• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 vs Beginning Hour: Unraveling the Marketing Horror

Since the reveal of Resident Evil 7: Biohazard/Biohazard 7: Resident Evil, there's been a lot of confusion in the audience as to what the actual game is supposed to be and what then is this Beginning Hour teaser we were given.

Information unfortunately has been rather scarce, and Capcom is set to keep things that way for the time being. There have been some interviews and stream events set up lately that have illuminated some aspects, yet much of that information is getting buried or ignored in the face of reactions. As this information comes out while in the middle of bare reactions to the teaser, much is getting lost in the shuffle.

After some suggestions to do so, I've compiled information together from various sources to help clear the air and hopefully understand what RE7 will be in the meanwhile. I've done my best to source the information provided, with time stamps in video content. Some other elements may come from NeoGAF self posts in trailer and BH observations.

Beginning Hour spoilers will be kept at a bare minimum. For those who want to discuss Beginning Hour spoilers and strategy, take the discussion to this thread.

Any new and confirmed information released in the following week will be added to the OP.

General Sources

Staff:
  • Director: Koushi Nakanishi (Thanks Newsbot)
  • Lead Producer: Jun Takeuchi (44:38)
  • Producer: Masachika Kawata (CU channel)
  • Writer: Richard Pearsey (Thanks RickkTheGaijiin)

Platfroms:

• PS4, with Playstation VR support
  • Xbox One
  • PC, with no confirmation of any VR device support.

Code name Harawata . Translates to entrails, guts.

When did RE7 begin development?

Development began after the development of RE6 in 2012 according to a listing in a Linkedin profile that has since been removed.

The current version of Resident Evil 7: Biohazard has been in development since 2014, continuing the time honored tradition of the series of undergoing several changes during development.
(*Kawata told me: "Development has been going for over two, two-and-a-half years. It started in early 2014.")
This lines up with the talks in 2015 of Capcom's R&D Group 1 developing a VR capable proprietary engine, which became the RE Engine (18:44).

So RE7 was built with VR as a focus?

No. Resident Evil 7 was already well into development and intended as a FPS before VR entered the picture.
"First-person camera was part of the original concept of this game," Nakanishi elaborates. "It wasn’t something that was decided on part-way through....It was part-and-parcel of the original idea that kicked off this project."
"It was originally already going to be first-person before the ascendancy of VR in the last few years," Kawata reveals

Why choose a first person perspective then?
“If you want people to experience horror, and you want it in the most direct and visceral way possible, you know putting yourself in the position to see what the character sees is the best possible way to do that.” (16:58)

Due to the dramatic shift in perspective, a prototype was made to test and see if RE can work in first person before moving on with development. (16:58)

So how did VR enter the picture?
"We were making the game in first-person perspective and obviously VR has risen as a force in the industry and we thought this is great timing. Let’s see if it’s a good fit for VR and, of course, I think it is because first-person horror is such a great immersive experience, and VR only makes it better. It wasn’t in there at the start, but it came along at just the right time for us to take advantage of it."
“[Kitchen]Developed in parallel…proof of concept for VR…created at a time when the main game [RE7] was coming along quite nicely…it’s not a 1:1 relationship.”(34:10)

Wait, that makes it sound like Kitchen [Beginning Hour] isn't a part of Resident Evil 7.

That's because it is not.
“The demo is not actually a slice from the game. It’s not the opening sequence of the game or anything like that."(14:16)

What have I been playing this entire time then if not a demo for RE7?
"We wanted to focus on what concepts we wanted players to focus on in the game, and that’s obviously horror. So this is a tonal preview of what to expect from the game rather than a little bit of game content you’re getting in advance.” (14:16)

This is ridiculous. What then is in Resident Evil 7?
“…key pillars of the games which are fear and horror…exploration of the environment…puzzle solving elements…resource management…combat against enemies.”(15:03)
“Those are all in there, but we wanted to start off with the first two and get you experiencing those two pillars upfront [in Beginning Hours]. If you’re thinking of the other elements that aren’t in this demo are representative that the game doesn’t have them at all, this isn’t the case at all. We are just focusing upfront that horror has come home with this demo” (15:26)
"I can confirm herbs," producer Masachika Kawata revealed.
I'll even throw in what isn't in the game.
“There are no Quick Time Events in RE7” (45:10)

That sounds better, but still seems like a severe departure. Is this considered some sort of reboot?

