• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NPD PR: 3DS has surpassed 60 million unit worldwide

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Thanks to Zhuge.

In the recent NPD pr, Nintendo has just confirmed that 3DS has sold over 60 million unit worldwide.

This was surely the most important annunced. Read more below.

CkjGh2vWgAA_wBq.jpg:large

Malakai

Excellent sales considering the fact Nintendo literally supported the 3DS family alone (apart from Atlus and Capcom's Monster Hunter).

kswiston

Excellent sales considering the fact Nintendo literally supported the 3DS family alone (apart from Atlus and Capcom's Monster Hunter).

3DS has/had quite a bit of support from Ubisoft, Square Enix, Level 5, Namco, and a few others.

I don't see how you can call the lowest/slowest sales in the entire Nintendo handheld line excellent. That said, they aren't horrible. Especially compared to the only other handheld this past generation.

A great Nintendo system that totally deserved it! Can't believe the 3ds outings this year, its supposed last "full" year in the market, are still going relatively strong instead of pathetically going out on a whimper like your usual Nintendo.

-Horizon-

Its a far cry from DS numbers but still pretty respectable in a post-mobile boom world I suppose. Wonder if the NX can maintain a similar number.

AdanVC

A light of good news. That's a really nice number considering the amount of competition they have with mobile and tablets.

Wii U on the other hand... When the only thing they mention for Wii U is Minecraft, you know things are reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallly badddd.

wishdom

Not bad at all considering every child has access to a smartphone/ipad these days.

Wonder what they'll pull off with the NX hh to counter this shrinking market.

Mediking

Really funny how my gaming tastes have changed within a generation. Used to play my 3DS like crazy but stopped when I got a PS4 and a Vita. Fire Emblem Fates brought me back but I haven't even finished it. Just keep going back to my PS4 and Vita. Congrats though to 3DS. It manages to hit a few demographics. I will pick up Dragon Quest and Pokémon for 3DS though and that cool Monster Hunter spinoff.

Parham

Banned
Puts into perspective how massive the handheld market was last generation. The original DS is at 154 million and PSP is somewhere around 82 million.

AmyS

3DS is a great system. Bought the OG 3DS about a week after launch in 2011. First Nintendo handheld I bought at (near) launch. I love the 3D, despite all the hate it gets, and 3D is much improved on n3DS XL.

3D Galaxy Force II and 3D Thunder Blade are some of the best examples of 3D on the system.

Looking forward to DQVII and still hope the physical release is still happening in NA (not sure what the status on that is).

-Horizon-

Would be terribad all around if NX handheld sales collapse to only >30 million in its lifetime.
Nintendo is pretty much the only one left in that market (other than mobile devices). They can't afford to lose it.

But it wouldn't surprise me, especially if they stumble out of the gate again.

Malakai

Idk Squeenix was pretty on board with the Bravely series and the Dragon Quest remakes.

Braveyly series was done a shoe string budget. Also, SquareEnix haven't even published the Dragon Quest remakes nor any of the Bravely series in the West. Nintendo is doing the publishing of the Dragon Quest series in the West and Nintendo published Bravely series in the West.

3DS has/had quite a bit of support from Ubisoft, Square Enix, Level 5, Namco, and a few others.

I don't see how you can call the lowest/slowest sales in the entire Nintendo handheld line excellent. That said, they aren't horrible. Especially compared to the only other handheld this past generation.

Ubisoft support was utter garbage. Level 5 and Square Enix doesn't even published their own 3DS games in the West. I'm sorry most systems(yes your beloved home systems cuz potable don't count due to reasons) when compared to Nintendo handheld will fall short.

Yokai Watch anyone?

Any how many people actually brought the 3DS to play Yokai Watch in the West?

Sterok

Should hit 65 million with no problem. Still my primary system, and between my deep backlog and a large number of upcoming appealing titles that will not be changing anytime soon.

Before people point to this as some sort of proof that the dedicated handheld market is healthy: 3DS sales peaked in Q3 2012, even before its second holiday season on the market, and have been in almost continuous decline ever since.

