• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With classic Style BF being liked so much - Is there a chance Halo can now go back?

I have spoken on this topic a lot (much more so in the past and almost not at all through the last 3 or 4 months) and a lot of players had always hit me with

Games change
Players need to adapt
Games need to adapt to the market

I always felt that Halo was Halo well because it is Halo. With that said, I still strongly believe Halo with no sprint, no extreme dash, clamber ideas would not only be welcome but would bring the series and the fans back while also getting much better sales and player counts.

All in all, I think a lot of fans are like me who are simply wanting that play style of old, that is what made us like the game after all.

I know there are a lot of you who like halo 5 on this board and prefer it but I am more or less talking about the players that are lost and don't play the game anymore (which is a large percentage)

I would be on the Halo hype train without doubt if maps and overall feeling and game play were between halo 2/3 with new weapons, and some sort of new lifts, map designs that don't take away from those cores.

How do you feel it would be taken with the core game play there that has not been there fully since Halo 3 and 2.

At the end of the day, I just hope they will try it. As long a they don't mess something up with the core (movement, back smacks, jump overs, heights of jumps) I think it would go over very well. If they keep doing little annoyances like some aim issues that H5 had, bloom lights and over saturation then I don't know if they have the right guys o the job perhaps.

In the end, would it get bigger numbers back? At least in sales?

As for BF1, I am not even saying it will be a great game (campaign) at least, but it's a fresh feeling when so many games are trying to do the same thing for whatever silly reason. I welcome our Deadpool and World War copies for at least a few years.

POINT being- mix some games up, future is fine but you have to take chances developers and there is nothing wrong with keeping hardcore different play styles and looks.

Would still love to see Socom remake, I actually enjoyed Mag more than any COD or BF last gen and they just needed a few changes to have that game become a bit bigger imo

ActWan

With all the amount of likes and buzz the new Battlefield trailer got, I think we may be heading towards a new industry trend of going back to the roots.

Hanmik

what are you talking about..? isn't this just the same Battlefield game with a new skin (and brand new graphics)..

what is so "back to the roots" about this?

Fbh

When people say they want a WW1 or 2 shooter I take it more like them wanting a modern shooter set in those time periods and not really as them wanting a game that plays like the old WW2 shooter we had 15 years ago. I think the excitement for BF1 is about the setting and not necesarily the gameplay, the big shooter franchises have just been stuck in modern days and beyond for too long

But anyway, I'd be all for more classic shooters making a comeback, specially on consoles. I'm still waiting for a big console shooter with no classes/perks and with weapon pickups on the map

No_Style

Also, at what point are you asking for for a remake or remaster? BF1 may look like it's 'going back to roots' but the destruction and all the other modern gameplay touches and changes don't make it BF1942. Sprinting for example wasn't only introduced in BF2.

singhr1

You want to back to games that have a sandbox of weapons that are 50% useless?

You want to back to games with smaller skill gaps (chaining together movement and mastering H5's reduced aim assist)?

Going back to the "roots of Battlefield" is still completely different than going back to the "roots of Halo" especially with no time period to fall back to.

Would it be cool if they continued to do spin-off games and explored time periods of the past, sure. I think a game that you spend the whole time as an elite could be pretty spectacular. Their religious zeal could make for interesting story and character development.

Archpath1

I think halo 5 compromised fairly well with the style of old

Went back to weapons on map, some decently large maps

The movement mechanics were a nice touch

Also this isn't exactly the 'roots' of BF; this is still going to have squads, destruction, unlocks, and player customization, so it's still iterative on the Battlefield 2 onward formula. I mean I'm hella excited, just feel it bears keeping in mind.

what are you talking about..? isn't this just the same Battlefield game with a new skin (and brand new graphics)..

what is so "back to the roots" about this?
Yes I know that's true. I can't cover all things in a post.. That's just me admittedly .

There is no doubt game play mechanics and game play that won't be very old school, but I assume we won't have a lot of her pakcs and wall crimping at least.

I do think the more they are away from tf, halo and cod the better though.

Don't think Battlefield One's first victory means anything for Halo at all. Halo 5's relatively underwhelming sales will do more to change the future of Halo than anything else.

That said, I'd love for 343i to ditch sprint - and at least reevaluate thrusters. They can keep Clamber, 'smart-scope', and the game's amazing weapon balancing though.

You want to back to games that have a sandbox of weapons that are 50% useless?

You want to back to games with smaller skill gaps (chaining together movement and mastering H5's reduced aim assist)?

Going back to the "roots of Battlefield" is still completely different than going back to the "roots of Halo" especially with no time period to fall back to.

Would it be cool if they continued to do spin-off games and explored time periods of the past, sure. I think a game that you spend the whole time as an elite could be pretty spectacular. Their religious zeal could make for interesting story and character development.
I want the most, the slow methodical setups and power weapon placements on those maps. There are hundreds of little small things that would make it halo for me and others but those are the big ones that Halo has been missing since reach and more so 1, 2 and 3.

