• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S has additional CPU/GPU power, games can look and run better

Don't know if this is worth a new thread, feel free to lock if not. I searched and didn't find anything specifically about this.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/13/11927732/xbox-one-s-performance-gears-4

Gears of War 4 employs a dynamic resolution system that tweaks the game's rendering resolution in both single-player and multiplayer to maintain its target frame rate in each mode (30 frames per second and 60 fps, respectively). According to Fergusson, the Xbox One S has additional raw GPU and CPU power compared to the Xbox One, and The Coalition's engineers have been able to take advantage of that to reduce the frequency of frame rate or resolution penalties in more demanding sections of the game.

EDIT: Phil Spencer says that this was a misleading statement by Fergusson and that the Xbox One S was designed to play games exactly as they currently play on Xbox One. Move along.

EDIT 2: Turns out it was true all along. Microsoft now admits it after Digital Foundry's testing revealed performance increases up to 9fps in some games.

Albert Penello said:
Our testing internally has shown this to be pretty minor, and is only measurable on certain games, so we didn't want to make it a 'selling point' for the new console

SMattera

But you need an HDR television also to take advantage of it.

Basically a $1,000+ TV released in the last year or two.

GHG

But how much additional power are we talking here?

Will this apply to other games like Horizon 3?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
No is this real lol

no one has ever mentioned this in interviews? come on.

Madness

So it is in essence not just a console revision but a new console altogether if it has increased CPU/GPU. I think this is probably a misspeak. They wold have announced it if it had greater power allowing for enhanced visuals no, even if they were miniscule differences.

All this division within consoles. If one iteration of your console has significantly better hardware capabilities and specifications - it's NOT the same console. It doesn't inspire developers to push hardware. They're not creating games on an even playing field. Sooner or later you ARE going to have the boundaries they are so deparately trying to eliminate.

I don't really get what MS is doing anymore. Why are they making devs have to optimize a console game 3 times for 3 revisions of 1 console in a 2 year span?

I don't really get what MS is doing anymore. Why are they making devs have to optimize a console game 3 times for 3 revisions of 1 console in a 2 year span?

I think they're going to move to a model where there are new revisions every year with incremental bumps in power and features, not too different from what Apple does with iPhones. The transition into this is probably going to be a bit rough.

In the Microsoft conference, didn't Phil Spencer say something like "the Xbox One S demonstrates our commitment to ensuring games work across all Xbox platforms"?

It stuck out to me at the time, and I remarked to someone "is he bragging that the Xbox One plays Xbox One games?" Maybe this is what he was alluding to.

But you need an HDR television also to take advantage of it.

Basically a $1,000+ TV released in the last year or two.
I bought an older 4k 50inch Tv for $300, not to brag, but what I mean is there are 4k TVs for around 500 at Walmart if I'm not mistakened.

the closer it gets to ps4 the better it will be for mutliplats as you have to cater to the lowest common console first and then start from there

Trup1aya

So it is in essence not just a console revision but a new console altogether if it has increased CPU/GPU. I think this is probably a misspeak. They wold have announced it if it had greater power allowing for enhanced visuals no, even if they were miniscule differences.

Doesn't sound like enhanced visuals, just better performance.

Think Halo 5's dynamic res. When the action gets heavy, the resolution drops so that the framerate remains steady. Perhaps on the S, it would take MORE action to cause the resolution to drop.

Top Bottom