• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: "A new kind of Mario is coming", announcement possibly next E3

TheJoRu

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06...rio-is-coming?abthid=57631b5bd7526c9d6f000010

IGN said:
"We're always challenging ourselves to create something new, so hopefully you'll see a new kind of Mario in about a year or two," Shigeru Miyamoto said in an interview with IGN.

"Maybe next E3 we'll be able to share something."

IGN said:
Miyamoto explained that the challenges Nintendo faces in tweaking the Mario formula are unique from those dealt with in producing Breath of the Wild because of how wide an audience Mario games reach.

"It's kind of difficult with Mario because some of the more important conventions of Mario are based on the approachability and accessibility of those games," Miyamoto said, noting that having new people join Nintendo has allowed them to look "at the conventions with fresh eyes."

If I'd make a guess I'd say it's likely they are gearing up for a new Mario for holiday 2017 if a E3 2017 announcement is to be believed.

Giolon

6SS7xsW.jpg

Is your body ready?

Panda Rin

This is what Nintendo needs. Zelda looks fresh and strays away from the past few entries.

If Mario can do the same, all the better.

Galang

Banned
Fuck yes!!! Do this to all your franchises Nintendo idgaf! People will complain either way, but it's been long needed

Mory Dunz

Zelda launch title and 3D Mario in Nov 17?

edit:
I mean, this better come within the first year of NX, or else that bodes horribly for it.
Unless there's other crazy software.

edit:
"a year or two" ?....eff

213372bu

Banned
Honestly though, "fresh eyes" and "new Mario" are just buzz words that don't really mean anything.

All we know it can be an open-world Mario game with different zones, or NBA Streets 2018.

Open world survival mario game. You can win the game without saving the princess from another castle. ;)

Actually this is big news reading some of the comments, it confirms no Mario for NX launch.

I was positive we'd see this at NX launch. Huh.

How long has it been since 3D World? I wouldn't mind if they used those assets to make a Wii U game so I actually have something to fuckin play on the darn thing for the next year.

El Topo

No need to troll.

How is he trolling? Offer people the option to play as Peach or (if not possible due to storyline reasons) Maria (or as a different ethnicity), no one loses anything. That's the fantastic thing about options. Everyone wins.
That said, this is obviously not what Miyamoto is talking about and I'm excited to see where the franchise goes next.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Love the new idea Nintendo's bringing to their IPs... However, as the NX is out in March and it will be shown at E3, that confirms no Mario at launch. Guess it will be a YR1 holiday game.

Really looking forward to this, especially if the younger talent are bringing in some fresh ideas. Eager to see what they'll do with it. With this and Splatoon Nintendo's emphasis on the new generation could be the best thing for them in a long time.

3D Mario isn't a Launch title then?

Maybe Zelda is?

Zelda at launch, Mario for the holidays seems logical.

I think this is a record for a pre-announcement

For Nintendo, I think Pikmin 3 has the record, and even 4 - been a year and we know nothing other than it exists.

THE SUPER MARIO CITY EVOLUTION OF MARIO 64

Instead of a hub and level selection we're given one large connected world with all the levels being naturally and seamlessly connected.

Oh and it uses the art style of Mario Kart 8 as well.

NX launch window title

Top Bottom