• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macronix, Megachips & Nintendo enter manufacturing agreement for game machine LSI

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Today, on May 26, 2016, MegaChips Corporation sent out a notice regarding its 26th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders on June 23, 2016 (Thursday) 10 am (JST). The notice includes information on principal businesses, directors and more. It also includes the status of an important business alliance between Macronix, Megachips and Nintendo:

③ 重要な業務提携の状況
業務提携の主要な相手先は、任天堂株式会社とMacronix International Co.,Ltd.
であり、当該2社とゲーム機用LSIの供給に関する製造委託契約を締結しており
ます。
Source: http://www.megachips.co.jp/pdf/meeting/syousyu26_2016.pdf (page 22)

Engrish translation:

③ Status of important business alliance
The main parties of the business alliance, Nintendo Co., Ltd. and Macronix International Co., Ltd., and the Company have entered into a manufacturing agreement for the supply of LSI for the two companies and the game machine.
Now, this agreement is nothing new really as these companies have collaborated for more than a decade on LSI. However, the note about this alliance is as of March 31, 2016 which leads me to believe that the agreement has been continued and could very well be referencing new products (NX).

We know from before that Macronix will provide memory products for NX. And Megachips has supplied Video Encode/Decode LSI for Wii U for example: http://www.megachips.co.jp/english/pdf/121203_e.pdf

A bit better translation I believe is needed for this, but still I think it was noteworthy. Perhaps not that much to deduct from this news, but another piece of the puzzle hopefully.

The initial news by Digitimes on NX supply chain did not mention Megachips: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20151130PD203.html

megachipshqsd5.png
Just a note about Megachips and Wii U, 3DS.

I don't know if you need to deduce much, or if it's really a puzzle. Nintendo is putting out a new system and they are having people manufacture components of that system. I mean I guess it's technically "news", but like you say, there is not a lot to gleam from this I don't think.

Eradicate

It's a shame this wasn't discussed more as it's fascinating information in regards to who is making what for Nintendo and their upcoming system as it definitely seems related to the new system.

Just to update this thread a touch with some additional information and to hopefully spur more conversation, Megachips released their year end report (found here: http://www.megachips.co.jp/pdf/1603yh-4q.pdf) which includes some additional wordage either discussing existing or future hardware production.

(1) LSI製品の開発
当社では、画像・音声・通信分野またはIoT分野などの研究開発に経営資源を集中し、ゲーム機等のエンターテインメント機器をはじめ、デジタルカメラ、液晶パネ ル、モバイル・ウェアラブル機器等の分野向けに、これらの機器が抱える課題を解決するシステムLSI、システムLSI向けIP、並びに高速・高精度のミックスド ・シグナル回路技術を核にした、顧客仕様に基づくカスタム製品及び自社標準品などのLSI製品の開発を実施しております。 当連結会計年度のLSI製品及び基礎技術開発の主要な研究開発成果は、以下のとおりであります。

① 任天堂(株)製携帯型ゲーム機向けゲームソフトウェア格納用LSI
任天堂(株)製携帯型ゲーム機向けの、大容量、低消費電力を実現したゲームソフトウェア格納用LSI(カスタムメモリー)を、引き続き多品種開発い たしました。

Google translated:

(1) the development of LSI products
The company, to concentrate its management resources on research and development, such as images, audio and communications field or IoT field, including the entertainment equipment of the game machine and the like, a digital camera, a liquid crystal panel and consumer areas such as mobile wearable device, of these equipment has a system LSI to solve the problems faced, the system LSI for IP, as well as mixed-signal circuit technology of high-speed, high-precision in the nucleus, carrying out the development of LSI products, such as custom product and its standard products based on customer specifications Doing. Major research and development achievements of LSI products and basic technology development for the current fiscal year, are as follows.

① Nintendo Co., Ltd., a portable game machine for game software for storing LSI
Nintendo Co., Ltd., a portable game machine for, large capacity, the LSI for game software storage that achieves low power consumption (custom memory), we continued we developed a multi-breed.

Also:

4 【事業等のリスク】
有価証券報告書に記載した事業の状況、経理の状況等に関する事項のうち、投資者の判断に重要な影響を及ぼす可能性のある事項には、以下のようなもの があります。 なお、文中の将来に関する事項は、有価証券報告書提出日(平成28年6月23日)現在において当社が判断したものであります。

(1) 特定の取引先への依存について
① 販売先について
当社グループは、ゲームカセットに使用されるゲームソフトウェア格納用LSI(カスタムメモリー)、ゲーム機本体・周辺機器向けのLSI、デジタルカメラ向け画 像処理用LSI、液晶パネル向けLSI並びにセキュリティ・モニタリング用途のデジタル映像監視システムを主に販売しておりますが、ゲームソフトウェア格納用L SI(カスタムメモリー)を主に供給している、任天堂株式会社への売上高の割合が高くなっております。 したがって、これらのLSI製品が使用されるゲーム機器やゲームソフトウェアの販売動向、また、同社におけるLSIの採用状況などにより、当社グループの業績が 変動する可能性があります。 なお、任天堂株式会社への売上高については、「第2 事業の状況 2 生産、受注及び販売の状況」に記載のとおりであります。

