• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir Review Thread

Opencritic - 88

Metacritic - 88

The Outerhaven - 5/5

To be perfectly honest, it feels good to get reacquainted with an old friend. The original Odin Sphere was one of my favorite RPG's on the PlayStation 2 and I'm happy to see that not only did the game survive the test of time but still offers just enough challenge and fun for even the most jaded gamer. On a presentation level, the game does so many things right, I wasn't really able to find any major flaw and my entire game-play session was a blur as I forgot what time it was even I started playing. Unlike its previous showing on the PlayStation 2, this time around there is zero compromise with getting those lovely looking graphics to run in all their glory, thanks to the power of the current generation of consoles. It's just that hard not to recommend Odin Sphere Leifthrasir to anyone, from the hardest of hardcore RPG gamers to someone who is looking to play their first RPG. Hands down one of the best RPG's available for the PlayStation 4, so be sure to eat this up when the game is released.

Saving Content - 5/5

Odin Sphere is a long game, filled with multiple characters to play as, an interesting story with characters becoming enemies, friends, and more. Secrets to unearth for those who are willing to pay attention and with more to the end then some players might even realize. Odin Sphere was a game that should have been played by as many people as possible. I had concerns if the new version would feel dated today, but everything from the gameplay, the visuals, and all the new enhancements, really do just that, make a great game even better. The PS4 and Vita versions both play wonderfully and look amazing for the systems they are on and with cross save, I was able to jump back and forth easily between the two. I may have noticed some slowdown at times when the action just gets super crazy, but it never was a detriment for me at all. I have absolutely zero issues with Odin Sphere Leifthrasir other than knowing how to pronounce its subtitle. An old school, beautiful, classic RPG brawler reborn even better. It’s doesn’t get much better than this for the genre!

COGconnected - 97/100

Because of all of the love and effort put into this project, even though it carries the price tag of a full new release game, it’s totally worth it. The main story will easily take most players a good 40-60 hours, and with multiple difficulties, character options, and score rankings, there’s plenty of reason to keep playing once it’s been beat. Odin Sphere is one of those games I want to go back to and play again every few years or so. There’s also a Storybook Edition which only costs an extra $20, and comes with a t-shirt, hardcover art book, art print, metal slipcase, and handsome outer box to house it all. If you’re a fan of Super Nintendo beat-em-ups, RPGs, platformers, 2D aesthetics, or anime, do yourself a favor and pick Odin Sphere Leifthrasir up. It’s a serious game of the year contender, and undisputed grand slam champion of HD remakes.

Arcade Sushi - 9.5/10

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir is no ordinary remake. It simplifies what needed to be simplified, expands what needed to be expanded, and runs in the smoothest of fashion without any hiccup whatsoever. It plays in such a fun way that going into the Classic Mode included with the game feels almost annoying after you’ve been playing Refined Mode awhile. To Classic Mode’s praise, it certainly feels like the more challenging of the two modes as Refined can feel almost too easy at times. However, Refined Mode is exactly what it claims to be in nearly every way. If you’re looking for a fun hack n’ slash action-JRPG with a deep customizable system to tailor to your playstyle, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir is some of the most enjoyable times to be had, going far beyond the nostalgia of a simple remake.

God Is A Geek - 9.5/10

The only real problem you will face while playing Odin Sphere is how things start to feel repetitive later on in terms of visuals and in some cases gameplay. There are reused stages because of story reasons, and the gameplay might be a little too stale for some as you power through the stories of each protagonist. My suggestion is be creative with skills and try out new ways to chain enemies into massive combos.

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir is an amalgamation of everything a great game should have: addictive gameplay, gorgeous visuals, a gripping story, and a heck of a lot of customisation. If you missed this on the PS2, you owe it to yourself to experience one of the best games out there on current PlayStation platforms.

IGN - 9.5/10

I feel like I’ve touched upon everything I love about Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir, and yet I still can’t seem to say enough good things about this amazing remake. Starting from an already-outstanding PlayStation 2 game, Vanillaware went above and beyond to realize its full potential with the addition of more role-playing elements, a near-perfect framerate, stunning graphics, better maps, and a more vigorous combat mechanic. Even after I finished playing, I wanted to go back and explore more areas, fight more enemies and collect more loot. It’s a continuous loop of fun, and I hope it never ends.

Destructoid - 9.5/10

I never thought we'd see Odin Sphere again, but here we are with Leifthrasir. Even if it kept all of the classic frustrations as is it would still be worth checking out, but Vanillaware and Atlus have somehow managed to cater to both crowds with the remake. This game is required reading, and now is the time to curl up and see what you've been missing.

RPG Site - 9/10

Rest assured - the other versions also perform technically well! Portable players should have no fear playing the Vita version; it runs at the same 60FPS with only minor slowdowns when an excessive amount of effects are on screen – nothing that comes close to it being unplayable and certainly nothing like how Odin Sphere ran on PlayStation 2. It is a spectacular game to play on-the-go and also supports PlayStation TV too.