No, it's a sequel.
“It’s not a reboot…we’re not throwing away the series’ canon storyline…it’s a numbered sequel to the existing mainline series titles(23:32)

Hey, so since Kitchen is different and RE7 is a sequel, we'll get Valentine back!

Not exactly
“… this is not an existing character that your eyes are seeing through…powerless, ordinary person…stuck in an extraordinary situation (21:36)

Why would they ditch a favorite character for some nobody?
“One of the places we got to in the series until now is that you’re playing these superhero characters…to bring horror experience right to the player…can’t be seeing through a macho hero character (21:36)

Let's talk about combat then since I'm robbed of my kick flips and suplexes. What weapons will I have? Can I fight the enemies or are they invincible stalkers? I can't stand those "Pewdiepie hide and seeks"!

While no weapon has been confirmed in RE7 to my knowledge (they are in though), there is the axe in Beginning Hour as well as a Shotgun in the trailer for the game. Likely the game will have a mix of melee instruments and firearms.

Little is known about the actual enemies, but I suggest reading horror guru Dusk Golem's analysis of the trailer that highlights some enemies that seem to be able to be fought off like any traditional RE enemy.

What about those ghosts? Why the heck is that shlock in Resident Evil?

While the plot of Beginning Hour and likely RE7 has relations to paranormal events, the devs are hinting that this isn't necessarily the case.
“…the impression that we’ve taken RE into some sort of supernatural/occult/ghost story…I can see where there’s elements of that…and get that impression…but don’t worry, we haven’t just thrown RE out as it exists in terms of turning it into a ghost story…it’ll all make sense in the end.”(42:48)

Will I be dealing with these not-ghosts in corridors all the time?
“…the entire game isn’t set in a series of corridors in or around this opening area…there’s a little more to it than that than a single little house” (40:51)
The game is set in a plantation located in Dulvey in the deep south. Dulvey is seen both on a newspaper in the trailer and heard on tape. The word bayou being thrown around may narrow the region down to Louisiana, but it's doubtful it'll get that specific. Given that there's a whole plantation and even a vehicle spotted in the trailer, there's likely to be some spacious areas.

If there's no gators, color me disappointed. While this sounds more promising than the P.T.-light we were given, I'm still not convinced I want a game that's now impacted by VR.

While the possibility of concessions may be apparent throughout the whole product, it sounds like the developers may separate them as modes, where graphics and other elements that may be sacrificed for VR will remain intact in normal play:
“The content is the same…of course for VR we need to optimize the experience to make it comfortable…immersive…but the actual game itself is exactly the same…whether you play regular mode or play VR mode.” (34:57)
but will still be seamless as far as progression is concerned:
"One key thing to note the game can be played entirely in VR but it’s absolutely up to the user," says Kawata. "There’s no separate version, no separate edition. The save data is the same on any given PlayStation, whether you choose to play on the TV or PlayStation VR. If it's getting too much for you in VR, you can take a break from it, and continue from your save file on the TV next time. We don’t want to force users down one path or the other."

Alright, so when am I going to see the real game?
“We know it’s frustrating how we keep holding back on what we can show you, but we want you to enjoy the game to the fullest when it comes out. So we just have a trailer and demo out for the minute, but watch this space [CU] in the coming months”
That doesn't sound very convincing after giving us a "fake" teaser and few hard answers to our concerns. Are they not confident in their work?

That is not the case.

Rumors

None applicable at this time

Hopefully we'll receive more information in the next few months and that you all found my first compilation thread enjoyable in its spartan appearance. As always be civil and remember:

ITHNIs.gif

Note: I'm breaking my self-imposed thread quarantine on this due to likely not being able to put it up for a few days due to device accessibility and travel. If this is viewed too soon or redundant, punch it like a boulder.

enkaisu

Banned
I'm so goddamn excited for this game. I didn't hate RE5 and 6, I thought they were good co-op games, but I'm so ready for Resident Evil to be scary again.

It's pretty obvious Capcom wants to get on the "Let's play fpv horror game" train.

And on the plus note NO QTE, hell to the fuck yeah!

How was the writer info found?

Unfortunately Newsbot (Our RE guru) couldn't recall the source and my searches came up empty. Otherwise it would be sourced. Could be buried in one of the dedicated community sites or even here. Eventually it'll turn up.

While I hope it's false, the timeline works in favor of it.

Edit: If this holds up against the more reactionary threads, I'll clean up some of the quotes once I'm off mobile. Right now the time stamps are from the Twitch channel, non-sourced and no time stamps are the IGN piece.

