• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is the better Awakening - My comparison of Lego and Infinity Force Awakens

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
With Lego Star Wars out this week and the Force Awakens playset releasing last Holiday to coincide with the movie video games fans now have multiple options to channel their inner force while reliving the new movie in video game form.

Having played both I figured I do a quick comparison between the two and maybe help people who haven't gotten into either.

These are my own personal opinions so feel free to disagree. :p

Graphics

Lego has the better technical visuals. Hell it has some of the best visuals going on the PS4 for a 3rd party title. It looks clean, and the background visuals are stunning especially on Jakku. It's also great to see things like Poe's X Wing done Lego style.

Disney Infinity in terms of raw visuals doesn't look as good. That being said its no slouch either especially on PS4. I also own a Wii U copy, and that looks good as well. Framerate is way better on the PS4 though.

Where Infinity might take a win for some is it tries to be a more realistic albeit stylized look at the Star Wars universe. Lego obviously looks well like shit is made out of Lego. So Infinity might win out for people that want the legoized version of the world.

Lego wins for me, but it's close as I sorta prefer the Infinity design.

Presentation

Both get high marks here. All of your Star Wars fan fair makes it in. Both titles ooze TFA. Neither feel like cheap cash ins. Much like Battlefront both Infinity and Lego present Star Wars in full glory.

It's a tie

Sound

This is where things get tricky. The original actors did both, but Lego has a better job. The problem is Lego still has this weird clipping problem. You can read about it in the GAF OT for Lego TFA.

They both have killer sound effects and orchestral scores.

I'll give the slight edge to Lego in this category, but they need to fix that audio shit.

Story

Lego's story fills in a couple of new things not found in the movie. Other than that both are pretty much what you'd expect. General flybys of TFA story. Plus Lego has the DLC.

Lego wins due to length, but both give you a general overview.

Gameplay

Now shit about to get real.

Lego TFA is the best playing Lego game to date. They spruced up the UI. Varied the mission structure. Give you tons of different stuff to do both on the ground and in vehicles. There are a ton of unlockables. Co-op actually makes better use of people beinf different characters this time.

I mean sure it's still a Lego game, but I feel like reviewers who thought it was just another Lego title played something different than I did? Put me in the IGN camp of this game being much improved.

THAT BEING SAID

Infinity wins hands down. Look DI 2.0 gameplay kinda sucked as after you stripped out the licensing and presentation trappings. The team new it, and they got outside help for 3.0.

It shows. The gameplay is fucking light years beyond previous entries. Ninja Theory knows their shit, and melee combat fucking owns in this. The skill trees are great. The level up system is great. The mission structure is fun. I love playing co-op with my Son. Sumo Digital did great on all of the vehicle stuff.

Moment to moment combat is just better in Infinity than Lego. Plus Infinity also has a gazillion unlockables as well. The only knock being that Infinity is a slightly shorter campaign.

Infinity wins this category despite Lego being leaps and bounds better than previous Lego titles. Props to Ninja Theory for putting in that work.

Wild Card (Other)

So the wild card here is just all of the other shit not talked about yet. Infinity is mainly a console game while Lego has the Vita and 3ds version. Lego is also cheaper since you don't need to buy the Disney Infinity base game.

That being said with DI being over you can find the base game and TFA playset on sale a bunch. So depending on sale it might not be that much more expensive. Plus you's get the base game Clone Wars era playset.

Lego let's you unlock all of the different characters over multiple play throughs. Infinity you have to shell out for the figures. The playset includes Rey and Finn. So Poe, Han, Chewie, and Kylo would be separate. You can also use other Star Wars Figures*

*I use an astrix on this cause the one annoying thing is you can't use additional star wars characters in a playset until you find their little collectable icons in the playset. Granted they are easy to snag, but it's gotta be noted.

I think the Infinity figures look great for collectables. Oh and you don't need need any more other than the base figures to beat.

It's also worth noting Infinity supports 2 player online co-op and local 2 player co-op. Lego is just 2 player local.

Wrap Up

So that's that. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I probably forgot to mention a bunch of stuff or didn't explain shit well. If you're mad I guess throw me into the sarlacc pit.

lXbT0uG.jpg

Top Bottom