Griss

Congrats on the 60mil, but you'd better have a plan to replace this fucking thing that isn't 'portable version of the NX in late 2017 / early 2018'.

With the delay in the NX to early 2017 I want to see the handheld version there day and date.

Before people point to this as some sort of proof that the dedicated handheld market is healthy: 3DS sales peaked in Q3 2012, even before its second holiday season on the market, and have been in almost continuous decline ever since.

Which, to be fair, is because
a) It's a really, really mediocre piece of hardware that felt dated by late 2012/2013, and
b) The software people wanted (3D Land and Mario Kart 7) and the price cut had both hit by then.

60 mil units with such a flawed product is fine. Create a better product and they can still have a market niche there.

That's true, but the system has been selling well enough to reach 60 million, which is nothing to scoff at. It's definitely a huge contraction in the handheld market, but the ability to sell that much hardware means that there is still space for a dedicated handheld.

kswiston

I'm sorry most systems(yes your beloved home systems cuz potable don't count due to reasons) when compared to Nintendo handheld will fall short.

What does this have to do with anything?

3DS is the worst selling Nintendo handheld to date, coming off the best selling Nintendo handheld to date. Sales are still higher than what Xbox One will manage, but I think a drop that's quite a bit bigger than the PS2 to PS3 drop negates excellent sales status.

I don't think the third party support is much worse than what the GBA received.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Because the last generation wasn't saturated with smartphones and tablets. Comparing last handheld gen to this one is like apples and oranges. Totally different competition.

Infinite

Braveyly series was done a shoe string budget. Also, SquareEnix haven't even published the Dragon Quest remakes nor any of the Bravely series in the West. Nintendo is doing the publishing of the Dragon Quest series in the West and Nintendo published Bravely series in the West.

Ubisoft support was utter garbage. Level 5 and Square Enix doesn't even published their own 3DS games in the West. I'm sorry most systems(yes your beloved home systems cuz potable don't count due to reasons) when compared to Nintendo handheld will fall short.

Any how many people actually brought the 3DS to play Yokai Watch in the West?
Citation needed. Nothing about the Bravely Games scream low budget to me.

Sterok

If I only read your posts I'd be shocked that it was beating the Wii U. What numbers should an overpriced handheld that doesn't get many games in a smartphone world hit? A million shipped in 2 months is fine. Not great, not even good, but fine considering what it is in the overall market.

kswiston

Because the last generation wasn't saturated with smartphones and tablets. Comparing last handheld gen to this one is like apples and oranges. Totally different competition.

Yes, but by that standard, you could call current Blackberry phone sales excellent because they have to compete with iOS and Android now when the old Blackberry phones basically had the market to themselves.

What does this have to do with anything?

3DS is the worst selling Nintendo handheld to date, coming off the best selling Nintendo handheld to date.

I mean. It's only one of three handheld lines they've made between the Gameboy and the DS lines, so it's not hard to be "the worst selling Nintendo handheld".

If you count the Game and Watch, that one lags behind the 3DS by a good 15 million.

Servbot24

Banned
A great Nintendo system that totally deserved it! Can't believe the 3ds outings this year, its supposed last "full" year in the market, are still going relatively strong instead of pathetically going out on a whimper like your usual Nintendo.

It is? I genuinely haven't heard of any games coming aside from Bravely Second and Metroid (which is a negative game as far as I'm concerned). EDIT: Oh and Pokemon of course.

Which, to be fair, is because
a) It's a really, really mediocre piece of hardware that felt dated by late 2012/2013, and
b) The software people wanted (3D Land and Mario Kart 7) and the price cut had both hit by then.

60 mil units with such a flawed product is fine. Create a better product and they can still have a market niche there.

The vita, though? People aren't buying these things for tech.

It is? I genuinely haven't heard of any games coming aside from Bravely Second and Metroid (which is a negative game as far as I'm concerned). EDIT: Oh and Pokemon of course.

The selective reading you do online doesn't help. But if you need to know, 2016 is basically full of titles like Zero Escape, Shin Megami Tensei, Monster Hunter, and Ace Attorney.

Also Kirby which is literally out here tomorrow.