All I'm saying, people liked those games for reasons. I'd strongly consider it if I was at 343. What do they have to lose?

Akai__

How do you know that a large percentage moved away from Halo, because it's not classic Halo like Halo 2/3? Do you realize that Halo 2's and 3's popularity was a given, because there was just no competition at those times? It was THE FPS on consoles, until MW/MW2 released. Now that we have like 3-4 shooters to choose from every year, it's very hard to sustain a larger MP audience for an exclusive Xbox One FPS. Which is a shame, because Halo 5 is underrated.

But to answer your question, I don't think you will ever get what you want, especially since peoples definition of classic Halo is splitted in 3 big parts. 343i's vision of Halo just isn't going in that direction and Halo 6 will probably have even more abilities. I don't see them stripping them down. Your only hope is a prequel, since 343i added lore to MP starting with Halo 4 and everything they do is backed up with a lore reason.

Halo 5 Guardians is classic Halo. It's the most "Halo" Halo since CE.

It's not really classic Halo. It has evolved (no pun intended) significantly, which is also needed. Halo 5 is a great game (343i's horrible management aside), but to call it classic Halo is really a stretch, if you look at all those abilities + the maps that have been developed arround those. Sure, it's finally closer to the roots, but go back to any previous Halo game and tell me how classic it is.

How is the player count of Halo 2 Anniversary compared to Halo 5, for example? That might tell you if there's a desire for classic Halo with the wider audience.

Kikorin

I think there will be nothing "classic" in Battlefield 1, only a modern fps in an old environment, but I think will be really similar to all others Battlefield from 3.

With all the amount of likes and buzz the new Battlefield trailer got, I think we may be heading towards a new industry trend of going back to the roots.

About fucking time honestly. Its too easy to get overwhelmed by the ludicrously massive amount of crap in multiplayer games now. Battlefront was incredibly refreshing because it cut that crap down to a minimum. I hope from what I've heard, BF1 will similarly cut the crap.

singhr1

I want the most, the slow methodical setups and power weapon placements on those maps. There are hundreds of little small things that would make it halo for me and others but those are the big ones that Halo has been missing since reach and more so 1, 2 and 3.

All I'm saying, people liked those games for reasons. I'd strongly consider it if I was at 343. What do they have to lose?

Setups and weapon placements are hugely important in Halo 5, especially Strongholds. They aren't "slow" due to the small map size but it is hugely strategic and methodical.

Do you just want a slower paced game, is that it? No movement abilities, more roomy maps, longer ttk, more inaccurate weapons, etc.? You need to explain your "reasons" in order to give me a better argument.

There is still improvements to be made to Halo. Such I think the vehicle balance needs to be revamped, whether thru pistol BTB starts or stronger/more defensive capabilities of vehicles.

Akai__

How is the player count of Halo 2 Anniversary compared to Halo 5, for example? That might tell you if there's a desire for classic Halo with the wider audience.

We have no numbers for both games.

Besides that, people (the majority) will always move to the newer games so it's a bad example anyways. MCC was several months broken (still is to some degree) and suffers from too many playlists to choose from, which makes search times absolutely crazy.

Which would be complete shit, so many people complain about major franchises being the same thing over again and the answer is to go backwards?

In any case WW1 isn't going back for them, the weapons were very different with hand held machine guns were basically non existent and planes were so new that people joined the air force just to see one.Oh and cavalry charges were still seen as good ideas. If Dice have any sense they would make this one feel unique.

jelly

Room for both if 343 actually do something other than mainline Halo games and to be fair Spartan abilities have been neutered mostly for a long time.

I wouldn't want to go back to Halo 3 as that feels absolutely horrific now but I think the 343 core but toned down in areas would be amazing for an ODST type game or larger scale in a more grounded place.

I have more of a problem with REQs, maps, bad story, universe, lack of any epic game types for that Battlefield, BTB feel that hasn't improved at all. Why are we still playing on dull maps with insert asset base large. REQs have done sod all but make Microsoft loads of money for less work were it matters, not skin jobs and mystery box crack vapour for gamers. There is no soul.

MCC can never be used as an example of people enjoying old versus new, it was broken and still is somewhat while not having the numbers. Who knows how well it would have done in multiplayer if it was perfect day one. People move onto new stuff but it would have been interesting to see how that first year was without issues.

Wereroku

Hard to tell since the mp for that game was hot garbage for months because 343i was to busy to bother with it.

Roots =/= Setting.

