• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man charged with two rapes gets one day in jail

Status
Not open for further replies.
USA Today

A former Indiana University student charged with raping two women will get off with a year of probation and one day in jail, WXIN reports.

John Enochs took a plea deal and was sentenced Thursday, pleading guilty to misdemeanor battery. According to the New York Daily News, it's unclear why prosecutors decided to drop the rape charges — felonies punishable by up to 16 years in prison — against Enochs.

A woman says she was at an April 2015 party at the Delta Tau Delta fraternity when she went inside to use the restroom, WISH reports. She says the next thing she remembers is being naked and alone with an unknown man having sex with her. She says she told him to stop multiple times, but he wouldn't. She suffered a laceration to her genitals in the attack.

Authorities say security video showed Enochs enter the room with the victim and leave 24 minutes later. Police found a similar case from 2013, and that victim agreed to work with authorities; DNA evidence, eyewitness statements and IDs from the women led in September to the two rape charges against Enochs.

Why did the prosecutor just bow out, basically?

I have found more information:

Source is people.com... Take it for as it is, I guess.

"Neither case, standing alone, presented sufficient evidence to prove rape," the statement, from the Monroe County, Indiana, prosecutor's office, reads.

According to the statement, further "evidentiary problems" drove the decision to pursue the plea deal with John Enochs. Enochs was sentenced June 23 to one year of probation for misdemeanor battery with moderate bodily injury in the 2015 case, after having already served one day in jail.

I still think its a major slap in the faces of the women. If there wasn't enough evidence, still, go after him. Now these women feel like no one will back them. Let the trial happen. ETC.

This is also severely lowers the perception of charges for rape. Can't believe it can be brought down to that much. One day is basically just the biggest asshole move for a plea deal ever.

Unless it was a case where a piece of their critical evidence was tainted or one/both of the women suddenly refused to testify, it is hard to understand this.

Why did the prosecutor just bow out, basically?

It says in the article that he took a pea deal, so obviously that's why the charges were dropped. This is how the system generally works. This is very different than the Turner case, which the article tries to compare against, where the defendant was actually convicted of pretty severe crimes and got a light sentencing.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so they had DNA and video tape of him walking into and out of the scene of the crime, and they still gave him one day in jail.

unbelievable

Ploid 3.0

Do these judges or whoever is in charge of the ruling not realize how devastating being raped is for people? It's not some small thing like not paying a bill or breaking a window.

Cat Party

You guys might want to read the article from People. It explains exactly why he got off light. They didn't have the evidence to convict, and there was contradictory evidence in both cases. Maybe the prosecutor/police fucked up the investigation, but this isn't a case like the Stanford one at all.

TS-08

Going ahead with a trial even if the prosecutor is confident the evidence is insufficient is not only a bad idea in that it could end up with the defendant not being found guilty of anything, but it also may be a technical violation of the ethical rules. That's not really the best suggestion, OP.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Prosecutors weren't confident on securing a sentence based on rape so he was offered a plea deal.

It shows that he felt guilty and allowed them to prosecute him for something.

I'd they weren't confident then they probably felt his case had a high likelihood of being thrown out.

Edit:

Too further clarify this way his image and record to be tarnished rather than giving him the clout to victimize himself.

You guys might want to read the article from People. It explains exactly why he got off light. They didn't have the evidence to convict, and there was contradictory evidence in both cases. Maybe the prosecutor/police fucked up the investigation, but this isn't a case like the Stanford one at all.

Link? The source in OP is scarce on details.

Piecake

Only reason I can think is if they knew they had no tangible evidence and that a conviction is unlikely.

Don't a lot of he said she said rape cases go to trial? The evidence presented in the OP seems like it is a lot more than just he said she said as well.

sounds fair. he had to have a shitty prison lunch for one rape, and a terrible prison dinner for the other. salisbury steak, ugh.

If the evidence wasn't there then I guess I'm not sure what people are expecting here. If he did do it then this is ultra shitty but at least on probation he wouldn't even be able to be involved in something like this again without getting into deep shit right?

here is the article from people.com
The Indiana prosecutor's office that has drawn criticism for giving a former Indiana University student accused in two rape cases a plea deal giving him one day in jail and one year probation has issued a statement explaining its rationale.

"Neither case, standing alone, presented sufficient evidence to prove rape," the statement, from the Monroe County, Indiana, prosecutor's office, reads.