It is? I genuinely haven't heard of any games coming aside from Bravely Second and Metroid (which is a negative game as far as I'm concerned).
Monster Hunter X, Yokai Watch 2, Pokemon Sun&Moon, Bravely Second, Kirby, Ace Attorney, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest, SMT, Zero Escape, the (shitty) Final Fantasy MonHun ripoff. There may not be anything for you, but that's arguably a decent lineup for a Nintendo system that SHOULD have been replaced this year

EhoaVash

congratz

nintendo basically supported the system itself outside japan. Without them so many games wouldn't be localized due to the fears of Japanese publishers thinking western market has no interest in handhelds anymore.

with hardly any western developers making handheld games anymore and how mobile gaming has taken over everywhere even japan. Its very surprising to see 3ds sell this much. Their next handheld won't even reach 3ds numbers though.

Producer

Not true at all. Sega, Square, Marvelous, Bamco etc have all supported it. And Capcom has also released Ace Attorney and Resident Evil on it, among other titles.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yes, but by that standard, you could call current Blackberry phone sales excellent because they have to compete with iOS and Android now when the old Blackberry phones basically had the market to themselves.

Except this doesn't make sense because Blackberry phones are phones, just like iPhones and Android phones. The 3DS is a dedicated game system that has nowhere near the features.

kswiston

Actually no you can't.

No one is arguing that the nearly 60% drop from the DS to the 3DS can't be accounted for. Smartphones hit dedicated gaming devices hard. The Vita is more than proof of that.

The 3DS weathered the storm better than Sony's handheld did, however, a 60% drop from your previous product is not really excellent sales.

As for RIM/Blackberry:

unit-sales-800x450.jpg

Marketshare took a huge dive, because iOS/Android blew the market open, but their sales numbers actually continued to increase or slowly decrease well beyond the point that people where starting to declare them dead.

Except this doesn't make sense because Blackberry phones are phones, just like iPhones and Android phones. The 3DS is a dedicated game system that has nowhere near the features.

True to an extent I guess. Blackberry faltered because they couldn't match/keep up with iOS or Android in terms of features and cross platform synergy. Dedicated handhelds have declined because a lot of people are happy with the gaming experiences they can get on the mobile device they already own.

Parham

Banned
I don't buy this argument. You can't tell me Nintendo is satisfied with these numbers.

jblank83

One of my favorite systems ever. I like it so much I'll probably buy another to hold in case my current system dies out, especially if the NX lacks BC (seems likely).

I'm guessing it'll end somewhere between 65-70 million.

It's a shame Japanese developers didn't do as much on handheld as they did during the DS years. Regardless, except for the first year, it's been a great time.

Servbot24

Banned
Monster Hunter X, Yokai Watch 2, Pokemon Sun&Moon, Bravely Second, Kirby, Ace Attorney, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest, SMT, Zero Escape, the (shitty) Final Fantasy MonHun ripoff. There may not be anything for you, but that's arguably a decent lineup for a Nintendo system that SHOULD have been replaced this year

Fair enough - SMT and Zero Escape I am certainly going to be looking forward to, forgot about those.

Thoraxes

I got like 11 3DS games I'm buying before the end of the year. Shit is crazy.

Such a far cry from DS sales.

The price was way too high, launching at $250.

Bad launch as far as games went. Ridge Racer and SFIV were my favorites of the bunch. I was actually buying stuff like Shinobi, Blaze Blue, and DOA Dimensions for something to play on it back then.

Brand confusion was real. People didn't know that the 3DS was something new and not just another DS.

3D didn't help. The 3D backlash was strong at the time. Nobody wanted 3D movies, 3D TVs, and especially not 3D videogames.

That's true, but the system has been selling well enough to reach 60 million, which is nothing to scoff at. It's definitely a huge contraction in the handheld market, but the ability to sell that much hardware means that there is still space for a dedicated handheld.

We'll see, but DS certainly didn't prove that there was anywhere near a ~150M market for a successor, nor did PSP prove that there was anywhere near an 80M market for a successor. So, particularly given the aforementioned sales trends, it seems very questionable to look at 3DS and assume there's anywhere near a 60M market for a successor.

Top Bottom