② 生産委託先(仕入先)について
当社グループは、創業より経営資源を研究開発に集中し、製品の生産を外部に委託するファブレスメーカーという事業形態を採用することにより、特徴のある技術力を 核に顧客のニーズに最適な製品を開発し、多くの資金が必要となる生産設備投資に制約されることなく事業を拡大してまいりました。生産は国内外のファウンドリーま たは委託先メーカーに分散して委託しておりますが、主力取引先である任天堂株式会社へ供給するゲームソフトウェア格納用LSI(カスタムメモリー)及びゲーム機 本体・周辺機器向けのLSIなどの製品を生産委託している、Macronix International Co.,Ltd.(以下「マクロニクス社」)からの仕入高の割合が高くなっております。 したがって、何らかの理由によりマクロニクス社で生産ができなくなった場合、当社グループの業績に影響を及ぼす可能性があります。 なお、当社は任天堂株式会社及びマクロニクス社との間で製造委託契約を締結しており、両社と良好かつ緊密な関係を構築し、安定的な製品の供給に努め ております。

Again with the Google:

4 [Risk Factors]
Situation of the business described in the securities report, one of the matters relating to the status, etc. of accounting, to matters that have a significant impact on the decisions of investors, there is something like the following. In addition, matters related to the context of the future, securities report filing date (2016 June 23, 2009) it is proposed that the Company has determined in the current.

(1) Dependence on specific suppliers
For ① sale destination
The Group, game software for storing LSI (custom memory) that is used in the game cassette, for the game machine peripherals LSI, a digital camera for image processing LSI, a liquid crystal panel for LSI as well as security and monitoring applications digital video we are mainly selling the monitoring system, but the game software is mainly supply the LSI (custom memory) for storage, the percentage of sales to Nintendo Co., Ltd. has become high. Therefore, sales trends of game machines and game software in which these LSI product is used also, due to adoption of LSI in the company, the operating results of the Group might vary. It is to be noted that the sales of the Nintendo Co., Ltd., are as described in the "Status 2 production of the second business, Orders and Sales".

② production contractors for (vendor)
The Group, focused on the research and development of management resources from its inception, by adopting the business form of fabless manufacturers to outsource the production of the product to the outside, the best product the technical capabilities with features to the needs of customers in the nucleus to develop, we have to expand the business without being restricted to the production equipment investment that many of the funds are required. Production, we have commissioned and distributed to domestic and foreign foundry or subcontractor manufacturer, but supplies to a major customer Nintendo game software store for the LSI (custom memory) and for the game machine body and Peripheral Equipment It has produced commissioned products such as LSI, Macronix International Co., Ltd. (hereinafter referred to as "Macronix") ratio of the amount of goods purchased from the will has become high. Therefore, If you can no longer produced in Macronix by the company for any reason, it may have an impact on the performance of the Group. In addition, the Company has entered into a contract manufacturing agreement with Nintendo and Macronix, to build the two companies and a good and close relationship, and we strive to supply of a stable product.

Again, like with Rösti's original information, a better translation of everything is necessary for these points as it could be for current or future hardware. (Really hard to tell with computer translations!) But, it is still very interesting, especially in light of discussions around whether NX will use cartridges, if it will be a home console or portable, etc.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's a shame this wasn't discussed more as it's fascinating information in regards to who is making what for Nintendo and their upcoming system as it definitely seems related to the new system.

Just to update this thread a touch with some additional information and to hopefully spur more conversation, Megachips released their year end report (found here: http://www.megachips.co.jp/pdf/1603yh-4q.pdf) which includes some additional wordage either discussing existing or future hardware production.

Google translated:

Also:

Again with the Google:

Again, like with Rösti's original information, a better translation of everything is necessary for these points as it could be for current or future hardware. (Really hard to tell with computer translations!) But, it is still very interesting, especially in light of discussions around whether NX will use cartridges, if it will be a home console or portable, etc.

Uhm. We really need someone able to translate this. Whose signal should I light to have a translation :p

Eradicate

Uhm. We really need someone able to translate this. Whose signal should I light to have a translation :p

I don't know, but I'm going to keep finding reasons to bump this thread until everything is translated, because it's really, really interesting and could certainly point to things!

Speaking of which, though, apparently Megachips released a statement regarding Macronix's falling stock price. They said though they have to sell some stock, they are maintaining their strong partnership to be able to work on a game machine. (Something to that effect. Again, TranslatorGAF help!)

Eradicate

What if it's for NES Mini
not sure if I'm serious

That's what i was thinking as well, but I didn't read anything in the OP so I'm probably wrong.

Haha, that's true, but there was a link in the OP (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1176644) about how they are for sure working on NX. Again, it's hard not knowing the language, but from what I can tell, these companies have a continual agreement in place that gets regularly updated unless something happens. These annual ones are basically to ensure continued stock and such of products. This, though, is a different agreement for something specific and most likely new. Again, just from what I can deduce!

Not that it isn't the Mini NES after all, since it is new. But, there's some assumption that is just 2DS/3DS parts with the games burned into it that doesn't seem to warrant a whole new agreement and designs. It's just more a repurposing of their current orders.

(Toooootally guessing!)

Eradicate

Check this out.

http://www.megachips.co.jp/english/pdf/160715_e.pdf

Did they have this major loss because they all expected the NX to launch this year?

Hey, that's the one thing I mentioned but in English, haha! I get so used to looking at these sites and using a translator that I didn't think they might have an English site, haha! Great find!

It very well could have, but I'm not sure! Macronix was having it a little rougher around the holidays; I'm not sure why. Maybe less hardware (that they supply too; could partly be from lower Nintendo sales along with other things!) being sold? I do remember this happening around December though! They also supply memory to a few different industries, such as automotive, but they weren't making any progress with that. They just recently signed a deal with Siemens which is a big "in" into this market for them, but that literally just happened last week I think!

But, Macronix's stock is fairly tied to Nintendo's. It has been rising along with Nintendo's all because of Pokemon GO, which it literally has nothing to do with. But, they are very much entwined at a macro level for big investors!

Top Bottom