• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let’s appreciate the monsters of DOOM (warning — open spoilers, LOTS of pics!)

Neiteio

So you may have heard DOOM is one of the best shooters ever — and it’s true! But what’s a shooter without lots of baddies to shoot? This thread is about appreciating the cool creature designs that make up DOOM’s bestiary — many of which have been with us since the original. It feels good to see so many of them back in action!

Like the Mario series with its Goombas and Koopas, the DOOM series has plenty of iconic cannon fodder, and it’s neat to see how they’ve changed over the years. To refresh your memory, here’s what they looked like back in the day:

monstersdoomifj0r.gif

The Pain Elementals, Arachnotrons and Archvile are missing in action in the new DOOM, but the others all return (along with a new monster or two). I’ve taken shots of some of them in the model viewer, trying to showcase their different angles, textures, ect. For example, in one shot you can see the Cacodemon’s long, snake-like tongue!

Note that certain demons like the Lost Souls, Hell Razer and Specter don’t have entries in the model viewer (although they do have lore files). Also note I’m not posting pics of the Possessed, but feel free to discuss them, as well!

So, who’s your favorite monster? Which designs do you like the best? Which ones do you find the most fun to fight? Which ones changed for the better over the years — or for the worse? Discuss the demons!

IMP

doom_201605190336009bbru.png

doom_201605190337341ja98.png

doom_201605190336388olbm.png

HELL KNIGHT

doom_201605190332383dl4c.png

doom_20160519033322vhxow.png

doom_20160519033453a6bsh.png

REVENANT

doom_20160520014505jhq6n.png

doom_20160520014619beohe.png

doom_20160520014420bfoov.png

MANCUBUS

doom_20160520015031jhqld.png

doom_20160520014927n1oco.png

doom_201605200147476mrz4.png

SUMMONER

doom_20160522050450sdrj2.png

doom_201605220502289uqiv.png

doom_201605220503418lr3a.png

doom_201605220503147drqu.png

CACODEMON

doom_20160520023825twqmb.png

doom_20160520023933o5qx1.png

doom_20160520024035h8obg.png

doom_20160520024147uhri7.png

doom_2016052002433776r28.png

doom_20160520024507xlpbw.png

BARON OF HELL

doom_2016052004263735qci.png

doom_2016052004273351pfo.png

doom_20160520042847pwqmy.png

doom_20160520042931dgowp.png

PINKY

doom_201605210319471gr4t.png

doom_201605210328119gqsg.png

doom_20160521032656i0qaa.png

doom_2016052103220280r7c.png

CYBER MANCUBUS

doom_20160522032854pprv4.png

doom_2016052203280899p7t.png

doom_20160522033141irp71.png

doom_20160522033010vmpk0.png

CYBERDEMON

doom_201605220058512eqd8.png

doom_20160522005728tiomx.png

doom_201605220102165co7r.png

doom_20160522010023dppgz.png

HELL GUARD

doom_201605220324356qrkt.png

doom_20160522032324qirnv.png

doom_20160522032543hypo4.png

doom_20160522032623juohr.png

SPIDER MASTERMIND

doom_20160522071451etrym.png

doom_20160522071605iqq70.png

doom_201605220717042wo9f.png

doom_201605220717379uqf9.png

Also, making a non-boss cameo appearance…

THE ICON OF SIN

doom_20160522015949rsou5.png

doom_20160522020302happq.png

CryptiK

Yep they are amazing. And when those first screenshots hit and the monsters were really dull in the colour department, they really ended up listening to the community.

pixelpatch

I think DOOM has received a lot of criticism. It's a shame but I really think people were clinging onto the past and had the love for previous game.

Neiteio

I've only heard that from you, but that's okay :D
Haven't been reading much GAF, eh? It's been well-received. :)

Why does the Hellknight look almost exactly as it does in Doom 3?

latest
It might've been to better differentiate the Hell Knight from the Baron of Hell. The black body and white skull also make the Hell Knight an easy read on the battlefield. I usually see their white skulls first when they come bounding up to me!

