• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Battlefield 1 (EA Play Alpha) Gameplay from LevelCap, JackFrags, and More

meppi

The bolt action rifles being exclusive to the sniper class really stinks :/

That's one of the best decisions they have made in this game.
I'm so tired of everyone using DMR's and snipers no matter which class they choose.
BF4 was nothing but pew pew pew at times.

I'm so tired of everyone using DMR's and snipers no matter which class they choose.
What? If anything,bolt action rifles might have prevented all the pew pew pew. You can't run around in bf4 with sniper rifles when you play as any other class besides recon. The heavy presence of Semi automatic rifles is just going to further that. And a DMR is not the same as a bolt action rifle.

Cartho

I think his point was probably that Bolt Action rifles are very skill based. They don't have to be sniper rifles in terms of range and accuracy, but their single shot with a lengthy time between each shot style makes them a heck of a lot more skill based than, say, an assault rifle where you can spray at pretty long distances and win.

The fact is, fully automatic weapons weren't very common in WW1 and a lot of people I think were looking forward to going back to a slower paced, more considered style, rather than just loading up with an SMG and mowing people down non stop.

I think his point was probably that Bolt Action rifles are very skill based. They don't have to be sniper rifles in terms of range and accuracy, but their single shot with a lengthy time between each shot style makes them a heck of a lot more skill based than, say, an assault rifle where you can spray at pretty long distances and win.

The fact is, fully automatic weapons weren't very common in WW1 and a lot of people I think we're looking forward to going back to a slower paced, more considered style, rather than just loading up with an SMG and mowing people down non stop.
Exactly. And if I get up close and miss, and if the person I'm engaged with has an SMG, he should then have the upper hand.

The JackFrags Mythbusting video is easily the best of the ones in the OP, it shows a lot of stuff we didn't see in the E3 coverage.

VariantX

Exactly how I feel. It just blurs class lines and it diminishes the value of their roles because everyone can do everything reasonably well thanks to all kit weapons. Can't count how many tines I counter sniped recons as classes other than damned recons.

SMG

I think it's time for BF to move away from Conquest mode as default.
Slowly raising a flag when the map is so destroyable consent fit.

Disappointed in the lack of ps4 gameplay, hell console gameplay in general. When well over 50% of revenue comes from them it would be appreciated to give at least equal shine when promoting.

Stiler

Having non-scoped botl actions open to other classes (was like this in bf1942 with the engineer getting them) wouldn't suddenly make it like that.

Non-scoped means they won't be using them at the longer ranges like snipers and on top of this because they are "Available" doesn't mean everyone will use them, there'll still be plenty of people using the classes unique weapons instead.

Having them open just means that it would make them more numerious and open to people who wanted to use the main weapon of ww1 without being stuck as a sniper or that role.

Why would they advertise their game with a version that looks worse?
Because not everyone has a rig? Or maybe because one version doesn't reflect all the other versions? I mean not all people are stupid enough to think the pc and consoles versions are going to look the same.

Remember most of these streamers were a part of the EA ronku campaign for bf4, they are not independant fans, they are message steerers.

Footage is useful but take their opinions with a huge grain of salt. Jackfrags was praising bf4 for being extremely polished before release (yeah...)

@ the digital foundry video: I notice WAY less pop in here than in the levelcap footage from last week. Maybe that guy was playing on the automatic settings or so. The draw distance seems a lot more solid in this DF footage

TheRed

Remember most of these streamers were a part of the EA ronku campaign for bf4, they are not independant fans, they are message steerers.

Footage is useful but take their opinions with a huge grain of salt. Jackfrags was praising bf4 for being extremely polished before release (yeah...)

@ the digital foundry video: I notice WAY less pop in here than in the levelcap footage from last week. Maybe that guy was playing on the automatic settings or so. The draw distance seems a lot more solid in this DF footage
Yeah, I was thinking about that too, they disgusted me with their BF4 videos acting like everything was great when all I got was laggy and buggy ass games. Can't really trust their opinions, but new footage is always nice.

Yup.

IMACOMPUTA

RE: the Digital Foundry video -- how is 100% res scale at 1440p 5k ? ...100% res scale of 1440p is 1440p, no?

This hurts my brain.

brennok

Neo Member
Too many LMGs and SMGs for me. I am thinking this might be the BF I skip.

I wanted a break from the modern LMG and SMG spam and it looks like it will be more of the same. The only hope is that DICE finally listens and offers servers options on limiting weapons. Then maybe we will see some rifle only servers like the good old days of COD1 and COD2. Of course the fact that they are class limited makes this chance even slimmer.

I think it's time for BF to move away from Conquest mode as default.
Slowly raising a flag when the map is so destroyable consent fit.

EA moved away from conquest 10 years ago

they 've made maybe one good conquest map in all the bf games since bc2 combined

Too many LMGs and SMGs for me. I am thinking this might be the BF I skip.

I wanted a break from the modern LMG and SMG spam and it looks like it will be more of the same. The only hope is that DICE finally listens and offers servers options on limiting weapons. Then maybe we will see some rifle only servers like the good old days of COD1 and COD2. Of course the fact that they are class limited makes this chance even slimmer.
I'm in a similar boat regarding all of the automatic weapons ,but if you don't know there is another game based in WW1 called Verdun out on PC and it's also coming to the consoles on August 30th. The main weapons are bolt action rifles. I'm planning on getting both BF1 and Verdun :)

Top Bottom