• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War won't have multiplayer, won't be Kratos' final game

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The lack of multiplayer probably isn't shocking given they're rebooting the series and adding in a bunch of side content to pad out the length of the game to presumably match today's expected minimums for $60.

The other one might be more surprising to people, but I get the sense this will be Kratos' series for the foreseeable future.

GameTransfers said:

Cory Barlog, director of the new God of War series, in an interview with Levelup website has indeed said that there will be no multiplayer feature in this new title. Since he has confirmed the absence of this feature, we can trust that Sony Santa Monica will use all its efforts and resources on developing a personal experience, but of a very good quality and, above all, change the course of the series.

In related news, the new God of War will not be the last game of Kratos. When Sony showed that the new God of War of Kratos was focused on the relationship with his child, many thought it would be a game handover where we would have to say goodbye to the God of War. Fortunately, things will not go well, since this God of War will not be the last of Kratos.

The director of the game also confirmed what was said above and stated that, contrary to what many may think, we will control Krato throughout the game. However, in God of War, we will be able to give orders to the son of Kratos to attack an enemy or turn a few things.

It is important to note that the son of Kratos will not be an obstacle to the visceral combat. In this presentation Barlog said that the boy is perfectly capable of taking care of himself, and so we will not have to stop while attacking an enemy to save his son.

In this new God of War, Kratos will be well aware of its past, although this remains a mystery to his son.

Source: http://gametransfers.com/new-god-of-war-will-not-include-multiplayer-neither-be-last-game-of-kratos/

I guess the Power Stone stuff in Ascension didn't pan out for them. That's fine, a game like this doesn't need multiplayer modes.

More Kratos. Joy.

Norse Kratos is tolerable though, so it's easy to forgive based on what we've seen so far.

Good to have confirmation that Kratos won't die, but it still doesn't remove the possibility of him becoming the villain :p

Multiplayer in Ascension was meh and this game is different from Ascension so they would have to make up a completely new multiplayer mode that might have looked like the one in Ryse. I haven no issues as long as they make a campaign that is meaty and has replay value.

bede-x

No multiplayer is what I want to hear from more developers. Next give us no microtransactions, no DLC and no pointless filler content.

More Norse Kratos sounds good to me.

And allows multiple games with the son before the hand-off, which will only make it more impactful.

Kalentan

I guess Kratos won't stop until he hunts down every known religious pantheon in the world. Egypt is next perhaps?

Well we don't really know if he's going to go killing all of the Norse Gods. That would seem like a regression of his character, which it seems they're trying to avoid.

Thank god. Sony is killing it with all their SP games.

Also good to see AAA-games can be SP only again. Last gen it seemed everything needed tacked on multiplayer, even games like Bioshock.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Oh geez let's hope they absolutely nail Kratos, what they showed at least let me hope despite that I personally would have preferred to have someone new.
But sure if they make Kratos interesting enough I guess it's not the worst.
In case though Kratos falls flat.... oh boy. I hope the succeed.

ffvorax

Good.
But more Kratos maybe is not what he meant... maybe we will have a new character for the franchise (the son grown up?), or maybe some plot twist (kratos became the villain for the next games).

We will see... :)

Tapejara

I'm happy Sony is embracing SP-only games. Not every single game on Earth needs multiplayer.

I feel like Sony learned its lesson from last gen. They had a lot of first party multiplayer games, and despite there being quite a few good ones, most of them underperformed. They seem to stick to smaller, downloadable titles for multiplayer now.

They're just saying this so everyone will be shocked when Kratos dies at the end and you take control of his son.

I have no idea what I'm talking about.

OR DO I!?

No, I don't.

Good. Multiplayer would be a waste of resources, and if the brief snippet of the Kratos we saw in the demo was representative then I'd gladly see more of him after this instalment.

jett

D-Member
I feel like the part about it not being Kratos's final game is some sort of speculation from the website. There's no source for that. I can't imagine Cory Balrog confirming or denying such information.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I get the sense we'll need a GAF emotional support group for when Kratos is unveiled as the star of God of War 2.

Loudninja

Is goal is not about the gods.
  • A New Beginning - His vengeance against the gods of Olympus far behind him, Kratos now lives as a man in the lands of Norse Gods and monsters. It is in this harsh, unforgiving world that he must fight to survive... and teach his son to do the same
  • Second Chances - As mentor and protector to a son determined to earn his respect, Kratos is faced with an unexpected opportunity to master the rage that has long defined him. Questioning the dark lineage he's passed on to his son, he hopes to make amends for the shortcomings of his past
  • Midgard and Beyond - Set within the untamed forests, mountains, and realms of Norse lore, God of War features a distinctly new setting with its own pantheon of creatures, monsters, and gods
  • Vicious, Physical Combat - With an intimate, over-the-shoulder free camera that brings the action closer than ever, combat in God of War is up close, frenetic, and unflinching. Kratos' axe - powerful, magic and multi-faceted - is a brutal weapon as well as a versatile tool for exploration
https://godofwar.playstation.com/

kromeo

I was so sure new serious GOW would have him dying at the end and the kid taking his axe, must be saving that for the sequel

bunkitz

Knowing that it won't be Kratos' last game makes me even more curious as to how they'll handle the boy's development. Will he simply continue to grow and fight alongside his father in the sequel? That would be pretty cool, in my opinion. I can't see them killing him off too, of course, seeing as how we're meant to teach the kid and all that jazz.

Norse Kratos is tolerable though, so it's easy to forgive based on what we've seen so far.

We have seen an extremely thin slice of the game. It's still within the realm of possibility that his son actually dies in the introduction and Kratos goes full rage mode on everything.

Besides that, I would still rather have a new character entirely.

Edit: Actually I had not seen anything about the game outside of the E3 footage so yeah, big L on me for this.

Why are people saying Norse Kratos. It's the same Kratos he is still a spartan it's a continuation not a reboot

Easier distinction between the two.

I'm not into multiplayer games, Uncharted 4 is one of my favourite game this gen and I didn't even touch the mp. God of War doesn't need mp BUT I really liked in Ascension, wouldn't mind if it come back but then again, I don't care much.

Kalentan

We have seen an extremely thin slice of the game. It's still within the realm of possibility that his son actually dies in the introduction and Kratos goes full rage mode on everything.

Not really. Considering that whole exp and learning stuff you see in the trailer, relates to the son, not Kratos. Why have that system in there if the son will just die soon after? They also have an entire button in the game dedicated to telling the kid what to do.

Hmm I kinda liked the Ascension MP, played it for a good couple months so sad to see it not return.

I can totally understand SSM wanting to craft a high quality SP though, that's where the game shines most anyway.

Top Bottom