I think DOOM has received a lot of criticism. It's a shame but I really think people were clinging onto the past and had the love for previous game.
Are you referring to DOOM 3, a.k.a. the odd one out? The new DOOM has a lot in common with the original games, including many of the designs.

Very awesome, but there's something extremely non-threatening about the overall demon aesthetic. The eyes, the proportions... It's like they're almost a little bit "chibi" in design.

Intentional, I'm sure, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. Baron of Hell legit looks adorable.

jambo

latest

In the original game it was just a palette swap of the Baron of Hell, so for Doom 3 they redesigned it and really nailed it. May as well just make an even more detailed version if you've already nailed it 12 years ago.

Plasma

Banned
I liked all the new redesigns in the new Doom except for the imp which just looks too skinny and not that imposing.

Neiteio

I liked all the new redesigns in the new Doom except for the imp which just looks too skinny and not that imposing.
The imp is actually one of my favorites. I like the bright orange and purple color scheme, and the lanky limbs that accentuate its movement as it clambers up walls and leaps sideways slinging fireballs. I also like the fang-filled mouth, the ribs on its back, and the layers to its face. :)

Very awesome, but there's something extremely non-threatening about the overall demon aesthetic. The eyes, the proportions... It's like they're almost a little bit "chibi" in design.

Intentional, I'm sure, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. Baron of Hell legit looks adorable.
Ha, they are oddly adorable. They're so fun to fight that they become oddly endearing, despite the fact they're trying to kill me.

I never get the impression the game is trying to scare us, though. After all, the in-game lore makes it explicitly clear that the demons are afraid of you.

They're all brilliant, including the
Spider-Mastermind
, except for the Cyberdemon. Guy looks like a Darksiders monster.

Exhibit A, 1993 Cyberdemon

latest

Look how fearsome, how intimidating. Terrifying, towering above you.

Exhibit B:

doom-cyberdemon-screenshot_1920.0.jpg

Hurr durr guys I can invade Mars lol. The thing has moose horns.

Why they didn't take their excellent Baron design and just stick cybernetics on it, I have no idea.

Neiteio

I like the new Cyberdemon (especially the way he fights — one of the best FPS boss battles since Metroid Prime), but I agree his older design was more intimidating.

One touch I like in the original are the cables connecting his upper and lower torsos. They still have coils in the new design, but they're running sideways and don't appear cybernetic like the original.

I like the new Cyberdemon (especially the way he fights — one of the best FPS boss battles since Metroid Prime), but I agree his older design was more intimidating.

One touch I like in the original are the cables connecting his upper and lower torsos. They still have coils in the new design, but they're running sideways and don't necessarily appear cybernetic like the original.

The boss fight was excellent, and it's a shame he only made the one appearance, but whilst they nailed the feel of the Spider Mastermind, the Cyberdemon just isn't intimidating. Remember Tower of Babel on Doom 1? Hearing those gut-wrenching piston powered footsteps for the first time?

Like, what the hell is that?!

biteren

in 7th grade, access to Doom was difficult for me to obtain (because i diddnt know where to get it.) so i carried around printed out sprites of the weapons and monsters of Doom and looked at them at lunch or in the library

biteren

Exhibit B:

Why they didn't take their excellent Baron design and just stick cybernetics on it, I have no idea.
to be honest, the cyberdemon design here i didnt like a whole lot, looks a bit out of place like somone at blizzard desinged it to be in Diablo

Yeah, I kinda wish theyd done to the imp what they did to the Hell knight. Take the awesome Doom 3 model and build on it. The Spider eyes of the D3 imp was amazing.
But by and large the new monsters look great. The Cacodemon almost looks kinda cute with his little gimpy arms lol

Neiteio

The Summoner reminds me of the Angel of Death from Hellboy II, but with an insect motif — unsettling, but darkly beautiful:

attachment23kib.jpg

in 7th grade, access to Doom was difficult for me (because i diddnt know where to get it. so i carried around printed out sprites of the weapons and monsters of Doom and looked at them at lunch or in the library
That's the kinda thing I'd do in middle school. Though not specifically for doom.

