• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNIQLO design competition (UTGP) 2017's theme is Nintendo

Zupv79k.png

Official Site: https://www.uniqlo.com/utgp/2017/us/
Promotion Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0tUSkLM3J0

Judge: Shigeru Miyamoto & the Nintendo Special Judges Team

Grand Prize: $10,000 + Invitation to award ceremony + NX with Shiggy's autograph + special commemorative prize
2nd Prize: $3,000 + Invitation to award ceremony + NX with Shiggy's autograph
Runner-up Prize: $500

Winning design will be made into actual T-shirts. For reference, UTGP2016 had 28 winning designs for sale. Check here: http://www.uniqlo.com/utgp-pixar/2016/us/

Submission: No restrictions. Open to all people from all countries.

Application: July 1st to August 31st

Lock if old.

Q02 Are you offering any official materials that relate to the Nintendo games series and can be used in my designs?
No. We are not offering any such materials at all. Let your imagination guide your designs.

Q03 Can I use graphics of Nintendo games series found on the internet?
The use of materials that you have designed is permitted. Editing or processing visuals that have been previously released by others is not permitted.

Q04 Can I use props, quotes and such from Nintendo games series in my designs?
The use of materials that you have designed is permitted. Editing or processing visuals that have been previously released by others is not permitted.

Q05 Which game characters can be used for designs?
"The characters which appear in the following games series all can be used in design submissions." The Super Mario series, the Zelda series, the Pokémon series, the Animal Crossing series, the Star Fox series, the Pikmin series, the Metroid series, the Kirby series, the Donkey Kong series, and Splatoon

Q06 Can I change the color and/or alter the designs of the characters from Nintendo games and use the altered versions in my designs?

Q07 Can I design title logos for these games?
Only the Nintendo logo, characters and props from the designated game series can be used in submissions. Game title logos are excluded from use in this contest.

Pretty lame that Nintendo isn't even giving character art to use, and it sounds like we can't use any existing Nintendo character art, either. It's bizarre that Nintendo would even be okay with fan art designs on official shirts. But hopefully we'll see some better entries than the Moschino or Vans Nintendo wear.

Haven't designed anything in years, but I love UNIQLO and Nintendo so I'll give this a shot I suppose. Looking forward to some fresh shirts coming out of this contest though.

6595q.gif

Are these going to be made into actual shirts?

Yep, Spring 2017

Mephala

My understanding is Nintendo allows you to copy and edit their designs but not third party/fan art stuff since they don't have ownership. Sounds like they are just looking to avoid trouble for situations like winner basing their design off random deviant artist and artist suing afterwards etc.

Looking forward to seeing some designs myself. Anyone have some tools or templates that would be useful to share?

Calm Mind

VP of sales and marketing calls it quits and hours later marketing for new platform not even shown to the public begins. Not bad.

Q05 Which game characters can be used for designs?
"The characters which appear in the following games series all can be used in design submissions." The Super Mario series, the Zelda series, the Pokémon series, the Animal Crossing series, the Star Fox series, the Pikmin series, the Metroid series, the Kirby series, the Donkey Kong series, and Splatoon

Fire Emblem is a bit of a weird omission. But it wouldn't have really fit personally.

Also F-Zero is still very dead.

My understanding is Nintendo allows you to copy and edit their designs but not third party/fan art stuff since they don't have ownership. Sounds like they are just looking to avoid trouble for situations like winner basing their design off random deviant artist and artist suing afterwards etc.

It specifically says in the Q&A on that site I just posted:
Q02 Are you offering any official materials that relate to the Nintendo games series and can be used in my designs?
No. We are not offering any such materials at all. Let your imagination guide your designs.

Q03 Can I use graphics of Nintendo games series found on the internet?

The Grand Prize is $10,000 + an invitation to the awards ceremony in which Shigeru Miyamoto will participate + a new concept game console NX (DEVELOPMENT CODENAME) from Nintendo specially autographed by Shigeru Miyamoto+ Special commemorative prize The 2nd Prize is $3,000 + an invitation to the awards ceremony in which Shigeru Miyamoto will participate + a new concept game console NX (DEVELOPMENT CODENAME) from Nintendo specially autographed by Shigeru Miyamoto Runners-up receive $500

Winner also gets an NX! Interesting that it is referred to as a "new concept game console." I'm curious if this is alluding to how it isn't supposed to be a straightforward console like the Xbone or PS4...

javac

Uniqlo is great, their Lemaire collaboration was really nice, not really into graphic T's but if they have some bomb ass Splatoon shirt then I'm in.

Participants who create original designs with the aim of having them turned into merchandise must adhere to the following rules:

All submitted designs should be sized to fit on a standard T-shirt. Use CMYK mode for the high-resolution version of your design, with an image resolution of up to 200dpi.
Use Adobe Illustrator 10.0 and Adobe Photoshop 7.0 (older versions of these software packages are also acceptable).

So I hope they mean like, CS6.

casiopao

Hmmm. I wonder if we may combine IP there? Like putting Kirby, Pokemon and Animal Crossing into one cloth? That would be more interesting.^_^

A thought just strikes me. As the submission is worldwide, people from all countries can be the winners. Does this mean NX is not going to be region-locked? It is quite embarrassing if Nintendo gives out NTSC-J NX console to people from the US, isn't it?

A thought just strikes me. As the submission is worldwide, people from all countries can be the winners. Does this mean NX is not going to be region-locked? It is quite embarrassing if Nintendo gives out NTSC-J NX console to people from the US, isn't it?

Why would you think they wouldn't just switch out the model based on the winner's country of origin.

Calvero

Banned

Or they just give you an NX from your region?

Vena

Winner also gets an NX! Interesting that it is referred to as a "new concept game console." I'm curious if this is alluding to how it isn't supposed to be a straightforward console like the Xbone or PS4...

NX is a jetpack dream continues!

Neoxon

If the NX is region-free, I may go for it. Either way, at least this confirms that it won't be delayed past next Spring.

I mean there's a likely chance it is region free, but we're just taking note of your reasoning.

Hmm, correct me if I am wrong, I don't know Nintendo had ever released gaming console for all regions right at the start of the console's life span. For instance, some regions may receive a regional console after years of waiting, like China. Or, they never receive one, like Wii U. For years, we need to import our consoles from elsewhere like Japan or US. If the winners are coming from these regions, there are going to be three possibilities: (1) Nintendo has prepared regional consoles for people from all region, including markets like China, (2) NX is a region-free console with many different languages installed and (3) Nintendo will issue a NX whom region is the most suitable one for the winners.

I don't think the possibility for 1 is high, so the most probable options are 2 and 3. I hope the resulting option is 2.

Anyway, I think this is a bit off-topic, and I don't want the thread to turn into another NX speculation thread. On topic, I am thinking if I should join the competition. I hope the number of participants this year surpasses last year!

Top Bottom