• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix shares their physical versus digital sales breakdown per region

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Probably not super shocking results, but hey, actual numbers!

squaredigital2pkm0.png

Source: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/16q4slides.pdf

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Aisa :)
Surprisingly low DL numbers for Japan, given how fast Internet connection is here. Maybe it's because DL versions are so much more expensive than boxed copies.

I think it's really funny that they think NA/EU is going to slide back towards more physical as time goes on.

The relative unpopularity of digital in Japan is one of the big reasons why we haven't seriously pursued releasing our games there, despite seemingly like a no-brainer. It's just not very welcoming of indies when the strategy for indies here is digital first and maybe a small physical run later.

MacTag

Banned
I think it's really funny that they think NA/EU is going to slide back towards more physical as time goes on.

The relative unpopularity of digital in Japan is one of the big reasons why we haven't seriously pursued releasing our games there, despite seemingly like a no-brainer. It's just not very welcoming of indies when the strategy for indies here is digital first and maybe a small physical run later.
From what I understand the strongest digital console market is the Japanese 3DS eShop of all things. Indies seem to be doing surprisingly well on it.

My PS4 hard drive is already full and I'm kinda changing how I buy games because of that. Even if I do upgrade, it doesn't buy me that much time. Installs suuuck. :(

zsidane

62%! That's high! I was expecting the usual 30~35%
Edit:
It's 38%. Move one everyone, there's nothing to see here!

MacTag

Banned
We have digital estimates for PS4 and they're pretty high. Dark souls 3 was like 30%.
Not for disc/card game ratios but for actual digital first/only games. In pretty much every instance we've heard of western indies are beating targets on the Japanese 3DS eShop, greatly so in some cases like with Gunman Clive or Cube Creator 3D. Having a big 20m userbase and less direct competition likely helps quite a bit.

The big downside for indies though is Nintendo still mandates going through a local publisher in Japan. A small cottage industry of publishers has built up around this like Cosen, Rainy Frog, Pikii and so on.

Is there any reason for that? I don't think the Japanese are that high-strung about ownership, seeing as rentals haves lasted much longer than here. Broadband crap there or something?

Is there any reason for that? I don't think the Japanese are that high-strung about ownership, seeing as rentals haves lasted much longer than here. Broadband crap there or something?

From what I've heard, a big reason is that the Japanese video game market these days caters heavily to otaku, who are all about building fancy collections. It's a reason why special editions are much more frequent and tend to be more lavish than what you see in the West.

Top Bottom