According to the statement, further "evidentiary problems" drove the decision to pursue the plea deal with John Enochs. Enochs was sentenced June 23 to one year of probation for misdemeanor battery with moderate bodily injury in the 2015 case, after having already served one day in jail.

The 2013 case was dropped altogether. Although Enochs pleaded guilty in the 2015 case to a felony, the judge made the decision to enter it as a misdemeanor.

Robert Miller, the chief deputy prosecuting attorney in Monroe County, tells PEOPLE his office attempted to speak with the alleged victims before the plea deal. The alleged victim in the 2015 case "never returned our calls." Regarding the alleged victim in the 2013 case, Miller says, "We exchanged messages but it didn't work out and we were up against a deadline."

• Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

In the 2015 case, the alleged victim told authorities she was attacked by an unknown assailant at the Delta Tau Delta fraternity house, according to court documents cited by Fox59. Security video later showed Enochs entering the room with the victim.

Investigation of the 2015 case led investigators to the 2013 accusation, which then led to Enochs's arrest.

Statement: 'Neither Case, Standing Alone, Presented Sufficient Evidence to Prove Rape'
"This case presented a very unusual set of circumstances in that we had two unrelated accusations two years apart," the prosecutor's office said in its statement. "That was an important consideration in our initial decision to charge."

"However, under the law, a jury considering one case would not be allowed to know about the other. After the case(s) was filed, evidence continued to be developed that lead us to the conclusion that neither case, standing alone, presented sufficient evidence to prove rape."

"In the older case, the complaining witness had no specific recollection of the events; the few witnesses could not recall important details due to the passage of time and the consumption of alcohol; and the complaining witness’s decision to prosecute came two years after the event which severely hindered the investigation," the statement said.

It added, "There were also photographs that contradicted the assertion that the complaining witness was incapable of engaging in consensual activity shortly before the alleged assault. This is important because the complaint was that she was 'unaware' that the sex was occurring due to her consumption of alcohol."

"The more recent case had similar evidentiary problems," the prosector's office said. "In that case there is video evidence of activities of the complaining witness, before and after the alleged assault, which does not support the assertion of a forcible rape, which was the charge in this instance. There is also DNA evidence that is problematic, and made it impossible for us to prove that the defendant was the cause of her injury.

The statement concluded: "This turn of events was frustrating for us as prosecutors, due to the fact that there were two complaints against the defendant. That fact is the reason we continued to pursue accountability on his part which lead to this plea agreement."

Enochs's case has received attention following a controversial six-month sentence given to former Stanford University swimmer Brock Turner for the sexual assault of an unconscious, intoxicated woman outside of an on-campus fraternity party in January 2015.

The judge dropped his felony charge down to a misdemeanor so he really did get a slap on the wrist. If he did in fact do what was alleged by two different women then their is a good chance do it again.

Don't a lot of he said she said rape cases go to trial? The evidence presented in the OP seems like it is a lot more than just he said she said as well.

Roughly 30% of reported rapists are tried, and 30% of those are convicted. As far as violent felonies go in general, roughly 40% go to trial with 60% of those convicted (although much higher with murder, and much lower with assault). Rape is generally difficult to prove and plea bargains are pushed because of this.

Ri'Orius

They go to trial, and often lose. And it sounds like the evidence in question wasn't particularly helpful to the prosecutors:

[Regarding the 2013 case,] "There were also photographs that contradicted the assertion that the complaining witness was incapable of engaging in consensual activity shortly before the alleged assault. This is important because the complaint was that she was 'unaware' that the sex was occurring due to her consumption of alcohol."

"The more recent case had similar evidentiary problems," the prosector's office said. "In that case there is video evidence of activities of the complaining witness, before and after the alleged assault, which does not support the assertion of a forcible rape, which was the charge in this instance. There is also DNA evidence that is problematic, and made it impossible for us to prove that the defendant was the cause of her injury.

What I'm wondering about is whether there was an alternative charge to "forcible rape" that could have been brought in the second case if the evidence didn't support it. Is there nothing between "forcible rape" and "misdemeanor battery"?

The other thing that stuck out to me is this:

The 2013 case was dropped altogether. Although Enochs pleaded guilty in the 2015 case to a felony, the judge made the decision to enter it as a misdemeanor.

If the plea deal said "felony," why the hell did the judge decide to downgrade it?