So the game is indeed a first person. Do we know if there is going to be some kind of combat mechanic or is it still anyone's guess?

So the game is indeed a first person. Do we know if there is going to be some kind of combat mechanic or is it still anyone's guess?

Text sort of bleeds together there due to lack of direct quotes or other visual partitions, but as mentioned in the OP there is combat (quoted directly from devs) and weapons just need official confirmation.

Currently I'm expecting there to be no ADS due to the (admittedly incomplete and not final) controls from BH. I don't think they'll want the weapon to always be present on screen, so maybe holstering will be a solution to that.

Doing a write-up for a blog thing I do on how toxic Capcom and Beginning Hour and the marketing has been, and this has been a lot of help. Thanks! Not that I have more than maybe 5 readers, but I'll give you all the credit for compiling this info. Again, thanks.

Thanks for this, cleared up most of the questions I had. So stoked for this to come out!

Glad this had so far been helpful. It really has been this baffling situation, likely spurred on by trying to mimic the successful pitch to the public that was P.T. and Silent Hills.

Unfortunately, announcing the game first and throwing the proof of concept to the public second didn't work. Doing it in this opposite manner set up expectations, which is quite diverse as it is with how broad the franchise has been over the years, that were than subverted in a manner not in line with their goals. It just leads to questions, ones that they painted themselves into a corner of not being able to answer due to whatever plans have been set in the upcoming marketing.

Hopefully this is the only bump, and a great RE title comes out of it.

Zaki2407

As an RE fan, I hope this game will be good.
I will not be able to play this because it's an FPS.
I can't play any FPS game for more that 10-15 minutes. It makes me feel dizzy and uncomfortable.
So RE7, I wish you luck.

FWIW the axe felt good to swing in the demo too. I feel confident combat will feel good.

A bit embarrassing, but I've yet to have the chance to play Beginning Hour. I've been focused on the RE7 end of things in the meanwhile, but I'm still staying get away from making public judgements on BH as it stands alone until I can invest time into it.

That said, I'm happy to hear that. ZombiU had a lot going for it, but the animations on the cricket bat weren't that impactful and lacking that feedback from the zeds. Something tells me that the axe and other melee tools will not have that problem in this.

I feel like I couldn't play this in VR with 3D sound, but I want to. I want to do it, because out of everything I do to get myself scared while still trying to stay safe, this VR game would be the best way to go about it. It'd be such a thrill, but I'll literally be in that world.

Me and my brother play horror games, we both wear earphones and one person plays while the other watches, and it's already really scary but we can get through it. In VR you are alone, surrounded by the game in visual and sound. It's ridiculous. I feel like I'll literally be shaking playing this in VR if I end up playing it that way and it sounds so so exciting.

OniBaka

It will be pretty interesting how they handle the combat.

If it's back to the roots then have to make using melee weapons very risky to use like in the old school ones and not like dying light and such. Having good hit detection and reactions from it.

Gun play would be tricky since you will be more accurate due to first person so either have to balance it with a lot less bullets, make aiming harder or make the enemies faster and not come at you at a straight line.

I wonder how they will tackle on taking optimal routes in the mansion though since I don't think you can run away from zombies by going through a door like in the originals and planning your routes.

What are your thoughts?

... holy shit. the writer for spec ops: the line is in? I am SO DOWN.

Gun play would be tricky since you will be more accurate due to first person so either have to balance it with a lot less bullets, make aiming harder or make the enemies faster and not come at you at a straight line.
What I want is a take on that loose Red Orchestra style of aiming where your gun aims slightly independently of your sight. You can use ADS to "arm" your gun and moving the right analogue stick doesn't so much change where you're looking as the angle of how you're aiming. This would be reminiscent of old RE aiming systems, and if they implemented shaky hands depending on the scenario you would have an aiming system that's immersive, effective, AND tense.

If it's back to the roots then have to make using melee weapons very risky to use like in the old school ones and not like dying light and such. Having good hit detection and reactions from it.

I wonder how they will tackle on taking optimal routes in the mansion though since I don't think you can run away from zombies by going through a door like in the originals and planning your routes.

What are your thoughts?
RE4-6 already have enemies that bob and weave, so I'm sure this will be alright. I want a knife on one button, like RE4 standardized, for quick encounters.

