• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poster on Godus forum: Claims source says developer laid off, project abandoned

http://godus.boards.net/thread/1458/konrads-supposed-departure?page=1&scrollTo=28429

A source from inside the studio has confirmed that Konrad (FuriousMoo) is no longer employed by 22cans. He was in fact already gone by the time colin22cans was made redundant, although not long before. As far as is clear at this time, he did not choose to leave on his own accord, meaning he was "made redundant" as well. As for where he is now and what he is doing, the situation remains unclear.

Not long after the release of Godus Wars, the brunt of the Godus team was moved over to the Trail, at least everyone with knowledge of Unity. The Trail purportedly is a walking simulator with nice looking art but very little substance.

Majmun

What is Peter Molyneux even doing these days?

Lionhead doesn't exist anymore. Milo got canned, and now this...

kadotsu

Banned
Nietzsche-274x300.jpg

Approves.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Updated title. I suspect it's true given the lack of updates after Champions were added to Godus Wars in March (and the relatively quick clip of updates before then) but that's not what "official" means.

Eusis

Godus seems like a real example of a high profile Kickstarter floundering. MN9 seems to be at least on par with the more middling Mega Man games, but this? Half finished before moving on to a new shiny.

Vappy

Neo Member
I'm amazed to learn it was still going in any capacity. I thought it was effectively abandoned a while ago after hearing that the guy who won that mobile game precursor to Godus never actually received anything he was promised allegedly due to big development and management issues.

Seems plausible. Godus can't have sold anywhere near enough copies to keep the development going, and Godus Wars wasn't a hit either.

I was a backer of Godus, but have given up on this being what I wanted a long time ago.

zashga

So they never actually gave anything to the winner of Curiosity, right? Hard to think of Molyneux as anything but a charlatan at this point.

CHC

So they never actually gave anything to the winner of Curiosity, right? Hard to think of Molyneux as anything but a charlatan at this point.

They did give something. The prize was some nebulous role as "God" in the world of Godus, and the winner was some guy from somewhere in England who couldn't have cared less. As you might expect, nothing much came of it, but they did announce a winner and go through with the pageantry, so it wasn't a lie.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
They did give something. The prize was some nebulous role as "God" in the world of Godus, and the winner was some guy from somewhere in England who couldn't have cared less. As you might expect, nothing much came of it, but they did announce a winner and go through with the pageantry, so it wasn't a lie.

He was supposed to inherit money from a percentage of some aspect of the game.

"While Bryan is unable to discuss the terms of the deal, Eurogamer understands he was promised a royalty of one per cent of revenue from Godus for the period of his role as God of Gods."

As far as I'm aware that hasn't come to pass but I'm sure theres some weasel line in the contract they got the kid to sign too. Molyneux now at literal fraudster level essentially what with the IAP in Curiosity leading to 'this' as the prize.

That's not what happened.

He was suppose to get a cut, and it wasn't until Eurogamer reached out to Peter that he finally tried to reach out to the kid. The kid ended up still getting nothing out of this deal, but not caring either way, but the promise of earning a cut from the game was never fulfilled.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh

He was suppose to get a cut, and it wasn't until Eurogamer reached out to Peter that he finally tried to reach out to the kid. The kid ended up still getting nothing out of this deal, but not caring either way, but the promise of earning a cut from the game was never fulfilled.
It was never fulfilled ? Christ that was like 3 years ago ffs.

Was godus actually finished ? Did it leave early access ? Never really kept an eye on the game

I know a lot of people like to shit on certain developers and Dev teams, but molyneux really doesn't help himself

Godus had so much potential if they'd just made it a solid Populous update/reimagine.

Instead they tacked on so much horrible mobile IAPs that it turned into one of those "tap to collect coins!" games where the whole game is just waiting for timers to go down.

I loved the look of it, I liked how you could reshape the environment, but after 5-10 minutes I hit my first 30min+ timer and I immediately deleted it.

Mikeside

Godus had so much potential if they'd just made it a solid Populous update/reimagine.

Instead they tacked on so much horrible mobile IAPs that it turned into one of those "tap to collect coins!" games where the whole game is just waiting for timers to go down.