With lessons learned from its original release along with the experience of other titles under Vanillaware’s belt, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir surpasses what I tend to expect from a remake these days. It expands, streamlines, and enhances almost every aspect of Odin Sphere with the utmost care without leaving behind individuals who loved the original experience. This is the best case of a video game remake done right.

Playstation LifeStyle - 8.5/10

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir is an outstanding remaster of a game many JRPG fans missed on PS2. Perhaps its most striking feature is the refreshing availability of information that comes with its fantastic interface, from easy-to-read maps to detailed descriptions of each item that comes your way. There’s no denying that Vanillaware’s signature style looks its best in crisp HD, and the improvements made to the controls and combat make the game feel fresh and modern. If your fingers are itching for big titles like Final Fantasy XV or Persona 5, consider keeping them busy with Leifthrasir’s fast-paced and frantic battles — this is one of the best remasters on PS4, and a can’t-miss for JRPG fans if you already let it pass you by in 2007.

WCCFTech - 8.2/10

For as much as I loved Odin Sphere Leifthrasir as a complete package, both visually and its tight gameplay, I found myself having to experience the game in smaller chunks with taking breaks between each character’s story as to not burn myself out on playing through the same levels time and time again. However, every time I picked up the controller and played through a chapter I was constantly reminded of just how polished and refined a title that only Vanillaware can craft.

Push Square - 8/10

Fully deserving of a second chance, Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir is a glorious remake of a fine RPG. Its stunning art style looks better than ever, and the tale it tells is still effortlessly charming. Little niggles like its clunky inventory system keep it from being picture perfect, but it's difficult not to be left thoroughly impressed by Vanillaware's lovingly crafted fantasy – even after all of these years.

Twinfinite - 4/5

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir is a true gem of an action RPG, and this HD remake certainly does nothing but improve upon the original release. The story certainly has its fair share of emotional drama and plot twists, complete with a handful of light-hearted moments too. If you’re looking for excellent brawler gameplay with RPG elements and absolutely gorgeous artwork and uniquely designed bosses, you can’t go wrong with Leifthrasir.

Gameinformer - 8/10

Some of the same issues were also present in the original PS2 release, but Leifthrasir is an enormous evolution as a whole. With so many annoyances fixed, this feels like the game Odin Sphere was meant to be. The presentation is top-notch, and the action is fast-paced and satisfying. I still got the sense of an older game at the core of the experience, but the updates more than justify revisiting this stylish and unique adventure.

Corpekata

Banned
Posting my thoughts from another thread:

Surprised at the high scores.

I didn't hate my time with my copy, and my review isn't up yet, but I found it visuals aside to be a questionable remake. The game is incredibly easy on Normal, so don't play on that. The enemies weren't designed or changed around the new moves you can pull off so a lot of them, as cool as they look, feel like they break the game. I was often only ever bothering to level up or even change my equipment when I was full on my inventory.

I dunno, I feel like they went too far in the changes (and I'm hardly a big fan of the original), the rough edges are gone, but so is a lot of the unique aspects of the game. Now it's a slightly different, way easier game that plays like their recent titles. All it really did was make me want to play those again instead. The game was always repetitive but now that you are death personified, that repitition is even more grating since there's no real challenge anymore, nor resources that really matter.

Feels like a middle ground between the Classic Mode and the remastered mode could have been achieved, but oh well.

TehOh

I posted some impressions at 4 Color Rebellion.

Not a full review, but - eh - another set of opinions for the pile.

Posting my thoughts from another thread:

Surprised at the high scores.

I didn't hate my time with my copy, and my review isn't up yet, but I found it visuals aside to be a questionable remake. The game is incredibly easy on Normal, so don't play on that. The enemies weren't designed or changed around the new moves you can pull off so a lot of them, as cool as they look, feel like they break the game. I was often only ever bothering to level up or even change my equipment when I was full on my inventory.

I dunno, I feel like they went too far in the changes (and I'm hardly a big fan of the original), the rough edges are gone, but so is a lot of the unique aspects of the game. Now it's a slightly different, way easier game that plays like their recent titles. All it really did was make me want to play those again instead. The game was always repetitive but now that you are death personified, that repitition is even more grating since there's no real challenge anymore, nor resources that really matter.

Feels like a middle ground between the Classic Mode and the remastered mode could have been achieved, but oh well.

It is *really* easy on normal, but I enjoyed it on hard mode.

We gave it an 8/10 on Push Square:

Fully deserving of a second chance, Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir is a glorious remake of a fine RPG. Its stunning art style looks better than ever, and the tale it tells is still effortlessly charming. Little niggles like its clunky inventory system keep it from being picture perfect, but it's difficult not to be left thoroughly impressed by Vanillaware's lovingly crafted fantasy – even after all of these years.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/odin_sphere_leifthrasir

Our reviewer really, really liked it.

