• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Forza Motorsport 6 Apex - GTX 970 VS R9 390

Caayn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Jgf6rtEg8

Game performs really well and both cards manage to hold 60fps with max settings and 8xMSAA at 2560*1440 when weather effects are disabled. The R9 390 can perform up to 10fps better than the GTX 970.

There's a bug however that causes the game to skip frames, this can happen after a few races or watching a replay. Restarting the game fixes the bug. The R9 390 seems to suffer more from to the bug than the GTX 970 does.

Wave a black/white flag if old.

Maxey

Incredible showing for Forza's first PC installment, and it being a beta only means it will improve even more.

OmegaDL50

I have an old HD7950 and the game runs brilliantly on near ultra settings.

I can just hardly imagine when the game goes out of beta and becomes a bit more full featured and I'll have GTX 1080 by then.

This'll be great.

scitek

Incredible showing for Forza's first PC installment, and it being a beta only means it will improve even more.

I feel like Microsoft will just start calling every game they launch on Windows 10 a "beta" to excuse shitty bugs that are found.

burgerdog

That's really odd, I set msaax2 and all other settings to max @1080p and the game skipped a ton of frames.

ssd
16gb ram
3570k @4.4
970 with a tiny OC.

Kezen

Banned
I find it very surprising the game performs so well on Nvidia, considering its history as a GCN focused engine. Genuine optimization work done by Turn10 here, what a stellar display of coding.

Bodes well for Horizon 3 on PC even if Turn10 won't handle it.

OmegaDL50

Well, then many companies already sold many beta games in the past, right?

The whole concept of Early Access on Steam is basically this very thing.

It's not like every single game on the Windows Store is in a bug ridden state anyways.

Forza runs solid with little issues if any in my experience, and Killer Instinct is so damn optimized it can practically run on a toaster level PC and still hit it's 60fps target.

El_Chino

I feel like Microsoft will just start calling every game they launch on Windows 10 a "beta" to excuse shitty bugs that are found.

giphy.gif

Anyways I'm happy to see a UWP game performing well.

Marlenus

I find it very surprising the game performs so well on Nvidia, considering its history as a GCN focused engine. Genuine optimization work done by Turn10 here, what a stellar display of coding.

Bodes well for Horizon 3 on PC even if Turn10 won't handle it.

Well it could have been worse but the AMD cards are still punching above their usual performance window relative to Maxwell cards.

At launch the 290x and the 970 were pretty close to each other but in this game the 290x is competing with the 980.

Kezen

Banned
Well it could have been worse but the AMD cards are still punching above their usual performance window relative to Maxwell cards.

At launch the 290x and the 970 were pretty close to each other but in this game the 290x is competing with the 980.

I always saw the 290x as competing with the 980. The 970 might have challenged it here and then but it was always the 290's rival.

Considering the bandwidth delta I was not expecting the 970 to hold up so well, it's truly a very well engineered GPU.

krang

I know that Apex is meant to be a bit of a UWA showcase for MS - having an internal dev team proving what's capable and where required recommending updates to the system. I just can't help but think that a track racer is not the best benchmark to represent all of gaming.

vg260

Doesn't it seem to need over 8GB RAM to run without memory issues, though? or are those memory issues related to video card RAM? Was running into that error on a lower spec machine, but didn't spend too much time troubleshooting.

eso76

That's really odd, I set msaax2 and all other settings to max @1080p and the game skipped a ton of frames.

ssd
16gb ram
3570k @4.4
970 with a tiny OC.

Weird.
everything maxed out, msaax8 I've only seen it skip a few frames in spa in the rain with 16 cars kicking up water as the race started.
And that one turn in Yas marina, for no apparent reason.

Granted I have 32GB ram and i7 5820k but the CPU was always sitting at 25/26% and while the game eats lots of ram, 16GB should be enough

UnrealEck

If it's free that's not a problem.

They need to get wheel support in. Even the Xbox branded G920 doesn't have support.

Rizific

yep, it played damn well on my 390. hats off to T10 for this positive showing for the future of forza on pc. they've got my money oncea full forza hits pc.

Mascot

Genuine optimization work done by Turn10 here, what a stellar display of coding.

Turn 10 have been performing amazingly impressive technical wizardry on Forza for over ten years now. It's the overall way the game is structured that increasingly disappoints me.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I have an old HD7950 and the game runs brilliantly on near ultra settings.

I can just hardly imagine when the game goes out of beta and becomes a bit more full featured and I'll have GTX 1080 by then.

This'll be great.

Don't expect too much. Minecraft got the still beta treatment, still has. It's just a label, doesn't mean there will be more content in the full game.

scitek

A grand total of one game deployed this way. Dat Unprecedented beta testing....

Every Windows 10 store game put out by Microsoft has had issues of some kind. My point is it wouldn't surprise me to see them start launching everything from now on as a "beta" just to avoid the scrutiny.

Gestault

Turn 10 have been performing amazingly impressive technical wizardry on Forza for over ten years now. It's the overall way the game is structured that increasingly disappoints me.

I enjoy the state of things, but I hope the next game starts off with a question that basically determines whether the career mode is more about amazing "Sunday drives" or league-like technical competition.

This game is absolutely a fantastic port I have the same specs (GTX 970/i7 4790k) and the game runs perfectly just please add Nvidia Shadowplay support MS and you will have my blessing

Luckydog

Every Windows 10 store game put out by Microsoft has had issues of some kind. My point is it wouldn't surprise me to see them start launching everything from now on as a "beta" just to avoid the scrutiny.

I thought there were very minor issues with Killer Instinct (yes I know the refresh rate issue). Overall the launches have been poor but this is clearly a REAL test prior to the next full version of Forza vs. the shitty launches that were Tomb Raider and Gears.

Jrs3000

I think the next Forza will be a grahpical detour since it will be on PC also so they can really push things beyond Xbox. Finally realtime TOD dynamic lighting for everything!

Mascot

I enjoy the state of things, but I hope the next game starts off with a question that basically determines whether the career mode is more about amazing "Sunday drives" or league-like technical competition.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if there's any kind of response to (what we've been told about) GTS and its emphasis on actual motorsport.

Top Bottom