• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The future of politics, media, education and democracy in the face of climate change

Status
Not open for further replies.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
These are thoughts I've been having for a while now, accompanied by an increasing sense of urgency which has transformed over the last week into genuine fear.

Perhaps this is just me being overly pessimistic but looking at the events in the Middle East and Europe I see a microcosm of what could possibly happen on a much greater scale in the coming decades.

Unprecedented droughts and crop failures, while certainly not the exclusive cause, did play a significant role in the events that lead up to the Syrian Civil War.

The general public's dissatisfaction over waves of mass migration into Europe has provided a platform for right wing extremists promoting xenophobia and nationalism. Now, self serving politicians, aided by a shockingly irresponsible media have managed to take advantage of the emotional state of an uninformed majority in order to bring about a period of financial instability and doubt in the UK that could last decades.

Looking at it from a distance, what shocks me most of all is how much of the current situation is a result of either ignorance, negligence or downright malicious intent of certain parties. Going further back in time to the events that preceded the Syrian Civil War (the invasion of Iraq, the formation of ISIS etc) it becomes even more clear that an intelligent and future-minded western leadership could have done a far better job at managing these crises.

Given that, according to predictions, local food and water shortages are expected to become a much bigger issue as the global climate continues to destabilize, and given that there has been an observed correlation between periods of unstable climate and periods of great social upheaval, it seems almost certain that what we're seeing in the middle east and europe is just the tip of the iceberg.

Global climate change brings with it a great amount of uncertainty, but what frightens me even more is the uncertainty added on top of it by irrational or short-sighted human behavior. The need for fundamental change on a technological level has been clear, in terms of investment in alternative forms of energy production, invention of more robust agricultural crops and methods, improved capabilities in the areas of waterfood production, storage and distribution etc.

What has been far less clear is whether or not fundamental changes also need to be made in our current socio-political and economic structures, including the role of experts in government, the importance of long term political decision making, communication between government and the people, and the influence of the media on education, in order to create much better checks and balances for the future.

In my opinion, we should start looking at these human factors as sources of equal potential harm as the environmental factors, and accordingly begin to seriously explore the idea of laying down groundwork to assist the decision making process of countries and global communities, in the hopes that in the future we may become far more adaptable and responsible as a whole.

What say you GAF? Does anyone else share some of the dread I feel when looking at recent events? What do you believe can and should be done to help prepare our society for the dangerous future that awaits us? Is there a more pluralist alternative to what I am suggesting? If not, what precautions do you suggest be taken to prevent this road from leading to totalitarianism? Should we just accept that we're completely fucked?

tl;dr
What I am hoping for in this thread is a discussion about hypothetical changes to the current democratic system in order to make it more resilient against ignorance. Classically, the main three branches have been legislative, executive and judicial and I was interested in hearing ideas about how we could introduce a fourth branch (educational). Any other ideas about how to "fix" the current system are also more than welcome.

Senoculum

Climate change is the single most urgent threat to mankind, no question.

We need large strides, not small changes. I'm a firm believer that most corporations should strive to be carbon neutral; anyone who's in a leadership position should present this idea with their superiors. I already work for a company that proudly does this; we buy carbon offsets, and all our paper, down to our soap, is environmentally friendly and 100% recyclable.

I also think we should have an Earth Hour once every month; enough of this once a year bullshit.

And once automated, electrical vehicles come to market - we should totally, unequivocally embrace them, and urge the transportation industry to start thinking electrical, if not hybrid, at the very least.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
(giving it another try... something seems to cause GAF to reject this post in particular but not others I make)

@Senoculum

Those are all great as a matter of policy, but what I'm saying is that policy seems to be increasingly decided based on irrational behavior, rather than fact or expert opinions.

What I'm saying is even assuming there exists a technological solution within our reach to survive the drastic environmental changes predicted to occur over the next decades (which is an uncertain assumption), can we do anything to protect against future corruption, extremism or anti-intellectualism getting in the way of such solutions, or worse yet actively preventing them?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Giving this thread a second chance, as it is strongly related to some of the ongoing discussions in this thread.

To clarify the OP and add to it:
What I am hoping for in this thread is a discussion about hypothetical changes to the current democratic system in order to make it more resilient against ignorance. Classically, the main three branches have been legislative, executive and judicial and I was interested in hearing ideas about how we could introduce a fourth branch (educational). Any other ideas about how to "fix" the current system are also more than welcome.

prag16

Banned
What I am hoping for in this thread is a discussion about hypothetical changes to the current democratic system in order to make it more resilient against ignorance.

Have to be careful with this line of thinking. There are already definite issues with how information is disseminated with the filters of the government and the media, etc. Yeah there are crazy people like Alex Jones muddying the waters and any number of other internet nonsense factories (and mainstream media isn't immune to this either).

But I don't think we should throw the baby out with the bath water. What you're proposing sounds like silencing contrarian voices in order to bludgeon people with a consensus whenever a consensus seems to emerge. Might as well have your fourth branch be led by a "propaganda minister". I see what you're getting at, and I don't have a good answer, but I'm very wary of situations where the government has to increasingly "control a message" where free exchange of ideas is discouraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom