• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 |OT| The Blue Bomba

It just seems like the genuine impressions are sort of getting lost in the noise of all the trolling and gloating. Not saying negative impressions are insincere or invalid, because the game is disappointing, but I've never seen an "OK" game quite so universally trashed.

Yeah, I downloaded the game expecting an absolute shitpile and...it's totally fine? The controls actually feel good? After playing for a while I'm 100% convinced that the narrative from the way the kickstarter and development went is colouring the way reviews have gone. After years of "everything gets at least a 75" I refuse to believe that reviewers have suddenly become such level design experts and sticklers that they're taking this game to task over that. There's no way it deserves the dog piling it's receiving.

chrono01

Jesus that quote.

What on earth happened here? I don't understand why the 7 day test looks better than the retail game.
It's definitely depressing. :(

The bigger insult to me than it looking worse is that we as backers don't even get to know why.
Agreed.

During the Twitch launch stream earlier today, I was hoping they would answer this question (since I saw it spammed numerous times in the chat), but they completely disregarded it. Kind of frustrating really.

In any case, now that PSN has been updated, I guess I'll give the game a try later this evening. I'm definitely soured from the whole Kickstarter experience, but I'm hopeful I can still enjoy at least a few parts of it.

fernoca

does it work poorly?

that's not a scam, that's just failure. a scam would mean they intended to make you pay for a wii u version with no intention of delivering it
Yeah.
Aside the lower resolution and the longer loadings, the Wii U version is the same as the others. Stutter, drops in framerate, crashes, glitches included.

Granted, I haven't experienced most of that on mine (Wii U), outside the long loadings and some stutter.

Right before starting, I turned off blur and voices and turned on the retro soundtrack. So maybe that's why my experience hasn't been as bad as some. XD

I posted this in the Mighty No. 9 review thread, but I figured I'd post it again here.

The Kickstarter update where they announced the Unreal demonstration (seven days work), shown in the below .gif/video below:

D48ZJXE.gif

Unreal Demonstration Video

they said this:

Kickstarter Update (Scroll down a bit until you reach the "Graphics Engine!" section)

"Whattaya think? Someday we will look back on this and laugh at how primitive it looks, but for now, for only one week of test work, it's pretty darn cool, don't ya think? :D"

I'm looking back on this, but I'm definitely not laughing. Well, I am, but not for the reason they intended. :/
Damn, I've posted this GIF many times, but I forgot that was the comment attached to it

-_-

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
It's definitely depressing. :(

Agreed.

During the Twitch launch stream earlier today, I was hoping they would answer this question (since I saw it spammed numerous times in the chat), but they completely disregarded it. Kind of frustrating really.

In any case, now that PSN has been updated, I guess I'll give the game a try later this evening. I'm definitely soured from the whole Kickstarter experience, but I'm hopeful I can still enjoy at least a few parts of it.

Didn't even get to be there to ask anything, again last minute communication unless I'm fucking up the timezones but to me it seemed like the stream wasn't even announced 24 hours prior. Dodgy as always with this kickstarter.

So I don't completely hate the game. I do think the majority of the levels are forgettable, the visuals are lifeless and boring, and the writing is just horrible but dashing is fun and it pretty much saves the game for me from being a waste of time. I like doing combos off of enemies.

Has anyone found out how to switch Beck's outfit to the retro one?

chrono01

Didn't even get to be there to ask anything, again last minute communication unless I'm fucking up the timezones but to me it seemed like the stream wasn't even announced 24 hours prior. Dodgy as always with this kickstarter.
Nope, you didn't. I learned of it, as well, when the stream was already going (around 30 minutes into it). They gave us maybe an hour or so, judging from the Kickstarter email, until it went live.

Alienous

If you spent $4,000,000 funding 100 Megaman passion projects at $40,000 each I wonder how many would be better than Mighty No. 9.

GeekyDad

I look forward to next year when everyone is singing the game's praise and how they were the sole voice of reason, the only voice in the wilderness singing of how it was so unjustly under-rated.

I'll shit my pants if the next Sonic game is even as good as Mighty No. 9.

If one wants to get technical, Boom: Fire and Ice is the next Sonic game coming. So don't worry about staining your pants.

That said, I think it also applies towards Sonic Team's next Sonic title too.

This. We're talking about a big company that can't even code a decent free smartphone game out of its main mascot.

To say nothing of the fact it has performed so poorly, Sega is pulling the plug on the game when it's barely been available worldwide for a year...

Oh right, this be the Mighty No. 9 OT.

I posted this in the Mighty No. 9 review thread, but I figured I'd post it again here.

The Kickstarter update where they announced the Unreal demonstration (seven days work), shown in the below .gif/video below:

D48ZJXE.gif

they said this:

Kickstarter Update (Scroll down a bit until you reach the "Graphics Engine!" section)

"Whattaya think? Someday we will look back on this and laugh at how primitive it looks, but for now, for only one week of test work, it's pretty darn cool, don't ya think? :D"

I'm looking back on this, but I'm definitely not laughing. Well, I am, but not for the reason they intended. :/

Rtd0qf0.gif

Kinda shocked how poor this game looks.

and how it feels, the voice acting.. the movement, it's very very boring and bad/clunky!
you don't get any joy playing, it's not hard (in normal), it's not fast.. it's just bad, not even mediocre , it's bad.

I guess this is my biggest disappointment from a kickstarter, I will never trust Inafune again.

Slime

Banned
It's an issue of expectations. Some of us even put hundreds of dollars into the game and didn't get anything remotely similar to what we expected.

Of course I don't blame anyone but myself for how much I put into it, but I don't feel like this is the product that was pitched.

I guess with all the delays (and my gradually lowering expectations ever since that WIP clip), it's easy for me to forget that at one point I was hoping this would at least be on the level of MM 9 and 10. I also only put like 84 cents into it over what I'd typically pay at retail.

I think I'm just tired of internet pile-ons. Then again I suppose with the story of this game's development, this is was one of those situations where it was inevitable if it didn't absolutely surprise everybody, and people are definitely justified in being disappointed.

MrHoot

and how it feels, the voice acting.. the movement, it's very very boring and bad/clunky!
you don't get any joy playing, it's not hard (in normal), it's not fast.. it's just bad, not even mediocre , it's bad.

I guess this is my biggest disappointment from a kickstarter, I will never trust Inafune again.

I think the movement is the one thing that works pretty okay. Level design doesn't always exploit it fully but definitively feels responsive tho

Whizkid7

I'm waiting for the game to be the abomination everyone seems to be claiming it is and it...hasn't been? Has the Internet lied to me?!

No but seriously it's okay. I'm enjoying it at least. Though I can understand 'okay' not being enough for some. Really getting tired of some of the more bombastic complaining though...

Sorry but reading through this thread, I still don't get the issue. What exactly were people expecting? I fail to see how this game is "OK" or even "average". What would people actually put into this game to make it "amazing". It has evergthing a Megaman style game should but it's apparently average. It's not lacking in design and delievered on it's initial concept.

I get the feeling people expect Kickstarter games to be the next big thing as opposed to just being an all around solid action platformer.

Also that gif is a bad example. It doesn't represent the style of these games in anyway. It's far to mature in it's design. It's not a graphics downgrade but a change in art direction. It's brighter, more colourful and fits with a more positive attitude.

Just played 4 levels and 2 to completion. I think this might be the package of terrible design decisions of 90's games (cheap enemy placements, instant KO obstacles everywhere, and annoying VA). This is worse than Sonic 4 Episode 1!
Also I agree Ray is the best boss so far.

D48ZJXE.gif

they said this:

Holy shit, the self-drag by Comcept

My early impressions are this feels like a 3DS eShop game ported to modern consoles. The lack of ambition is pretty staggering. But I want to play more to see if it improves or alternately to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Seik

Banned
So after hard resetting my Wii U six times because it freezes exactly at the same loading every time after the intro, I gave up and asked a refund to Amazon.

That was something.

mrmickfran

You know what? I'll go out and say it.

The gameplay itself is actually pretty solid.

All they have to do is fix that Godawful framerate and the main gameplay would be pretty good.

Everything else is up in the air though

Berordn

Ray's actually really fun to play, and the first time this supposed combo gameplay ever seemed to actually mean anything worthwhile.

Still falls short, since the levels are still basically just horizontal runways, but she at least doesn't have the same issue that Beck does with charging enemies.

Aeana

One of the relatively minor things that's bugging me is how hits seem to have no impact at all. Especially on bosses. In the grand scheme of things it isn't a big deal but I also think it would go a long way toward helping the feel of the game if it were changed.

Top Bottom