• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox Scorpio will be a ~6 TFLOP system (v PS4K's 4.14), unveil soon, Fall 17

Polygon said:
Microsoft has two new Xbox consoles on the horizon, according to reports on Kotaku and corroborated with Polygon's own sources. Those sources also told Polygon that one of those new consoles will be over four times more powerful than the current Xbox One and that the announcement at E3 was triggered by, among other things, a faster than expected timeline for Sony’s own upgraded PlayStation 4. The other console, a slimmed down version of the current hardware, will also be getting a redesigned controller.

The other console, codenamed Scorpio, is unlikely to be released until late 2017 according to Polygon's sources. It will likely be announced in the next month, though plans are somewhat in flux. Like the all-but-confirmed PS4 "Neo," Scorpio represents an evolution of console generations, one that straddles the line somewhat between an entirely new installment of the Xbox platform and a continuation of the existing Xbox One.

Power is a primary concern for Microsoft with Scorpio. The PS4 has remained a constant leader over the Xbox One in this respect, with games on the platform running at higher resolution and a higher framerate on the PS4 than their Xbox One counterparts. Microsoft is determined to end this narrative.

The Xbox One is believed to operate a peak target of 1.32 teraflops, compared to the 1.84 teraflop performance numbers attributed to the PS4. Meanwhile, per documents secured by Giant Bomb's Austin Walker — and corroborated by our sources — the PlayStation 4 "Neo," at approximately 2.25 times more powerful than the PS4, is likely to have a peak performance number of 4.14 teraflops.

The current performance target for Microsoft’s Scorpio is approximately 6 teraflops.

A price for Scorpio is also still under active discussion, and is unlikely to be revealed until next year.

More clear, however, is that "universal compatibility" is a core principle for the system. Scorpio is currently being designed to support all Xbox One software.
Way more detail in the Polygon article. Floodgates have opened I guess.

microsoft should have bought oculus

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
that one of those new consoles will be over four times more powerful than the current Xbox One

That would be a beast. I'd buy one.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lots more at the link.

Polygon said:
Microsoft has two new Xbox consoles on the horizon, according to reports on Kotaku and corroborated with Polygon's own sources. Those sources also told Polygon that one of those new consoles will be over four times more powerful than the current Xbox One and that the announcement at E3 was triggered by, among other things, a faster than expected timeline for Sony’s own upgraded PlayStation 4. The other console, a slimmed down version of the current hardware, will also be getting a redesigned controller.

The other console, codenamed Scorpio, is unlikely to be released until late 2017 according to Polygon's sources. It will likely be announced in the next month, though plans are somewhat in flux. Like the all-but-confirmed PS4 "Neo," Scorpio represents an evolution of console generations, one that straddles the line somewhat between an entirely new installment of the Xbox platform and a continuation of the existing Xbox One.

Power is a primary concern for Microsoft with Scorpio. The PS4 has remained a constant leader over the Xbox One in this respect, with games on the platform running at higher resolution and a higher framerate on the PS4 than their Xbox One counterparts. Microsoft is determined to end this narrative.

The Xbox One is believed to operate a peak target of 1.32 teraflops, compared to the 1.84 teraflop performance numbers attributed to the PS4. Meanwhile, per documents secured by Giant Bomb's Austin Walker — and corroborated by our sources — the PlayStation 4 "Neo," at approximately 2.25 times more powerful than the PS4, is likely to have a peak performance number of 4.14 teraflops.

The current performance target for Microsoft’s Scorpio is approximately 6 teraflops.

A price for Scorpio is also still under active discussion, and is unlikely to be revealed until next year.

More clear, however, is that "universal compatibility" is a core principle for the system. Scorpio is currently being designed to support all Xbox One software.
Source: http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/25/11774294/xbox-one-slim-one-two-scorpio

Kyoufu

Would they really be ending the PS4 > Xbone narrative if the base models continue to drive the console market?

So August for the Slim? Eh, didn't want to have to wait that much longer. If the price is right I guess I'll hold off unless they decide to slash the price of the current model right away.

Well seriously this must be a new console then. Your talking double the power here of xbone how are the new games going to run? Either lowest common denominator or this is new gen

Yogg

So we're PC now.

Would they really be ending the PS4 > Xbone narrative if the base models continue to drive the console market?

I think the PS4 has such an edge overseas (Europe) because of all the TV/sports center stuff that doesn't translate at all outside the US. And then you have the exclusives. The console performance is probably not relevant to the PS4 overwhelming success.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
All I know is that if what I like > what I don't like then power is important and if what I don't like is > what I like then power is unimportant.

That actually makes a lot of sense. I hope it's true.

The floodgates of the hardware rumors really opened today, huh?

I'm doubtful, my gut tells me the two systems will be fairly comparable. It seems like everyone wants to think the XB1+ will be stronger than the PS4K simply to pull a 180 on the power gap this gen.

As long as both of the systems are powerful and comparable, I'll be happy.

Boke1879

Hmm. Neo is rumored to release by Q1 2017. If this launches late 2017, it'll give Neo a huge headstart.

Neo is rumored to launch this year actually. Possibly around November. It seemed MS was caught off guard by this.

Also I doubt it'll be 6 Teraflops, but we'll see.

dmr87

Show me the games and I might buy one. Makes sense that it would be more powerful if it comes out in 1,5 years.

The interesting thing to note is that if Microsoft does in fact release annual iterative improvements while Sony does not, it can simply be presumed that MS will likely release a product with higher specs once that first benchmark of the Scorpio is set. Even if the '17 model didn't surpass the Neo, the '18, '19, and '20 all increasingly will.

Floex

So basically the next Xbox then given that is 4 years since launch.

Dump the one brand too, far too toxic.

Top Bottom