I don't think aim will be a big hindrance, as the original games up until 4 had auto aim anyway.

liquidtmd

Banned
Doing a write-up for a blog thing I do on how toxic Capcom and Beginning Hour and the marketing has been, and this has been a lot of help. Thanks! Not that I have more than maybe 5 readers, but I'll give you all the credit for compiling this info. Again, thanks.

The only thing I've found toxic is portions of GAF and the net at large on the initial reveal, as some seemed to be wanting to burn Capcom to the ground having just seen the footage and not even having played the sodding demo.

"ITS NOT RESIDENT EVIL ITS NOT MY RESIDENT EVIL HOW DARE YOU CALL IT RESIDENT EVIL FUCK YOU CAPCOM"

Rational opinions and disagreements are fine but the kneejerking levels reached 9000

Nudull

Banned
Digging everything I'm hearing, so far. New characters/protagonist(?), new-ish style, first-person perspective, a return to survival-horror...

It's the dream sequel I didn't know I wanted! :D

What are your thoughts?

Dusk Golem noted that some of the enemies seemed much faster than the player, so enemy behavior and ammo conservation will be the big ones. I'm rather curious as to see how firearms behave on screen in the gameplay and how that affects things.

That's a good point about the traditional system of approach, as I think they are going to avoid the common hide mechanics in non-combative horror. Can't say, outside of possible use of secret passageways, verticality in the rundown structures, and breaking sightlines.

Edit: Possibly lock or bolt doors that can either be busted through or will hold back whatever but it will be there waiting still (if it doesn't try another route). Depends how open the plantation and the play area is at a given time.

This has been incredibly disappointing to me so far. Biggest letdown at this years E3 by far. Resident Evil always had lovable goofball characters, stupid action, and fantastic core mechanics. RE7 looks like it will be having very little, if any, of that.

Sure, we haven't seen much of the game, but Capcom deliberately decided to not show us anything that is distinctly Resident Evil so I'm not holding my breath.

Nice info.

I mean, it raised eyebrows and seemed strange to not be a full reboot, but beyond that no one seemed to have that negative of a reaction (at least not from what I saw) since most knew 7 would a departure from 6 (just not to this extent). Toxic would be if people reacted to it like people reacted to DmC's announcement.

Nudull

Banned
This has been incredibly disappointing to me so far. Biggest letdown at this years E3 by far. Resident Evil always had lovable goofball characters, stupid action, and fantastic core mechanics. RE7 looks like it will be having very little, if any, of that.

Sure, we haven't seen much of the game, but Capcom deliberately decided to not show us anything that is distinctly Resident Evil so I'm not holding my breath.

The thing is that, at that point, the action and cheesiness has pretty much gone to its logical conclusion. As the quotes in the OP said, we've been practically playing superheroes (which is not an unfair opinion with the franchise, post-4). Say what you will about it's similarities to P.T./Silent Hills and the like, but it's nice to see the series try and go at the other end for once.

The thing is that, at that point, the action and cheesiness has pretty much gone to its logical conclusion. As the quotes in the OP said, we've been practically playing superheroes (which is not an unfair opinion with the franchise, post-4). Say what you will about it's similarities to P.T./Silent Hills and the like, but it's nice to see the series try and go at the other end for once.

I'd also add that a lot of the cheesiness came from a mixture of poor localization work causing unintended hilarity/drama and plot lines being cut and quickly shifted to a new direction due to dev time or content concerns.

It's nice that it's become a charm of the series, but it also shouldn't hold back from reaching out to possibly deliver on what the series couldn't before due the factors mentioned and beyond.

Cheesy RE isn't going to evaporate. Heck, hopefully they retain ridiculous costumes for replays or some sort of equivalent.

FinKL

This was a great read!

I think the problem is that the demo is actually the Kitchen (VR tech demo)? but they slapped a RE7 logo on it even though none of the content will be in RE7. Oh well though I'm excited

Mr_Zombie

The thing is that, at that point, the action and cheesiness has pretty much gone to its logical conclusion. As the quotes in the OP said, we've been practically playing superheroes

In case of RE6, we were playing literally superheroes: Sherry with her (in-cut-scenes-only) healing abilities and Jake with his combat skills and immunity to any virus.

I'm still salty about this being in first person perspective, since I hate fpp - especially in narrative-heavy games (I like my well-directed cut-scenes :(). A game that focuses on exploration and puzzles is fine and dandy, but that perspective... Oh well...

Having someone who worked on Spec Ops: The Line being responsible for the story is quite intriguing .

