• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft sales top 100 million

Microsoft acquired Minecraft maker Mojang nearly two years ago, and at the time it had sold more than 50 million copies across PC, Xbox 360, PS3, and other platforms. Microsoft is revealing today that Minecraft has now reached the 100 million sale milestone, having sold 53,000 copies per day during the course of 2016. It's a phenomenal achievement for a game that started off as a bedroom project, distributed initially as a Java applet on a web forum.

Minecraft quickly captured the imagination of thousands of gamers who loved the indie game's concept of allowing players to shape an environment by crafting and building constructions out of blocks. It has spawned a giant community that creates replica objects and YouTube tips on how to play Minecraft that are regularly shared with millions of viewers.
Minecraft_Momentum.0.jpg
http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/2/11838036/minecraft-sales-100-million

U2NUMB

Not surprised at all... my 9 year old uses it as a chat room for all his friends from school. And they recruit more kids to get their parents to buy it and then they just talk while they build. They play a ton of games but always end up back there before the end of the day.

Crayolan

So how high up on the "best selling games of all time" list is that? 2nd after Tetris?

Edit: mobile not included...

Aaron D.

Congrats all around.

Minecraft inspired an entire generation of gamers.

Such a sweet success story for both the developers and the actual game we all got.

And here I am happy to sell 5 copies of my game a day.

Really though, amazing success. Congrats to the team at Mojang! Where and what could a Minecraft 2 be? I'd like to see what the future holds.

ChaosXVI

Man...I really thought Microsoft made a huge mistake 2 years ago because I figured Minecraft was as big as it was ever going to get.

Guess I was completely wrong. Seems like they might've underpaid on it, what with all the merchandising.

dankir

Incredible, I still have never played it though. No wonder it makes up the majority of Youtube gaming videos.

kswiston

Did Tetris even cost money on most of those "sales"? It was a pretty common game to be preinstalled on phones, or given as a promo.

Say one thing for Minecraft, it doesn't go on sale much (ie hardly ever). Even the mobile game stays at its $7 price tag all these years later.

Based on the mobile/PC/Console split on those graphs, revenue for Minecraft as a game is well over $1B ltd. The real money at this point is probably licencing though.

Incredible. You'd think whoever wanted this game has already bought it, but it just keeps on selling more and more.

I got in in 2009 on PC. Since then, I've bought it on Xbox 360 and PS4.

Yep there are probably a lot of people who bought it for multiple devices including mobile.

Carl

Bought it like 6 years ago, played for a few hours and got bored of ti.

Somehow managed to let someone pressure me into buying ti again on PS4. Played a few hours and got bored of it.

No idea why this game is so popular

I jumped on board in fall of 2010, a few months before the alpha closed and Mojang started their beta phase. We are both part of that first 1% I guess.

One of the best gaming investments I've ever made, really. I saw I think two YouTube 'lets play' videos and immediately said 'this is new, different and I must play it.'

Double the sales since the acquisition. Wow.

Holy fuck shit

Yep there are probably a lot of people who bought it for multiple devices including mobile.

Oh shit I forgot I bought it for iOS too. I don't even have an iPhone anymore lmao.

So I'm in for four copies and really only play the PC version. Welp.

jelly

Seeing kids play Minecraft on tablets blows me away. They are so quick and then you see friends joining in and doing crazy stuff. I like how it's creative and community driven. Better than so many other games people play on tablets.

The tutorial on Xbox confused me!

leeh

My blood pressure is through the roof.

Minecraft isn't awful, it's legos the game...

And since it's easily modded the community has made TONS of cool content and features for it.
Minecraft was coded like pure trash to begin with, mix that with Java 3d and you've got a basic game which needed a beefy PC to run.

I know all these things, I've put many many hours into it over many different platforms.

Haunted

Windows 10 version counted under mobile? ayy

Not surprised the PC version had the strongest showing in Europe.

nynt9

I jumped on board in fall of 2010, a few months before the alpha closed and Mojang started their beta phase. We are both part of that first 1% I guess.

I was in at alpha too. In fact I was salty at the breaking of the "all future versions of the game are free for alpha buyers" promise. Still, I think it's one of the best games of all time and probably the most influential and game-changing game.

KJRS_1993

How does this game still have so much momentum? I first played this five years ago and I remember it being pretty big back then as well.
Absolutely amazing.

gamz

Seeing kids play Minecraft on tablets blows me away. They are so quick and then you see friends joining in and doing crazy stuff. I like how it's creative and community driven. Better than so many other games people play on tablets.

The tutorial on Xbox confused me!

My kids are 9,7,7 and they create world's and fight in the worlds all the time. The shit they do blows my mind. I honestly don't really get it.

orava

How does this game still have so much momentum? I first played this five years ago and I remember it being pretty big back then as well.
Absolutely amazing.

Because children are a true renewable resource. There's always a new generation and the game is timeless.

Never bought it, but played it for hours and hours. Had some genuinely lovely experiences with my friends and that game. Thanks, Minecraft!

Top Bottom