Chumly

I missed that part. That's ridiculous. I thought he had plead to a misdemeanor.
He did plead to a misdemeanor. That's what the local Fox News article says. I can't find anything supporting that the judge reduced the plea charge other than the random people.com comment. The local news specifically says he plead guilty to the misdemeanor.

Chumly

When is the testimony from two victims "not enough evidence"? Fark let the women tell their story and let a jury decide. Bs is bs.
Because their is video evidence that contradicts it??? The people.com article is pretty straight forward why they didn't continue.

Dali

The feeling I get is basically the judges in this case and the Stanford case either are rapists themselves or can very easily put themselves in the shoes of a rapist.

Edit: nvm apparently just the Stanford judge.

Ronin Ray

Why are Frats and Sororities still a thing in 2016?

This is a sad story and this country has a real problem with the way rape victims are treated.

TS-08

When is the testimony from two victims "not enough evidence"? Fark let the women tell their story and let a jury decide. Bs is bs.

Each woman's testimony would only pertain to her case. The juries in each case would not be allowed to hear evidence of the other allegation.

Dalek

Each woman's testimony would only pertain to her case. The juries in each case would not be allowed to hear evidence of the other allegation.

Which makes sense I guess in the grand scheme of the legal system-but in the common sense scenario is infuriating.

ApharmdX

Banned
Roughly 30% of reported rapists are tried, and 30% of those are convicted. As far as violent felonies go in general, roughly 40% go to trial with 60% of those convicted (although much higher with murder, and much lower with assault). Rape is generally difficult to prove and plea bargains are pushed because of this.

The numbers for rape look low, and then when you factor in unreported rape, the number of rapists convicted is quite low. But like you say, rape is difficult to prove. You can have DNA evidence and video evidence that places the victim with the accused, and that still isn't necessarily enough to convict, because it comes down to consent.

These stories are heartbreaking but, in order to reduce the number of innocent people jailed for rapes they didn't commit, the high burden of proof is probably necessary.

Amory

If he raped anyone, he's a piece of shit and obviously got off far too easily

But if the prosecutor didn't have the evidence to get them convicted in either case, I guess there's not much that can be done. I'm sure they didn't just say ehhh, not worth my time

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
HuffPo has an article with the details of the issues with the cases

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/john-enochs-indiana-rape-cases_us_57718b56e4b017b379f6f725

The 2015 Rape Report

In April 2015, a woman reported to IU police that she had been raped by an unknown male at the Delta Tau Delta fraternity house, according to a probable cause affidavit HuffPost obtained.

The woman described being in a courtyard with friends before going inside to find a bathroom. The next thing she remembered was being “in a private room, naked, with an unknown male having sex with her,” court records say.

Surveillance footage from the frat house shows the woman leaving the room after 24 minutes, interacting with two men in the hallway, and then going into a bathroom, where her friends eventually found her, according to the probable cause affidavit.

The woman’s friends said she told them she wasn’t sure how she ended up in that private room. She told them, “I kept saying no,” and “I kept trying to leave but he kept making me stay by pushing me down,” the affidavit says. They soon got a cab to leave the DTD house and took the woman to get a rape kit performed at the hospital.

On April 21, 2015, the alleged victim identified Enochs in a photo lineup. The house manager had also identified Enochs in security video. A forensic report later showed Enochs’ DNA had been found on the woman, according to the probable cause affidavit.

However, Liell said the probable cause affidavit omitted a few details from the evening. She says the surveillance footage shows the alleged victim embracing and possibly kissing another man after leaving the room she was in with Enochs. Further, Liell said, the probable cause affidavit failed to mention that the rape kit revealed DNA from two other men had been found on the woman.

Monroe County Chief Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Robert T. Miller told HuffPost both of those claims from Liell are accurate, and were part of the decision to drop the rape charge in the 2015 case. Those two issues “made it impossible for us to prove that the defendant was the cause of her injury,” Miller said in a statement.

Jeffrey Herman, the woman’s attorney, said there had not been a follow-up to the initial DNA test.

“My client had a boyfriend at the time and they failed to check to see whether it was his DNA, nor did they check to see if it was a DNA from the bed where she was sexually assaulted,” he said.

Miller told People magazine that the alleged victim never returned the department’s calls. Through her lawyer, the woman told HuffPost she disputed that claim.

Miller told HuffPost that their sex crimes deputy made multiple calls to the woman’s mother asking for the victim to call them back.