EDIT: Thanks for adding to OP! :D

Ralemont

not me
Wow, the CE looks pretty great for this. Loved the original and did not except the remake to be this much of a success.

Looks great. I've got the storybook edition pre-ordered, but I might not get around to playing until I'm done with the new Witcher 3 expansion. Still looking forward to it a great deal, though. I love Vanillaware.

raven777

Cj4WE83UgAIiTus.jpg:large

Karak

Mine again for ACG. Rated it a Buy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3y6yQrbCTo

Post from other threads
"Game is pretty damn good, has some frame-rate drops, is a bit easy at times, and there is a good chance you will find at least one character in the stable not for you. Just sort of happens sometimes.

That being said the intermixing of systems that have both a high end use and low end use and the ever changing chain of cost versus effect gives the game an immense amount of strategy despite looking like it probably has none. Also while level design is sort of a bubble universe method the end result never felt grindy though the epilogues are hilariously borked in their pacing."

Jb

I'd heard some good things from folks who imported it. As someone who's only played the Vita Muramasa I'm definitely interested by this.

cireza

Banned
I gave it 8/10 on French website Sega-Mag. We have been reviewing "Sega" games for more than 10 years now, and are a Sega dedicated website, for your information :)

Of course, review is in French :
http://www.sega-mag.com/test-Odin+Sphere+Leifthrasir-PSVita-6091.htm

Here is a translation of the final part of my review :

Pour ceux qui aiment la 2D, les Action-RPG ou tout simplement le travail du studio Vanillaware, le “nouvel” Odin Sphere est un titre à ne pas rater. Ce remake démontre que l’on peut aller bien au-delà du recyclage facile pour grandement améliorer un jeu. Tout a été revu et corrigé, aussi bien côté level-design que gameplay. Le jeu a gagné en variété tout en restant fidèle à son esprit d’origine. Le résultat final est propre et agréable à parcourir, et même ceux qui ont joué au jeu d’origine (par ailleurs inclus dans ce remake) auraient tort de ne pas replonger dans l’aventure, tant les améliorations sont consistantes et de qualité.

For people who like 2D, Action-RPGs or simply like Vanillaware's work, the "new" Odin Sphere is a must have game. This remake demonstrates that a developer can go for beyond an easy port of a game and greatly enhance it. Everything has been reworked and enhanced concerning both level-design and gameplay. The game offers more variety while keeping the original feel. The result is a very clean, satisfying game, even for those who have not played the original game (which is also included). If you have not played the original game, you should definitely check this remake. And for the others, the changes and upgrades make it worth checking the game again.

ScOULaris

Everyone needs to buy this. It's basically a remake and a remaster all on one disc! Pretty much the gold standard for how to remaster and re-release an old game.

Ridley327

Given all of the changes and improvements they've made, it seems tempting to call this more of an outright remake of the original than a mere remaster. Vanillaware seems to have done everything in their power to right the (many) wrongs the original game had, and then some.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Is Kotaku going to shame George again because his art 'looks like something a 13 year old would draw?'

raven777

Given all of the changes and improvements they've made, it seems tempting to call this more of an outright remake of the original than a mere remaster. Vanillaware seems to have done everything in their power to right the (many) wrongs the original game had, and then some.

it is a remake

Ralemont

not me
Debating the portability of Vita vs the beauty of this art on a 55" plasma...only the PS4 version has the Storybook edition which may be the deciding factor.

Ridley327

Is Kotaku going to shame George again because his art 'looks like something a 13 year old would draw?'

Unless there's new stuff in there, I don't see why anyone would take fault with the art direction on the characters in the game. They're all pretty tasteful and not particularly risqué.

B00TE

I was gonna wait on this, but these reviews are pushing me over the edge. New game+ and other endgamey stuff may sell me completely.

Inuhanyou

The scores are expected. This game is a gem. Now Vanillaware should make a new Muramasa

Eolz

Great scores! Can't wait to get my limited edition, love Vanillaware's games and their art.

Inuhanyou

Unless there's new stuff in there, I don't see why anyone would take fault with the art direction on the characters in the game. They're all pretty tasteful and not particularly risqué.

It was rhetorical. The response to Dragon's crown from some parties was embarrassing in my view

Wow, some people are never letting that go huh? Even three years later?

I was really annoyed at the kerfuffle.

I enjoyed the hell out of the demo. Great controls and animations and beautiful color pallette. Could tell the main game would get fairly deep in its combat and inventory systems.

Loved it. Can't wait to play the full game

Aters

That is a bit too high isn't it? It does have the same problem as the original version that is repetitive. Still my favourite game this year so far, but that score is insane.

Top Bottom