While this may encourage game franchises like Call of Duty or Medal of Honor (if revived) from pursing games set in the future, it won't reverse all gameplay evolutions and innovations made over the course of the franchise's life span. It's only coincidental that boots on ground are parallel with the roots of those franchises; Halo has always been set in the future and would not be prone to this trend. Keep in mind that this is also 343i's vision for Halo, and as a new developer they will want to make their own mark on the franchise, which they have successfully done with Halo 5's multiplayer.

link1201

I hope not. 343 took a great step forward with Halo 5s mp. I want them to refine that and work on a better campaign story (also bring back campaign scoring) with an expanded/much improved Spartan ops offering. The movement and gameplay in halo 5 are great.

Noobcraft

The Master Chief Collection exists to remind us of how far the franchise has come lol. Halo CE, and Halo 3 haven't aged well in terms of gameplay.

EloKa

I think there will be nothing "classic" in Battlefield 1, only a modern fps in an old environment, but I think will be really similar to all others Battlefield from 3.

This. I don't see how Battlefield 1 is a "classic battlefield" at all.

You basically have BF1942, BFVietnam, BF2 and BF2142. Then there was a cut and we got BF3, BF4 (BFH) and BF1. Somewhere in between is Bad Company.

JaggedSac

Halo 5 is fantastic and they need to stay with this. In fact, they should make Halo 5 as a game as a service and not release large 3 year releases and instead continue to pump out content for the fantastic base game they have created.

Plus, how the heck is the new battlefield back to being classic? The name 1?

Halo 5 plays better than the old games. It would truly be a step back to dump all the fine work they did. Master Chief Collection is what you're looking for.

There are many people who will try to drill into your head that Halo 5 is better than the classic games. Even if it has better balance, maps, etc. But, clearly the majority say otherwise so that says lengths about the design of the game, and how underappreciated it all is. Personally, if people don't like it then go back to square 1 and try again. Nothing wrong with Halo 5, but it wasn't the right direction. They could afford to go back to classic or maybe something new. I enjoyed it when I had it, but I really had to scrape around the corners for fun towards the end.

I believe a few people miss the point. I don't want every game to now hit world war something, but not copying gameplay mechanics is also a part of making a game feel more fresh. No sense in looking at tf, cod and Destiny and adding on parts from each. I'd rather look at objectives and hit detection, map designs and make a fresh game from that rather it's on future settings or world war type games.

A pirate or some other shooter would be interesting but if they just copy the wall jumpa, running and melee stabs that have no difference in overall feeling then it wouldn't feel that special and I might as well stick to cod or destiny. This is the major point for me in what made halo different too, had some borrowed ideas of course but a lot of things that were purely with in itself

It would be great to finally get a new America's army game that a try was a lot like the original and updated pc version. Not much like it and it's just more fun to me than cod.

spectator

I don't know... I play a lot of Destiny and every time I go back to Halo to play with my friends, all I can think about is how much I miss the sprint button.

Fotos

I've been saying this forever. I am 100% sure sales and the player base would increase maybe not to what Halo 3 had but close. I always come back to Counter Strike when talking about this. That series has stayed pretty much the same and is still insanely popular. No one says that CS should have sprint or increased movement. All those things are just fads and it's disappointing Halo has become a follower rather than the innovator it used to be.

Anyone interested in this should watch Favyn's videos on Youtube. He really cares about this issue and speaks very well imo.

pieface

Nah, Halo 5 is the most complete Halo since CE.

There's really no reason to change it at all. Changing Halo back to how it used to be wouldn't create a buzz within the CoD/BF crowd like changing BF did, it would just annoy modern Halo players.

Synth

I'd strongly consider it if I was at 343. What do they have to lose?

Seriously? An awful lot.

You've acknowledged that you don't really expect BF to be returning to its roots beyond superficial elements (which Halo hasn't ever really strayed from). 343i would likely stand to lose far more of the more casual FPS audience with a Halo that attempts to revert to the gameplay of the older games than they'd gain from classic players returning. It would depend heavily on them not preferring the FPS games they moved to, over what Halo was. If an ex-Halo player is playing Destiny of Call of Duty today, it's not reliably because Halo has changed (Halo changed notably between every game... CE plays nothing like 2). Many of these people would have probably selected Destiny or Call of Duty over Halo if these games had also been there at the dawn of Xbox Live.

I'd liken it to the new Unreal Tournament. You create a thread here asking people about their fondest FPS memories, and games like UT99, UT2004 and Quake III Arena will be very common answers. That doesn't translate to a healthy playerbase for stuff like UT4 or Quake Live today. The same could be said for something like Tomb Raider. Many would like to see the series return to a more pure platforming/puzzle focus, but it's unlikely that these people outnumber the people that wouldn't touch an old classic Tomb Raider style game today.

These sorts of projects are typically well suited to the indie/crowdfunding realm, as the more devoted fanbase will often become aware of the project and support it. But if you're talking about 343i themselves creating a full budget Halo game (at the expense of whatever standard entry would have hit that year), with a similar marketing push... then they'd actually have an incredible amount to lose.

Top Bottom