• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War team considered setting the new game in Egypt

Nibel

However this wasn't always the obvious next step in his journey. Santa Monica Studio knew it wanted to tackle a new mythology, but there was some debate on which gods would make the most sense for this game.

"Egyptian mythology was the other one and half the team was way into that," said Barlog. "All of them had great reasons. I think, for me, as I looked at both of those, Egyptian mythology is about the pharaohs as embodiments of the gods on earth and there's a lot more about civilisation - it's less isolated, less barren. I think at this time, we really wanted to focus on Kratos. Having too much around distracts from that central theme of a stranger in a strange land."

Source (Eurogamer)

might have been even more rad than the Norse setting

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I don't think anything is more rad than fighting Odin

Kratos could go to the South or to the North, he chose North.

he-chose...poorly.jpg

I am not well versed in these mythologies. What do we have in Egypt versus Norse? Thor vs. Gods of Egypt? :p

Egypt from what I know (and I know nth about Norse, lol) is a bit more gruesome and strange. But that may be because I often associate Norse with Santa Claus and Trolls. :")

dabig2

Egypt would have been boss. Their pantheon is as insane as the Greeks (as it should be since the Greeks copied a lot from them).

mcz117chief

According to the original script by David Jaffe and Cory Barlog the series is supposed to take place in all 3 regions: Greece, Egypt and Scandinavia. If they still follow it, the next part of the saga will be set in Egypt after Kratos is finished in Scandinavia. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter if Scandinavia is before Egypt.

18-Volt

That would have been much better. I have grown tired of Norse themed games, especially JRPG's. I don't remember last JRPG without words Yggdrasil, Valkyrie, Odin I've played.

Sjefen

Fuck that, Norse is so much better and there have been so little games with Norse mythology. Im glad they decided for the best choice

SpartanN92

Banned
I wouldn't be too upset... I feel like the Father/Son story couldn't be told if he was in Egypt. Something about this setting and the Father passing his knowledge to his son theme really fits this setting.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Maybe for the next reboot.

Or Japanese mythology; that would be pretty tight.

ChanMan

I could only wish as long as it's represented correctly. Honestly I would love to see a game done based on some Ancient African societies.

ps3ud0

Norse fits GoW far more better - its much more visceral and violent compared to Egyptian. I know more about Egyptian lore so thats another thing that interests me more about Norse mythology.

Damn now Im hoping for like an older version of How to Train your Dragon...

ps3ud0 8)

ActWan

There's always time for this someday
They should also do David Jaffe's vision of Kratos killing Jesus and expand it to all 3 major religions today with Moses, Abraham, Muhammad, Satan, the Angles and God being bosses...HUGE potential but will never happen as it offends too many people and is a really big risk to take

Would love to see Egypt eventually but plenty of stuff to cover with Norse:

• Norse Pantheon
  • Nine Worlds & Yggdrassil
  • Fimbulwinter & Ragnarok
Really hope they do it justice - God of War 1-3 were generally great.

LAA

I was definitely hoping more for Egypt, but I can wait. I'm sure they'll get around to it eventually.

So its confirmed that the new game is set in Norse mythology? If so how is this explained when they are still using Kratos as a character?

EloKa

Egypt from what I know (and I know nth about Norse, lol) is a bit more gruesome and strange. But that may be because I often associate Norse with Santa Claus and Trolls. :")

I think the norse / north germanic mythology is propably the most gruesome, harsh and cruel mythology that exists.

Also Santa Claus is propably a re-imagination of the highest god Odin / Wodan as a nice guy

Edit: also Norse mythology still exists in christians life until today. Not sure about ancient egypt

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Nah I want Kratos to take on Jesus, Muhammed and you know what, he can putch Buddha in the gut too.

Edit: Or rip off Shiva's arms and beat em to death with them.

mcz117chief

There's always time for this someday
They should also do David Jaffe's vision of Kratos killing Jesus and expand it to all 3 major religions today with Moses, Abraham, Muhammad, Satan, the Angles and God being bosses...HUGE potential but will never happen as it offends too many people and is a really big risk to take

That is incorrect, Kratos and his friends from Egypt and Scandinavia are supposed to be the 3 magi who come to BOW to Jesus and welcome him to the world as the one true God.

Illucio

Banned
Japanese Gods, Aztech, hell even Indian would be interesting.

Kratos vs. All the Mythologies would be interesting. And when Kratos runs out of Gods they can all be revived and then he must fight every single one of them at once.

Top Bottom