and I consider this to be one of his most important roles in the Marvel Universe. Use your new love of this character to read one of the best Marvel runs ever created (Hickman's New Avengers/Avengers-Secret Wars)

Available in: New Avengers vol 1-onward, Marvel Unlimited, Comixology

All New, All Different Black Panter

960.jpg

Just released this past month, Marvel was making waves when they announced that extraordinary writer Ta-Nehisi Coates (Between The World And Me) would be telling his story for T'Challa in the post Secret War timeline. There is a ton of nuanced storytelling to this book so far, and I honestly felt like it delivered. One part Game of Thrones, one part street level comic, I feel like this is a book to stick around for, and I can't wait for the next issue.

Hope this shortlist helps you in your search for Black Panther books, and begins your love for the character and comics in general. If you have any additional questions about Black Panther, or the 70s run, we can discuss that below. Enjoy!

PS- Civil War is a shit event, please don't read it.

Zombine

Banned
As an expect on American Culture (I have lived here for over 26 years) I can tell you that Messi doesn't get Comic books nor will he ever as an Irish citizen. You have to live here to really "get it".
lol

Which issue specifically is the one where BP gets
disowned by his entire filial lineage for not being awesome like Namor.

I'm going through the Priest run right now and it's fantastic.

I was surprised at the level of humor that's in the book, for some reason I expected BP to be serious as fuck all the time.

That's not to say that shit doesn't get real in it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Parallax wanted to let you know you dont have NEARLY enough Hudlin in this OP.

Gonna add Jason Aaron/Jeffe Palo's 3-issue Secret Invasion tie-in. Good read!

tumblr_ngdia472Br1rondm5o1_500.png

Slayven

I'm going through the Priest run right now and it's fantastic.

I was surprised at the level of humor that's in the book, for some reason I expected BP to be serious as fuck all the time.

That's not to say that shit doesn't get real in it.

They took the man's pants

EhoaVash

so in the comics he's married to Storm.

so does that mean marvel can use Storm in future black panther movies?? like how they used quicksilver and Scarlet witch?

if not does black panther have other romantic partners?

Zombine

Banned

so does that mean marvel can use Storm in future black panther movies?? like how they used quicksilver and Scarlet witch?

No Storm, because she's firmly a mutant and appeared as an X-person first.

Black Panther is such a badass character.

There is a girl who T' Challa met when he was in college. I think her name is Monica. Check the Priest's run for more info.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
You add clownshoes hudlin stuff to the mix?

Honestly you should add the last exiles series. Its stars tchalla and storms alt universe son tchaka, and its interesting to see how much he differs from his stoic father

No Hudlin?

*smokebombs away*

Parallax wanted to let you know you dont have NEARLY enough Hudlin in this OP.

Gonna add Jason Aaron/Jeffe Palo's 3-issue Secret Invasion tie-in. Good read!

tumblr_ngdia472Br1rondm5o1_500.png

These crab goons right here....

NEO0MJ

Fantastic Four #544-553 by Dwayne McDuffie and Paul Pelletier

wow5uz9.jpg

Wait, this is bull. How the hell is he holding the Silver Surfer?! This is worse than Batman pandering, which makes sense since he's a poor man's Batman.

I know that hold doesn't last :p

olympia

I really like the story with black panther vs kiber the cruel. it had the dark twist that was endemic to marvel comics of that era. it's a quick read, maybe 2 or 3 issues.

Christian

I'm collecting the actual Chris Priest comic run. First of all, any and all comics with Deadpool are stupidly expensive. Had to pay out the ears for NM copies of BP23 and DP44. Second, the run is incredibly enjoyable. I'm through like issue 14 and I'm loving it. Third, finding some of these issues is a pain in the rear, especially if you try to have standards regarding their condition. Fourth, when did Mephisto turn into an actual monster?

Hagi

The Priest run is that good? guess I should give it a read as I've only really experienced T'Challa through da god Hickman.

Rooster12

The Priest run is that good? guess I should give it a read as I've only really experienced T'Challa through da god Hickman.

For me it doesn't get consistently good until issue #20 (when Killmonger destroys Panther)....then it really takes off and becomes the best BP stuff you'll read.

Priest does create one of the most annoying characters in Everett Ross, who's in every damn issue

Everettross.jpg

Fuck this guy

For me it doesn't get consistently good until issue #20 (when Killmonger destroys Panther)....then it really takes off and becomes the best BP stuff you'll read.

Priest does create one of the most annoying characters in Everett Ross, who's in every damn issue

Everettross.jpg

Fuck this guy

Ross is amazing

Rooster12

You're right he's amazing.

So amazing that he probably has more scenes and more dialogue than BP himself in the series.

He might as well be the star of the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom