• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Trauma Center: Under the Knife (DS)

DNAbro

So I went to a local game store a few days ago and saw a used copy and decided to give the series a try. Made it to Chapter 5 so I wanted to give my thoughts and ask some questions

First thing that shocked me when I played was that it looked like this
tc_wallpaper_01.jpg

and not like this
maxresdefault.jpg

I never saw any of the art of original and didn't realize how bad it was. I was expecting to see art of the Wii one when starting up, but it kind of looks like some really boring early 2000's low budget anime. Really disappointing honestly, but I guess that is my fault for assuming the art was the same.

Also second thing, is the game supposed to be so god damn difficult? I have gotten a C on almost every operation, I can't tell if I'm just not moving fast enough or I'm doing something fundamentally wrong. I can't fathom doing some of these things faster than I'm currently doing. Healing Touch almost feels like a necessity for every single operation so far.

And my god, fuuuuuuuuuuuuck Triti
latest

This thing has been an absolute nightmare to understand. I had to look up a guide, step by step in order to figure out a way to actually do this. After watching a few videos on it and someone clearly explaining it, now I think I kind of have an understanding of how it works.

Story is okay so far, it gets a bit too dramatic way too quick, but nothing offensive. Even though I sound upset, I've been enjoying it so far.

So what do people think of the original DS game? Should I have just looked for the Wii port?

SephLuis

The Wii port is better but Trauma Center on the DS is still a great game.

It really takes some practice for you to get used to the game and start ranking better.

Also, you still have most of the game left and difficulty ramps up towards the end. Have fun.

DNAbro

The Wii port is better but Trauma Center on the DS is still a great game.

It really takes some practice for you to get used to the game and start ranking better.

Also, you still have most of the game left and difficulty ramps up towards the end. Have fun.

I'm honestly worried I won't be able to beat the game cause of difficulty lol. Usually I have no patience for difficult games, but it hasn't stopped me with this yet.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Also second thing, is the game supposed to be so god damn difficult?

Yes, that's kinda what the series (outside of Trauma Team. Good luck finding a copy of the 10K copies sold in America. No you aren't getting mine) is known for.

Honestly, I prefer the DS entires to the waggle entries. Probably because I feel wayyyy more accurate despite the fumbling on tool selections.

I'm honestly worried I won't be able to beat the game cause of difficulty lol. Usually I have no patience for difficult games, but it hasn't stopped me with this yet.

Everything the game throws at you is introduced in the introduction GUILT missions/operations. The MAJOR problem is doing them quickly (while balancing Vitals dropping) and cleanly/accurately.

If you want to see true pain and "THE REAL TRAUMA CENTER STARTS HERE": Once you finish the main story, do the X-missions.

It is really hard, but boy is it satisfying when you do well. Fuck Triti indeed though. Love the DS version, but what I've played of the Wii version was good too.

I remember getting to one of the final missions in the DS version and just not being able to beat it. The difficulty was unreal and beyond stressful. Super satisfying though. As far as the art of the original goes I like it. The early 00s anime look was nice. The modern Atlus artstyle has it beat though.

Clive

Is the Wii version easier? I have to admit I had to drop this one very close to the end because of the insane difficulty.

S
And my god, fuuuuuuuuuuuuck Triti
latest

This is the worst thing ever.

Fun story: I went to Denny's with some friends late at night and playing this part of the game while waiting for our order. I kept getting frustrated and saying shit like "Are you fucking kidding me! This is horse shit!" and my friends were having a laugh at my expense, it was all in good fun.

Apparently some drunk trucker thought we were heckling him with my cursing and their laughter and so tried to start a fight with me outside.

Thanks, Trauma Center.

DNAbro

This is the worst thing ever.

Fun story: I went to Denny's with some friends late at night and playing this part of the game while waiting for our order. I kept getting frustrated and saying shit like "Are you fucking kidding me! This is horse shit!" and my friends were having a laugh at my expense, it was all in good fun.

Apparently some drunk trucker thought we were heckling him with my cursing and their laughter and so tried to start a fight with me outside.

Thanks, Trauma Center.

I was playing with my brother in the room and yelled "what the fuck is happening? it shouldn't be doing that" and then he proceeded to laugh and say that a doctor should probably never say that.

Good to hear that it may be too difficult to beat by some. Can't wait to see what shit it throws at me.

maxcriden

My understanding is the Wii version is much better, but--is the DS sequel (which AFAIK is not available anywhere else) more like the Wii games in art style/production value than this game is?

brad-t

Huh. I feel like I suck at video games and while I definitely found this game challenging as a teenager, I don't recall it ever feeling unfair or insurmountable. (I also really loved it.)

Is the Wii version easier? I have to admit I had to drop this one very close to the end because of the insane difficulty.

Yes the Wii version has difficulty selection.

My understanding is the Wii version is much better, but--is the DS sequel (which AFAIK is not available anywhere else) more like the Wii games in art style/production value than this game is?

I adore Under the Knife 2, much better art, music and production value, better difficulty curve as well,

syncyes

I've never managed to beat this game. Got stuck somewhere around the last five missions.

I actually find the old art style very endearing haha, maybe because I played the game so much around its original release?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Good game, but frustrating as fuck. I remember feeling like a robot during some of the operations. Like when something "unexpected" happens but you've played and lost on that same part 50+ times so everything before is just automatic. Don't think I ever beat it either. Oh well.

maxcriden

I adore Under the Knife 2, much better art, music and production value, better difficulty curve as well,

Thrilled to hear it. Thank you. We have all the Wii games and the second DS one so it sounds like we were steered correctly as to which to get. We've only played part of the first Wii game and just never got back to it. But I'd like to soon, it's very nerve-racking in a fun way.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Last boss is straight horse shit though, oh my god that music though

LMAO. Don't remind me, the curve was good until that final battle and I was cursing up a storm during it. Once I finished it it felt good, but man... fuck that final mission and the X-missions. I never touch the X-missions in any of the series.

Dominator

I somehow beat this game on the DS, and absolutely loved it in the process. It did take me awhile to beat though. I love the second game and all 3 Wii (the first being a remake of the original, I beat that one very quickly. Motion controls worked very well) games as well. I wish they would have made a new one on 3DS :(

Good luck OP, late game operations are BRUTAL. I thought I was gonna destroy my DS touchscreen playing it because of so much use.

Skittles

LMAO. Don't remind me, the curve was good until that final battle and I was cursing up a storm during it. Once I finished it it felt good, but man... fuck that final mission and the X-missions. I never touch the X-missions in any of the series.
The second game's equivalent to the Triti as an X-mission is probably the most bullshit thing i've ever seen. I literally don't know how you do some of those x-missions unless you start drawing pentagram stars and shit in real life

edit: may just be thinking of the first game's triti x mission.

OP prefers the Wii art? Ew...

So many good memories with this game. I can't believe I beat all the extra operations. That took ages.

Thrilled to hear it. Thank you. We have all the Wii games and the second DS one so it sounds like we were steered correctly as to which to get. We've only played part of the first Wii game and just never got back to it. But I'd like to soon, it's very nerve-racking in a fun way.

Play UtK2 and then Trauma Team asap, the later is one of the most overlooked gems on the Wii imo . Try Second Opinion if you want to, I found New Blood uninteresting so I didn't finish it.

The Giant

Banned
The final level is insanely hard. After nonstop failure, I took a month break and when I returned it. I beat it in a couple turns

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Doctor Stiles!

I think I barely beat the game. Super intense.

That was a good year for the DS. Lost in Blue. Trauma Center. Phoenix Wright. Ouendan. Daaaamn!

ASIS

The trauma series is really good, but it wasn't until trauma team that the series really started to shine. That game is undoubtedly one of the best games not only on the Wii, but the entire seventh generation.

Such a shame we are never going to get another one :(

DNAbro

Okay I got to chapter 6 this morning after that really cool yet incredibly BS "boss fight" at the end of chap 5.

Holy shit are they serious with this? I can't even make a minute in without things just immediately falling apart. I can see why so many people here couldn't finish it.

Lynx_7

I remember having to be pretty much frame perfect in order to beat the last boss of this game. The fact that you have to
save up you pentagram-thing until the very end
was such bullshit because I didn't realize it the first few times and got all the way up to the end only to get stuck forever in there. I don't think my reflexes have ever been as fast as they were when I did that mission, shit's insane lol
Though to be honest I'd probably rather face him again than triti. Just screw triti, man.

I watched a few videos of the Wii version and it looks like a much easier game. I gotta remember to pick up Under the Knife 2, New Blood and Trauma Team someday.

DNAbro

As one last update, I was able to beat Chapter 6 and see the credits roll. I tried X1 mission and just nope to that. That was incredibly satisfying to finish it up. Don't currently plan to pick up the others yet, but I'll keep them in mind.

I remember Triti eventually not being a problem for me once I got good at how it works.

But fuck fuck FUCK Deftera, the twins that fuse. Thats pretty much the soul reason I haven't finished Second Opinion on hard, because of the one mission where you do Triti, Kyriaki, Deftera, and Paraskevi in succession.

If the same color bumps with each other, it causes a health drop and tumors. Its super annoying and almost luck based, with some influence with your gel to corral them.

latest

Go the hell.

Top Bottom