54-46!

I think most of the demons look really great, just mean looking. Unfortunately the Possessed, Hell Razer and Guard are just kind of bland.

I also wish enemies would stand out a bit more from the environment, they are kind of hard to spot some times.

Neiteio

Fighting Imps is just awesome.
Yeah, Imps are probably my favorite low-level enemy in a FPS. They're just fun, from start to finish. And whoever animated them should receive a medal. I love the way they dive sideways to sling a fireball, or charge one up DBZ-style. Or how they cling to walls like Space Pirates in Metroid, or scramble up and over obstacles to run away from you when you have the Berserk power-up.

Come to think of it, the animations are top-notch across the board. The enemies have instantly recognizable silhouettes, and they all telegraph their moves well. Along with the visible nature of their projectiles, you're able to predict them and dodge them, which makes for some riveting battles.

pa22word

Spider-Mastermind

latest

Exhibit B:

I agree, and think it's a strangely recurrent problem with the game's art design.

It feels like they had multiple designers working on the game, and some of them had a great deal of restraint while one or two of them just couldn't help themselves and just could not stop drawing. Cyberdemon is the worst of them. Just look at the horns. My god, those horns. Some art student somewhere could write a dissertation on those fucking horns.

Also @ OP: Summoner is the archvile. They changed the name and design--I'd assume for gameplay reasons to differentiate it from other enemies--but it's the same creature in both function and play.

Neiteio

I agree, and think it's a strangely recurrent problem with the game's art design.

It feels like they had multiple designers working on the game, and some of them had a great deal of restraint while one or two of them just couldn't help themselves and just could not stop drawing. Cyberdemon is the worst of them. Just look at the horns. My god, those horns. Some art student somewhere could write a dissertation on those fucking horns.
What's wrong with the horns? They have a unique shape to them that sets them apart. I mean, yeah, they're asymmetrical, but then so is his entire concept and design. He was pieced together from shattered remains by human scientists, after all. :)

Also @ OP: Summoner is the archvile. They changed the name and design--I'd assume for gameplay reasons to differentiate it from other enemies--but it's the same creature in both function and play.
Yeah, functionally the Summoner = Archville, but they're technically different creatures, as best as I can tell.

pa22word

What's wrong with the horns? They have a unique shape to them that sets them apart. I mean, yeah, they're asymmetrical, but then so is his entire concept and design. He was pieced together from shattered remains by human scientists, after all. :)

Just like the other poster said, it reminds me so much of darksiders. Just overdesigned for the sake of it, out of nothing more than a lack of restraint. I mean seriously...fucking /moose horns/? Asymmetrical moose horns, at that...*gags*

Especially compared to the old design. At least his mob version has the classic clink sound when he moves. I thought that was an awesome touch in an otherwise mediocre game in terms of sound design.

Yeah, functionally the Summoner = Archville, but they're technically different creatures, as best as I can tell.

I don't mean to sound crass--really I don't, this is a genuine question--but have you played classic doom before? In the older Dooms, the archviles have the same teliporting movements, and the summoner has the same attack animation featured in that picture of the archvile in the OP.

mokeyjoe

Yeah, the fact that corpses don't stay around makes the Archvile obsolete. Clearly he's been replaced by the summoner. I'm hoping any DLC will reintroduce the Pain Elemental and Arachnotron.