DR2K

Banned
They just slapped Resident Evils name on a new IP. I have a feeling if VR doesn't take off, the next RE will be back to its 3rd person roots.

Squire

Banned
Thanks for this thread.

RE7 sounds great. This is easily the most inspired the series has been since RE4. It almost feels like a dream scenario to me. Especially when you consider action games aren't exactly selling poorly. Capcom didn't have to take RE back to the drawing board, but they did, even in the face of inevitable controversy. I can't help but respect that.

Kalentan

They just slapped Resident Evils name on a new IP. I have a feeling if VR doesn't take off, the next RE will be back to its 3rd person roots.

I mean... The game can be played without VR and as far as we know, it only supports Playstation VR- leaving the PC and XBO version to only play without it. So I hardly think that the game going back to 3rd person is determined by how VR does.

Neff

Takeuchi being back in the producer's saddle is very interesting.

Western writer though? smh

Piers

I wonder how common it is for companies to tread backwards on a new IP. IIRC, Silent Hill 4 was originally a totally new game that got retooled into the franchise early in development.

Daante

I like pretty much everything iv read and seen so far with this game.

Now i REALLY hope Capcom continue to have the game sort of under the radar.. , with very subtle marketing, and not giving anymore big info regarding the game.

What i want is total mystery and chaos for the whole internet-gaming-community (myself included), when the game is out.

Imagine PT Twitch chaos but with a full game.. , oh man the feels.

No. Did you read the OP? They made it First Person long before VR was a thing, and the game continues the story/canon of the past games.

Considering how popular this series is and how popular FP games are, RE7 is primed to sell gangbusters, assuming it doesn't suck like RE6. And, I for one am excited as fuck.

No. Did you read the OP? They made it First Person long before VR was a thing, and the game continues the story/canon of the past games.

Considering how popular this series is and how popular FP games are, RE7 is primed to sell gangbusters, assuming it doesn't suck like RE6. And, I for one am excited as fuck.

Even with the bad critical reception of RE6 that game still sold like 6 million copies as of last year. Now if it's a good Resident Evil game? Just with the name and word of mouth it could definitely sell really well.

Sayad

While no weapon has been confirmed in RE7 to my knowledge (they are in though), there is the axe in Beginning Hour as well as a Shotgun in the trailer for the game. Likely the game will have a mix of melee instruments and firearms.
There's also a handgun:
https://youtu.be/GwofRzkROo4?t=1h7m31s <-- switch to 0.25 playback speed to see it

Upper right part of the video, someone is holding a gun and a zombie or the family guy is walking toward him, looks better in motion but they keep switching views, so we don't get a clear shot of it, it's only really noticeable while viewed at 0.25 speed:
ZdwDEo9.png

Love most of what I'm hearing and don't mind the gameplay changes, but the lack of a Resi style super hero protag is a bit disappointing. I like my Resi cheese.

Kazuhira

I feel like he is answering questions/complaints i've had for a long time,especially the "superhero character" part.
As traditional as it gets,i'm kinda tired of the old mansion in middle of nowhere scenario;I really want another urban setting like in RE3,hearing the screams of the poor civilians in the background,the feeling of being last person alive while walking the desolated streets of a city in ruins.
I'm hyped as fuck and i hope they show more soon,only 7 months left..

Nice info.

I mean, it raised eyebrows and seemed strange to not be a full reboot, but beyond that no one seemed to have that negative of a reaction (at least not from what I saw) since most knew 7 would a departure from 6 (just not to this extent). Toxic would be if people reacted to it like people reacted to DmC's announcement.

The only thing I've found toxic is portions of GAF and the net at large on the initial reveal, as some seemed to be wanting to burn Capcom to the ground having just seen the footage and not even having played the sodding demo.

"ITS NOT RESIDENT EVIL ITS NOT MY RESIDENT EVIL HOW DARE YOU CALL IT RESIDENT EVIL FUCK YOU CAPCOM"

Rational opinions and disagreements are fine but the kneejerking levels reached 9000

It's toxic because they put a finger in the teaser that does nothing to have people clamor around it and talking about it. They won't come out and say that the finger doesn't do anything because they're loving the attention. Idk. Maybe I'm just ornery, but it feels like a dick thing to do. It almost feels like a lack of confidence in this new direction in a way.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Thanks for putting this together and sourcing everything, TC.

It's been such a hectic week news-wise that we've gotten a lot of information in fragments and it's great to see it all consolidated cogently like this.

Top Bottom