• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA roughly dates and talks about future Star Wars games, Battlefront VR is a mission

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Rough Summary:

2016: Updates to Battlefront, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and Galaxy of Heroes (the mobile game). They also note that Battlefront VR is a VR mission exclusive to PSVR.

2017: Battlefront 2 with DICE, Motive, and Criterion. There's a heavy implication between the text and Motive's job postings that they're making the game's campaign.

2018: Visceral's game directed by Amy Hennig.

2019+: Respawn's game along with some other games that are just starting. In the video, James Ohlen implied that BioWare was making more than SWTOR, so I'm guessing this is the new mystery online game they were hiring for (I'll go out on a limb and predict Destiny: Star Wars Edition).

EA said:
THE FUTURE OF EA STAR WARS™ GAMES

By Jade Raymond, Group General Manager, Motive Studios | Visceral Games

Today at EA PLAY, we gave our players a special look at what’s going on with some of the amazing Star Wars™ projects our studios are working on right now. These experiences will explore different Star Wars eras in different gaming genres on different platforms.

Here’s a look at what’s ahead for EA Star Wars in the next few years and beyond:

The team at DICE are continuing to add more of the content players want to Star Wars™ Battlefront™, with free* content and three more digital expansion packs coming by the end of the year – Star Wars Battlefront Bespin, Star Wars Battlefront Death Star and a final pack in December we’re all especially excited about. And for VR fans, DICE is also working with Criterion on an exclusive Star Wars Battlefront VR mission for PlayStation VR this year.

With Star Wars™: Galaxy of Heroes, the team at Capital Games has already delivered a deep Star Wars mobile experience featuring iconic characters and locations from every corner of the Star Wars universe. With new features like guilds, raids and chat added this spring, and more new updates planned for the year, players will have a ton of new content to experience for a long time to come.

This December, BioWare will celebrate the 5th anniversary of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ and the game keeps getting better. You can expect more of BioWare’s high quality, story-driven content and new game features throughout the year.

A new installment of Star Wars Battlefront is currently in development at DICE, in collaboration with Motive™ Studios in Montreal. Our team at Motive team is growing quickly, and making great progress in building out a significant new addition to the game. While we’re not ready to get into specifics right now, we have started development of this game by listening to all of the feedback we received, while also innovating in new areas I think you’re all going to be excited about.

A brand new Star Wars story will debut in a new action adventure game from Visceral Games™. I’ve been blown away by the level of collaboration between the Story Team at Lucasfilm and Amy Hennig and the team at Visceral as they create an original, authentic narrative in the Star Wars universe. It is an amazing example of how we’re taking an already strong partnership to another level.

Beyond

That’s not all we have in production right now. Our partners at Respawn Entertainment are making their own 3rd person action adventure game, one that features a different style of gameplay and takes place in a different timeline we have yet to explore with our EA Star Wars titles. And we’re early in pre-production on some other projects we think you’re going to be excited about as well.

No matter the genre you play or the platform you play on, we will have a great Star Wars game for you. Join us, and together we can rule the galaxy.
Source: http://www.ea.com/news/announcing-a-new-security-executive-at-ea

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Meh...Star Wars game supports VR in 2-3 years. Sure. Not surprise to anyone.

GeeTeeCee

Star Wars Battlefront Bespin, Star Wars Battlefront Death Star and a final pack in December

This was originally slated for early 2017, so either DICE are getting more confident with their ability to deliver dlc for Battlefront, or they want it out of the way so they can focus on Battlefront 2.

Happy we got to see a glimpse at Amy Hennig's game. Even with it being five second and in-game stuff, no gameplay, I was more than ready to settle on anything. Hoping we get something more substantial as a teaser at next year's Star Wars Celebration, but for now, quite content.

mozfan12

Banned
A bit dissapointed we got nothing KOTOR related for consoles. Hopefully we'll see something at the press conferences for the big two but there was no substance Star Wars wise at the conference, other than just hey we are working on stuff so look forward to it in two years time.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Can't believe we didn't even get a name for Hennig's game.

Its like 2.5 years away so no point.

EA sure do like talking about games that are years off. They showed a big fat lot of nothing.

Unlike Ubisoft they actually do full disclosure that these games are coming out in couple of years.
Ubisoft is the shittiest, shows games that does not look anything like the reveal in final version, shows project without a expected release dates

Kerned

Banned
It's shocking how long it's taking to get a single player Star Wars game out. Nothing for Force Awakes, nothing for Rogue One, nothing for Ep. VIII.

CamHostage

It's good that EA is being careful and isn't over-saturating the market with Star Wars titles, hopefully the products they do deliver live up to the long gestation period, but man, I expected a lot more activity on this brand by now! EA got the LucasArts deal in 2013, and they've still only shipped one game (and some mobile product), we're still two years away from anything but Battlefront. No remasters, no console SWTOR, not even some farmed-out downloadable games based on the movies to tide fans over. You can't accuse EA of milking Star Wars dry, but this feels like too far in the opposite direction right now.

TheXbox

It's shocking how long it's taking to get a single player Star Wars game out. Nothing for Force Awakes, nothing for Rogue One, nothing for Ep. VIII.
It is. I don't know when exactly EA acquired the license, but Star Wars is more popular right now than it has ever been. By the time that Han Solo movie drops in 2018, they'll only have a pair of Battlefront games to show for all their efforts. Not good enough.

Water

So they have de facto abandoned Star Wars on the PC for the foreseeable future?

Battlefront is apparently dead and with such a lack of effort on the PC (no private servers and server browser = no lasting community) combined with a poorly matching business model (high price and mandatory season pass) I honestly think Battlefront 2 also has high chances of being DOA. A ton of people will have skipped the first one entirely, and many who have bought it will feel burned, either way the sequel will have an uphill climb.
Investing in the first game, fixing the server/community aspect and making the game+season pass combined cost the same as Overwatch would be something, but that doesn't sound like a move EA has in its toolbox.

They would be in a position to reuse their existing high quality content to do impressive stuff cheaply for Rift and Vive, but no word of that either - not even a port of that experience they're doing for PSVR.

ps3ud0

Damn so nothing that even half interests me til 2018 - I fully expect BF2 to miss like BF, DICE just arent that capable

RIP Criterion :(

ps3ud0 8)

Top Bottom