• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms PS4 Neo, [Cites smartphone cycle, waiting until enough games post E3]

Thomper

Andrew House has confirmed to the Financial Times that a PlayStation 4 Neo is in development. He also says it won't be shown at E3, and they're not announcing a release date or price yet.
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/aca45ff2-2ea0-11e6-bf8d-26294ad519fc.html#axzz4BAsObibW
Andrew House, president and global chief executive of Sony Interactive Entertainment, told the Financial Times that the “high-end PS4” would be more expensive than the current $350 version.

“It is intended to sit alongside and complement the standard PS4,” he said. “We will be selling both [versions] through the life cycle.”

The new console, which is codenamed “Neo”, will target hardcore gamers, he said, as well as consumers with a 4K television set looking for more high-resolution content.
However, in a move that may disappoint some fans, Mr House said that Sony would not be unveiling its new console next week and refused to say when or at what price the unit would go on sale. “We want to ensure we have a full range of the best experiences on the new system that we can showcase in their entirety,” he said.

Nonetheless, he downplayed concerns that the move would cause interoperability problems between the old and new PS4 hardware.

“All games will support the standard PS4 and we anticipate all or a very large majority of games will also support the high-end PS4,” he said.

Gamasutra had a bit more from the article: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...tion_Neo_rumors_but_console_wont_be_at_E3.php

"It is intended to sit alongside and complement the standard PS4," House explained. "We will be selling both through the life cycle. All games will support the standard PS4 and we anticipate all or a very large majority of games will also support the high-end PS4.”

According to House, Sony wants to ensure there are enough games and experiences that can showcase the Neo’s improved functionality before officially unveiling it to the public, which is why it won’t be revealed at E3.

Speaking more broadly about consumer reaction, House believes buyers have become used to frequent, and often costly, upgrades thanks in part to the emergence of high-end smartphones.

"We want to ensure we have a full range of the best experiences on the new system that we can showcase in their entirety," continued the Sony Interactive Entertainment president.

"The consumer is attuned to a different cadence of innovation in technology thanks in great part for the upgrades cadence on mobile phones or PCs."

georly

o_O I guess better to confirm it like this than on stage and incite a riot (to what little people don't know about it yet)

Best thing to do is keep it low-key, I think.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
RedPill_hand.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
bluff ahead of the MS press conference? Or are both sides going to keep their powder dry for as long as possible?

ekim

He also says it won't be shown at E3, and they're not announcing a release date or price yet.

Quote for that? Can't access the article due to a paywall.

edit: ok - seen the update.

Bummer it's not there. Would've loved to see it. :(

bluff ahead of the MS press conference? Or are both sides going to keep their powder dry for as long as possible?

Someone earlier (possibly insider?) posted that E3 message is PS4/PSVR, and the Xmas product is PSVR, which is why Neo's not being pushed now.

Made perfect sense even if it's not true.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Well there it is.

I guess they want to pre-emptively defuse any disappointment of it not being at E3.

But now...when is it coming? Not this year afterall? Or a late-year reveal and prompt release?

Zhao_Yun

Expected that it wouldn't be at E3. If it releases at the end of the year, they'll wait for something like gamescom or TGS since they don't want the sales of the normal PS4 to tank over a long period of time.

Plum

Unless MS brings the goods were having an E3 where no hardware is revealed despite expecting at least 2 of them. How disappointing.

Kyzer

Banned
“All games will support the standard PS4 and we anticipate all or a very large majority of games will also support the high-end PS4,” he said.

No shit sherlock, you made it mandatory for devs lol

Well that's...disappointing. Not at E3.
I think it's good. We know it's coming. No need to talk about it until it's a month or two out. They said what we expected. Both will sell through the rest of the gen. Buy the high end of you want a bit of a boost or go with the current which will be cheaper.

There's no special games for it, features, etc.

Probably Gamescom or TGS with a close release date, I would guess.

I'm feeling GC since they have announced hardware revisions there before, I imagine NEO to be aimed more at the western market and TGS would be cutting very close if it's released around October.

Of course it's also possible they announce it outside of any event.

sense

So they are not going to phase out the current ps4 so that is good. Keep one for the price conscious and another for the enthusiast.

jmaine_ph

Finally they speak. This makes me believe it is coming this year, they just want to wait close to launch to show/fully announce it.

Frodo

I'm here waiting for the same backslash Nintendo got for not revealing NX at E3.

That basically confirms it will not be out this year, right?

Top Bottom