I loved the look of it, I liked how you could reshape the environment, but after 5-10 minutes I hit my first 30min+ timer and I immediately deleted it.

Yeah the terraforming tool in Godus is brilliant, it's a shame they did fuck all interesting with it, and I say that as an until recently fevered defender of molyneux

Trojan

The whole saga of Godus is sad and an example of how not to market and support a product. It was only a matter of time before 22cans pulled the plug on everything Godus and moved 100% to the next project, but not announcing that is another whiff in a long line of communication mistakes that the company has made.

There is a point where coming clean and simply saying "we totally fucked up, we're sorry, and we need to earn back your trust" is the best thing to do. They missed that boat at every point with this game, except the few times when Konrad was honest and went "off message" in saying the true state of the game.

Molyneux is probably a super nice guy deep down, but he's an utterly incompetent company head and completely lacks business acumen.

It was never fulfilled ? Christ that was like 3 years ago ffs.

Was godus actually finished ? Did it leave early access ? Never really kept an eye on the game

I know a lot of people like to shit on certain developers and Dev teams, but molyneux really doesn't help himself

I believe the article was last year, but I don't know if it was finished. Peter is so full of shit and I can't believe anyone would defend that moron.

I remember the topic where a journalist went in on him, and people were like POOR MOLLY HE'S JUST ENTHUSIASTIC

No that dude is snake oil selling and he honestly doesn't give a shit about his consumers behind making money. He just hides it beyond his quirky style and shrugging with a sad face.

If you forgot to give a person compensation until a journalist from Eurogamer reminded you about doing so, you didn't actually forget. You just didn't care.

CHC

haha oh god, everything about it so hilariously anticlimactic considering the grandiosity of the promise.

Bad7667

I should go back and watch the initial kickstarter video but im pretty sure thats how he pitched Godus. It was going to be a Populous spiritual successor.

Instead it's nothing like it and, like you said, seems to be designed for mobile with IAPs.

Wished I never backed it.

It's clearly only a matter of time until Godus is shut down altogether. I seriously doubt it has been a success and they've been trying to move on for a while.

Springy

What an incredibly wretched situation. I feel immense empathy for any good people who've worked for 22cans since its inception whose faith in Peter Molyneux has put their livelihood in jeopardy.

Lacks SHOCKING NEWS in the title. Whenever Inafune is feeling down from all the Mighty Number 9 criticism, he can at least feel better by remembering Molyneux exists and he's not him.

Mikeside

RPS needs to do another interview with Peter..

I'm no fan of Peter (anymore) and he deserved to be exposed but John Walker was a total cunt with that interview. I really lost respect for him that day. He was definitely posturing and trying to make a name for himself with such hard hitting Paxman bullshit

Nikodemos

Man, Peter Molyneux fell so hard from his days of glory.

Ironically, you could see signs of overpromising 20 years ago. Remember back in Dungeon Keeper's early info when skeletons and ghosts didn't have to eat? Remember how ghosts were supposed to be able to pass through walls and be immune to physical damage (including boulder traps)? Remember how you were supposed to be able to re-fill already-digged dirt by using fully-powered Tremors?

finley83

Banned
I'm no fan of Peter (anymore) and he deserved to be exposed but John Walker was a total cunt with that interview. I really lost respect for him that day. He was definitely posturing and trying to make a name for himself with such hard hitting Paxman bullshit

Absolutely this. Acted like a complete arsehole. Actually stopped reading EPS after that.

Kusagari

Frauds like Molyneux deserve to be treated like that in interviews.

r1chard

Godus seems like a real example of a high profile Kickstarter floundering.
I think it all went sour when the first version was released and backers unanimously responded with serious criticism of the core click-to-collect game mechanic and Molyneux refused to listen. That alone turned away a bunch of backers who would otherwise have been enthusiastic supporters of the game. Then there was the time 22cans said they were looking into adding microtransaction support. That explained that click-click-click shit he refused to remove. And other things that basically amounted to us slowly realising we weren't getting the game we backed (Populous but with new graphics).

Top Bottom