Neiteio

Just like the other poster said, it reminds me so much of darksiders. Just overdesigned for the sake of it, out of nothing more than a lack of restraint. I mean seriously...fucking /moose horns/? Asymmetrical moose horns, at that...*gags*

Especially compared to the old design. At least his mob version has the classic clink sound when he moves. I thought that was an awesome touch in an otherwise mediocre game in terms of sound design.
I think the moose horns are a nice touch since they seem to denote a higher rank.

pa22word said:
I don't mean to sound crass--really I don't, this is a genuine question--but have you played classic doom before? In the older Dooms, the archviles have the same teliporting movements, and the summoner has the same attack animation featured in that picture of the archvile in the OP.
Yes, I know they behave the same, that's why I said "functionally." But the fact of the matter is they have different names, while all of the other updated demons retain their original names. That's why I think Summoner is supposed to be a separate creature, even if his in-game functionality is more or less the same.

Yeah, the fact that corpses don't stay around makes the Archvile obsolete. Clearly he's been replaced by the summoner. I'm hoping any DLC will reintroduce the Pain Elemental and Arachnotron.
If they bring back the Pain Elemental, I want them to go all-out with the eyeball. Make it bulbous!

pa22word

Yeah, the fact that corpses don't stay around makes the Archvile obsolete. Clearly he's been replaced by the summoner. I'm hoping any Dec will reintroduce the Pain Elemental and Arachnotron.

Mini spidermastermind will show up either in the DLC or sequel. Obviously there's going to be fallout from the death of mama spider >:D

Personally, FUCK THE PAIN ELEMENTAL!!! >.> seriously that bastard caused me so much rage when I was young I hope to god that bastard is just gone forever. Speaking of which...

The chaingunner is also missing from Doom 4, and I think everyone can say "thank fucking christ" to that :D

Also OP, shotgun guy is *basically* back as well. They just gave him a goddamned shield, for reasons that have caused me and I assume many others much pain and suffering on Nightmare mode in D4 ;-;

KahooTs

Agree with those shouting down the cyber demon, it's the hunched back that kills it for me. It should stand tall and proud and strut towards you.

Neiteio

Yep they are amazing. And when those first screenshots hit and the monsters were really dull in the colour department, they really ended up listening to the community.
I'm so happy they went back to the original colors for the final release. I love Cacodemon's vibrant red look.

They even made some characters more colorful than the originals, like the imps.

Seeing this thread just really makes me happy. I'm SO GLAD there's a new *good* DOOM.

And I'm glad a lot of people seem to be agreeing with me on the designs.

Imp and Cyberdemon are the worst IMO, everything else I think is pretty good from their DOOM/DOOM2 counterpart.

I really can't say how happy I am that DOOM is back and good again.

The ONE wish I had was that there'd be constant awesome music playing while you play levels, but that's the only disappointment I got. And the lack of music remixes/etc. Seriously, how can you not have Sign of Evil sound anything like Sign of Evil?!

T.O.P

Banned
Summoner and Cacodemon are my favourite, it's incredible how good they look and move in general tho, love the enemy design

And the entrance of the Cyberdemon is fuckin perfect

giphy.gif

Moongazer

latest
Because the Hell Knight design from Doom 3 was really good? I'm glad they choose to keep it the same appearance wise however they really improved them animation wise now. I love that they are much more aggressive and more of a melee focused enemy. It's how I would imagine that thing moving whereas the Doom 3 counterpart is sort of slow and just shoot fireballs at you from afar.

Man fuck hell knights, pinkys, and 💩Demons (yes cacademons) in that rich get richer challenge...

I like the revenants and the spider mastermind

Everything else is all right

Edit: yeah cyber demon is terrible compared to the older one... Didn't they have s different design in the reveal?

Spider-Mastermind

latest

Exhibit B:

I agree also that Doom 3's cyberdemon is way more of a Tim Curry in Legend kinda beast, but I do like the design of the current cyberdemon and it's data log stuff. It makes for a bad ass beast and fits the game, just not necessarily a great cyberdemon.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
They're gorgeous in a demonic, twisted way.

rashbeep

Banned
Cyberdemon looks like something out of Gears of War. I have no idea what they were thinking there. Especially when the other designs are more or less a callback to the original games. I was hoping for something more like this

Top Bottom