• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developer: We’re working on an Xbox One VR game for 2017 (via Ars)

Ars can confirm that at least one major developer is currently planning to release a new virtual reality game on the Xbox One in 2017 and plans to show that game at E3. The news lends credence to multiple recent reports suggesting Microsoft is planning a more powerful, VR-compatible Xbox One for 2017.

More fuel on the fire here at ARS

And if you missed them:

Polygon: Xbox Scorpio will be a ~6 TFLOP system (v PS4K's 4.14), unveil soon, Fall 17

Kotaku: XB1 Slim 2016, More Powerful XB1 Scorpio/VR 2017, iterative boxes from now on

JaggedSac

Guys, that dev did not specifically mention the Xbox as getting the vr version. Seems like Ars is making some assumptions.

SOR5

Would like to focus attention on the 'well-known European studio is planning "a new VR game" set in the universe of an established, long-running franchise.' bit

This is for PC and PS4 as well, so its not just a Microsoft IP

The game is also being planned for release on the PC and PS4, and while it seems likely the E3 demonstration will be on one of those platforms, the PR representative was clear that an Xbox One version was also being planned. The game's working title contains the word "VR," strongly suggesting this isn't merely a VR-compatible game that happens to have a more traditional Xbox One version.

sorry but this does not sound like a confirmation at all

Kayant

So they are really going to show this early and leave 6m+ before launch. Seems like a bad idea.
Damn. Do I cancel my PSVR now? Rift would work with Xbox and PC.
E3 is a couple of weeks so far it seems they want to talk about it at E3 so you have time to see what happens and decide after E3.

gamz

Would like to focus attention on the 'well-known European studio is planning "a new VR game" set in the universe of an established, long-running franchise.' bit

This is for PC and PS4 as well, so its not just a Microsoft IP

The game isn't the point. The point is VR and the new Xbox.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
good luck if all those games run like quantum break

The new xbox (scorpion) will need to be damn powerful to run a game like QB in VR.

And at least the QB launch disaster was a exception (probably a rushed port), even for UWP games.

SOR5

Guys, that dev did not specifically mention the Xbox as getting the vr version. Seems like Ars is making some assumptions.

Yeah it is an assumption

It's an assumption with alot of logic, but still its just not concrete proof when I think about it.

That anonymous developer needs to state that there is a VR version coming for Xbox One, not that its name contains VR and it will be getting an Xbox One edition

But then again, how do you convert a game built for VR for something thats not built for VR? Wouldnt that need a serious revamp?

The game isn't the point. The point is VR and the new Xbox.

Hey the game can be the point too :(

Kaako

Felium Defensor
At this E3, MS will basically demo a bunch of stuff(VR games included) on a monster rig they'll claim is a Scorpio "dev kit."
The usuals will gobble that shit right up.

Isn't all xbox one games (at least first party) supposed to be launching on pc too for now on?

So if you have a pc, you'll probably play it too.

Nah, I prefer console. I have a PC for the few cases where I wanna play on PC. Thing about VR is that there is tons of experimental stuff on PC that I am interested in as well.

00ich

Damn. Do I cancel my PSVR now? Rift would work with Xbox and PC.

Even if VR comes with Xbox one-two and uses oculus as their VR headset there's still no guarantee that it will be Oculus CV1.
18 month is a long time and developers routinely develop on kinda similar hardware to what is later released.

Top Bottom