• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's new (added) mandate is 'Make epic games,' Spider-Man is just the beginning

Last night, Sony and Marvel dropped a huge surprise: Ratchet & Clank developer Insomniac Games is making a new Spider-Man video game exclusively for PlayStation 4.

According to Jay Ong, Marvel's vice president of games, Insomniac's Spider-Man game is just the beginning for Marvel's ambitious plan to bring its superheroes to consoles.

"When I joined Marvel two years ago, I came in with a mandate to usher in a new era for Marvel Games," Ong told Polygon in an interview. "We have a treasure trove of the best superhero characters on earth. What can we do with this to create truly epic games?

"Is [Spider-Man] a signal of things to come? Oh, yes. Absolutely. And we can’t wait to tell the world about it."
http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/14/11937012/marvel-games-aaa-spider-man-insomniac-games-jay-ong

Sounds promising :D

Sounds like Telltale is working on a Marvel game as well. Avengers?

It's not yet clear when Marvel, Sony and Insomniac's Spider-Man game — or Telltale's unnamed Marvel game, which Ong says will delight fans — will be released. But those titles represent a new course for Marvel Games.

"Building these franchises, and building these characters [at Marvel Games], this is that first big milestone from this team," Ong said. "This is a huge ambitious project."

Vibranium

Banned
If Spidey sells well, we will see bigger Marvel games.

Hoping for a Daredevil/street level Marvel game at some point. Run around as Iron Fist or Luke Cage and kick some ass.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Platinum Spider-Gwen game? They wanted it before. Make it happen Marvel!

Granjinha

Fuck yes. Disney should join in too. They have a lot of franchises that could make great games.

Can't wait to see the Telltale Game. Spiderman looked incredible (although that probably was target render)

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
According to Jay Ong, Marvel's vice president of games, Insomniac's Spider-Man game is just the beginning for Marvel's ambitious plan to bring its superheroes to consoles.

op7pcYD.gif

Aw yess

Maybe a new deadpool game?

Neoxon

So is it safe to assume that Activision no longer holds the license for most Marvel properties anymore?
All Activision has left is the Spider-Man movie tie-in license, which expires next year.

So basically as long as it isn't X-Men (Deadpool included) or Fantastic Four, Marvel & Disney are letting developers who are willing to obtain the license go nuts.

True Fire

Marvel video game universe. Count on it.

Warner Brothers faces the same problem their movie division faced. Will they incorporate Superman with the Arkham universe, or reboot Batman again?

This is very exciting. I was worried Marvel was going to always be dragged down by Disney's "try once every five years and then set everything but mobile games on fire" mandate

Good to hear. I'll take an X-Men BioWare RPG, an open world Daredevil VS Punisher game, and a Fantastic Four/Secret Wars/Illuminati game written by Hickman.

Very exciting. Have they said if the Insomniac Spiderman game is at all linked to Homecoming, or the MCU in general?

Would be cool to see Marvel rope games into their larger media strategy.

Neoxon

Good to hear. I'll take an X-Men BioWare RPG, an open world Daredevil VS Punisher game, and a Fantastic Four/Secret Wars/Illuminati game written by Hickman.
See the link I posted earlier in the thread & you'll know why none of the bolded will happen in the near future. All of those franchises were banned by Marvel from appearing in post-CoC games.

iMax

Hopefully this means more Marvel character games, followed up by an Overwatch-style ensemble Avengers title.

Top Bottom