“We never spoke to the victim,” he said. “We spoke to the mother about this just a short time ago and she told us that the victim’s phone was broken for a part of that time and that we didn’t tell her it was urgent.”

The 2013 Rape Report

The woman in the previous case went to the DTD house around 5 p.m. on Oct. 12, 2013, to have drinks before a Greek life dance, the probable cause affidavit and the civil lawsuit both state. Other members of her sorority, Delta Zeta, were with her. Witnesses told police they went back to the DZ house an hour later to get ready for the dance.

The woman said she did not remember what happened between about 6:30 p.m. and 11 p.m. that night. The last thing she says she can remember is taking photos in a courtyard with Enochs, according to the probable cause affidavit.

Two witnesses told police they had seen through a window about an hour later that Enochs was having sex with the woman. One witness said the woman appeared to be asleep, and had her eyes closed as she lay on the bed.

Enochs sent the woman texts around 7 p.m. stating, “I need to find my boxers,” and “This is so uncomfortable.” The woman’s friends woke her up when they returned from the dance around 10:25 p.m. She then replied to Enochs via text, writing “John what the fuck happened” and saying the last thing she remembered was being at the frat house.

“Damn idk,” he replied, according to court records. “You like blacked out we didn’t even go to the barn dance once yoi passed out I came back to delts [sic].”

The probable cause affidavit said that on Oct. 21, 2013, the woman reported to campus police that she had been sexually assaulted, and did not want to pursue charges at the time. But Liell claimed that the woman never told police that she was raped, which Miller said was accurate.

Liell added that the woman’s assertion that she was blackout drunk was contradicted by photos taken that night. Miller also agreed with that claim from Liell.

“This is important because the complaint was that she was ‘unaware’ that the sex was occurring due to her consumption of alcohol,” Miller said.

The photos in question are included in the court documents that HuffPost obtained. They show the woman and Enochs posing together behind the sorority house, but the resolution is so poor that it’s very difficult to identify either person or see details of their facial expressions.

Nevertheless, the photos caused a delay in investigating the 2013 case, and the video surveillance footage and DNA results in the 2015 case presented “evidentiary problems” that Miller said his office could not overcome.

“This case presented a very unusual set of circumstances in that we had two unrelated accusations, two years apart,” Miller said. “That was an important consideration in our initial decision to charge. However, under the law, a jury considering one case would not be allowed to know about the other. After the case(s) was filed, evidence continued to be developed that lead us to the conclusion that neither case, standing alone, presented sufficient evidence to prove rape.”

Talks about the lawsuits against the university as well (don't want to post the whole article)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

i heard something like 90% dont even make it this far. let alone someone getting charged and actually convicted of anything. like <1% even end in an actual rape conviction.

Subtle

So it seems like in the 2015 case, the victim was blacked and had sex with multiple men, so it wasn't enough to prosecute Enoch himself. The 2013 case seems like bs, tho. I can take a selfie and still be blacked out. Sad how messy rape cases are. A lot of these things really can't be decided in the court room. That's why we need strong support systems and a total change in Greek life culture.

The numbers for rape look low, and then when you factor in unreported rape, the number of rapists convicted is quite low.

It is, and rape is noticeably under-reported compared to other violent crimes, probably due to the social stigmas involved. Overall rates for violent crime are ~50%. For serious violent crimes, such as aggravated assault and robbery, the estimate is as low as 40%. Meanwhile, ~60% of rape goes unreported. There's obviously a degree of conjecture involved, so it's difficult to be certain, but these are the DOJ's Bureau of Justice Statistic's figures. Some researchers suggest that as much as 90% of rape incidents are unreported, but I give them less credence than the processes used by DOJ.

muu

The numbers for rape look low, and then when you factor in unreported rape, the number of rapists convicted is quite low. But like you say, rape is difficult to prove. You can have DNA evidence and video evidence that places the victim with the accused, and that still isn't necessarily enough to convict, because it comes down to consent.

These stories are heartbreaking but, in order to reduce the number of innocent people jailed for rapes they didn't commit, the high burden of proof is probably necessary.

The current system doesn't work out for anyone. People that legitimately have a case have an insurmountable amount of evidence they need to provide; meanwhile, accusations are easy and reputations can be easily tarnished for life, whether there's a case or not.

What...

testimony from 2 people is not enough. Eye witness testimony is extremely unreliable.
Convicting someone based on what story sounds best is straight out of Phoenix Wright.

You can't hold the law to a lower standard just because it is an emotional topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom