• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BallisticNG: PSX WipEout workshop edition (PC Early Access)

Unicorn

Holy shit. Steam Discovery Queue delivering this sale on Steam. It costs $5(Used to be free and still is if currently installed)!

header.jpg
http://store.steampowered.com/app/473770/

This is Early Access and was free to play (If installed currently will have access to all features and future updates for free) and also has Steam Workshop Support, custom soundtrack support, track editor, and the ability to import models from the OG PSX discs for ultimate WipEout immersion. I can't believe this exists. I've been wanting a new PSX physics WipEout for years.

Anyway, this just came out about 2 months ago. It also has legit cockpit view. Ripe for VR vomiting fun.

Also, seeing this played well is just as impressive as perfect runs in WipEout 2097:
http://youtu.be/hkcafEPhSTw

Hanso

wow. thank you very much.
looks really good I hope it plays as well.
time to dust of the psx cases.

Unicorn

Oh wow! This dude is making a whole series of retro-futuristic vehicles:

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=718777181

Just added a hippie van today.

This game and workshop support is so amazing. I still need to dig out my PSX discs and get some classic ships in this game. I wonder if I can also copy over the joke ships in WipEout XL/2097. Need my swimming shark Piranha skin.

Also an update that hit the evening after I made this thread:

JULY 3 - BEARDED SNAKE
This is only a small update that brings in some improvements and a new option to toggle the PS1 vertex truncation (or wobbly vertices) from the graphics menu.

To answer questions about multiplayer, I need to wait for Valve to enable lobbies for the game so I can begin working on it, after that is done multiplayer will be the main development focus for a while.

Changelog
- Improved ship respawning, you are less likely to end up falling for a while before being respawned now
- Out of bounds pushing now negates the ships y velocity, making it much more likely that you will be pushed back onto the track
- Turntable preview images for ships are now tinted black
- Added graphics option to toggle PS1 vertex truncation emulation
- Fixed a tile on Aciknovae that had the forced shadow flag enabled (before the tunnel)

Toggle off z-fighting polygon warping emulation is a plus for those that want to go full on HD look. I actually play with the bloom and AA turned off. One because I mainly play on a laptop, and two because I like the PSX feel of the whole ride seemingly ripping at the seams from the speed.

Unicorn

Last couple updates. Some big changes to physics and today's update revamps unlocking the ships and campaign:

6/6
This update brings some fairly big changes to the physics, making the ships much floatier and improving handling a lot.

Changelog
- Added cockpit for MTechP1
- Input prompts now show icons instead of raw strings of the input
- Ships now have descriptions on the selection screen, standard ships give a bit of backstory behind them
- The ready screen now has a default controls illustration
- In-game voices have been updated with better post-editing
- Added voices for completing pefects laps and announcing the final lap
- Fixed alignment issues on Survival results screen
- Large tweaks to ship handling, tilting and camera
- Ships now have a lower gravity force when hovering above the ground and begin falling at a faster rate much slower
- Ships now nose dive at a greater angle much faster when falling
- Updated a whole bunch of sounds

7/12
This is going to be the final 0.4 based update, Valve have enabled lobbies for the game so for the next few weeks development is going to be focused on multiplayer.

This update completely removes the campaign in favour for a new medal system, all you need to do to unlock ships now is race a certain amount of times until you have enough gold medals. A new pickup has also been introduced!

If you already have ships unlocked then they will stay unlocked!

Changelog
- Fixed workshop IDs not resetting on loading files that arn't .shp files
- Campaign has been removed - unlock system replaced with a medal system (barracuda and caliburn still have to be unlocked through the zen tournament)
- Medals are displayed at the bottom right of the main menu
- Fixed button overlap in ship importer in 5:4 aspect ratios
- Added energy wall pickup
- Fixed being able to fire the cannon when the game is paused
- Fixed scrape particle positions being inaccurate
- Decreased collision contact threshold to fit the scale of the game (results in more accurate collisions)
- Collisions are now simulated for a small threshold above the track walls
- Reduced slow-down from wall collisions again
- Utah Project has been moved up the track last to before Ishtar Citadel
- Added cockpit for NX2000
- Updated NX2000 textures
- Updated the NX2000's stats to make it more unique and worth flying
- Made changes to Maceno Bay - fixed some skips, pulled the start line back
- Updated the missile reticle animation

This is cool, but watching videos of this game, the pop in ruins it for me. I wonder if we can run the game without the pop in? I just watched some videos of Wipeout 3 just now and even back then it wasn't as bad as what is presented in this game.

Xbudz

Oh man. This is great.. I'd love to see somebody add the Hornet from Daytona USA, combining my two favorite racing games, :)

Unicorn

This is cool, but watching videos of this game, the pop in ruins it for me. I wonder if we can run the game without the pop in? I just watched some videos of Wipeout 3 just now and even back then it wasn't as bad as what is presented in this game.
In the setting is a draw-in slider. Crank it up and there's 0 pop in. Also they have a setting to turn off the polygon jitter emulated from the PSX games.

epmode

In the setting is a draw-in slider. Crank it up and there's 0 pop in. Also they have a setting to turn off the polygon jitter emulated from the PSX games.

Good. This game is too faithful to bullshit 3D artifacts. I like Wipeout XL in spite of the Playstation's terrible 3D handling, not because of it.

Mmm, yeah, gonna have to check this out when I get home, I think. I played a fair bit of the original WipEout on my Saturn (mostly by virtue of it being one of the few games I owned for the thing for the longest time), so this is tickling the nostalgia bone something fierce.

Unicorn

Split Screen in beta or something now. Oh, and menu music now.

Hey everyone!
Currently on the unstable branch is an early version of splitscreen, it's very much functional from the limited testing (hence the unstable branch update) though bugs should be expected.

If you get to try it out, let me know how it goes!

Changelog (Unstable Branch)
- Added performance display(press F1 to toggle it)
- Updated menu music
- Added more music to the menu, the song will be chosen at random
- Added splitscreen:
All secondary bindings will be disabled in the menus after going into splitscreen except for the 2nd player ship selection

Fasty

Wow, how have I missed this? Love the wobbly PSX look, but extremely grateful that it can be turned off! I hope the handling is on par with 2097.

//DEVIL//

I am kinda surprised allowing this. I downloaded just in case sony tries to pull the plug on the developer.

Fredrik

Oh wow full controller support, removing the framerate cap and increasing the draw distance makes this very very pleasant to play.

Unicorn

http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791454739032/announcements/detail/611748592052679670
Big Changes coming late September and in October. Quake power-up sounds like it's finally coming. MP3 custom track support (YESSSS). Other Quality of Life changes too.

Hey everyone!

Making this announcement just to provide some information on what 0.5 is going to include and when it will roughly come out.

Release Information
So to start with, the biggest feature coming is multiplayer! This isn't going to contain absoluetely every feature that I want to include in it as that is going to take a while, but all of the basics will be there for you to jump into races with friends and randomers. A lot of testing was done a few days ago and it's working pretty well so far. With this is also splitscreen, this is already available on the unstable branch as mentioned in the previous announcement but in 0.5 it will be recieving a few little fixes to do with how the world renders for both players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6j5L8Ixl1E

Content wise 0.5 will be introducing a new track, Cassandra, and remakes of the three prototype tracks and Aciknovae. The original versions of Harpstone and Aciknovae will also still be available. All teams now all have their own unique cockpits and all of the main teams now have a drag ship. Drag ships are extremely fast ships that will be primarily exclusive to 4 drag tracks (coming post 0.5) but can also be used in normal play. In normal play they are faster then Barracuda but have a lot heavier handling. On the drag tracks they will reach up to speeds of 1100km/h!

38d930e0860123f322d53d7f658b4b2c.png

There will also be new pickups, one of them being an all time favourite for Wipeout fans. Additionally 2280 mode has had more gameplay tweaks and some existing pickups have had changes too.

0.5 also now enables you to use .mp3 files for custom music, as opposed to before where you could only use .wav files. If you have .wav files for custom music right now then those will continue to work as normal. Also regarding music, there are 6 new music tracks built into the game!

Release Data
This update is expected to come out early october, there is also a little suprise coming September 30th!

Hopefully that answers any questions anybody might have about what the next update will contain and when it's coming, if not then myself and the team will be happy to answer any questions you have in the discussion board. Thanks!

Mechazawa

This is just Wipeout. These dudes literally just made Wipeout. Which means the handling is fantastic. I don't know if even Formula Fusion is going to get this close.

I can't believe I just found out about this today. For all the lipservice people like to pay to Wipeout around here, the fact that this thread is only 30-ish posts long is pretty suspect. This thing is free.

Unicorn

I feel like any time I make a thread it's poison. So many games I try to give some love to, but so many don't break 2 pages :''''''(

In other news there have been a few workshoppers that have been putting in WORK! WipEout Pulse teams are a go, more Nintendo love, Sega All-Stars love, and even some original ship designs have been added.

Can't wait for track designers to get their outlet....soooooon

I feel like any time I make a thread it's poison. So many games I try to give some love to, but so many don't break 2 pages :''''''(

In other news there have been a few workshoppers that have been putting in WORK! WipEout Pulse teams are a go, more Nintendo love, Sega All-Stars love, and even some original ship designs have been added.

Can't wait for track designers to get their outlet....soooooon

I never would have realized this existed without you posting this thread. It's not poison to me. Thank you.

Unicorn

Coming with the 0.5 update next month is a track creator. As the name suggests, this tool is going to let you create your own tracks! When released it will still be in early stages and as such you will not be able to get the tracks fully setup in-game, however you can playtest your tracks with the press of a button with a variety of different environment presets. You also have options for which team and speed class you want to use in playtesting!
f1b5b800f6a5d4838042161bde9a26fc.png

This track creator is now being used to create the offical tracks for the game, the editor is based on letting you place down each segment of the track individually. Tools are provided to make this no where near as tedious as it might sound, with options to automate the process of creating and rotating mass amounts of segments.

We can't wait to see what people do with this editor :)

Coming in the 0.5 update in the next months or less.

Unicorn

BallisticNG 0.5 is now out. Bringing new content, a multiplayer beta and a track creator, this is the biggest update yet!

ABOUT
BallisticNG 0.5 introduces a new track, Cassandra, and various updates to existing tracks. 0x001 and 0x002 and Ishtar Citadel have been completely remade. Aciknovae has had a large scenery update with some small improvements to the layout too.

All standard teams now have a drag ship varient, these are all statistically the same and will be used in a new drag tournament coming in the future. Right now these will be unlocked alongside Barracuda and really only serve as an alternative to those who like drifting, you'll be seeing the full potential of these ships later.

Pickups
This update also includes three new pickups - The wormhole, tremor and turbo.

Turbo
The turbo is a 2280 mode exclusive pickup that gives you a sudden boost in speed for a brief moment.

Wormhole
The wormhole is a pickup that teleports you to the place ahead of you. The wormhole takes a moment to charge, when you come out a autopilot will very briefly take control of the ship to stablize you but this should be used with caution as technical track sections will make this very hard to use.

Tremor
The tremor will send a ripple down the track which throws ships into the air and slows them down, the tremor covers a long distance which makes it an ideal weapon for catching up if you're behind.

Track Creator
The track creator is a new modding tool that can be found in the modding tools section on the main menu. It's still in heavy development but right now you can easily create your own tracks and instantly play test them! This tool is now being used as the offical tool to make tracks for the game, so you can expect this to get much more powerful in the future.

Goto Help - Open Documentation in the editor for information

Multiplayer
The multiplayer is not quite ready yet, but it's in a good enough state that we'd like to get it out to people to test and have a bit of a fun with. If you're on the game's unstable branch then you'll have access to it, it's still rough around the edges but you should be able to race with your friends without any major issues!

Let us know how it goes, the more feedback we get the sooner we can get it out of it's beta state and into the stable version of the game! There is a new multiplayer dicussion board where you can talk about and report issues.

2097 20th Anniversary DLC
For the past month I've been working on two DLC tracks for the game to celebrate that today (30th of September) is the 20th birthday of Wipeout 2097. These two tracks have been designed to look and feel like tracks that could have been in Wipeout 2097!

Download:
https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilt...ad/DLC/BallisticNG.DLC.-.2097.Anniversary.zip
9f023816f5f867fdf44736eb74c8e688.png

And as always, here's the list of changes:
Changelog:
Notice: All leaderboards have been reset
Engine:
- Added performance and ship stats listing (press F1 to cycle these)
- Weapon prefabs are now loaded into memory to stop hiccups when loading them
- Updated game to Unity 5.4
- AI rotation is now much smoother

Audio:
- Added 2 new songs from ShiftDelete
- Added 4 new songs from Shem
- A bunch of existing songs have been updated
- Mp3 support for custom music has been added, .wav files will still continue to work
- Music playback is now continuous across tracks
- Updated menu music and added more music that can be chosen to the menu
- All voice lines have been rerecorded
- Survival mode now has an ambient background sound that increases in pitch the more zones you pass

Gameplay:
- Added splitscreen
- 2280 changes:
* In time trial your shield energy will now constantly regenerate
* The afterburner and pitlane is now disabled
* Dropping an item will absorb it and give you a small amount of shield energy back
* You will respawn instantly
* E-Pack pickup is disabled
- Nerfed hyperthrust
- Added Turbo Pickup (2280 mode exclusive)
- Added Wormhole pickup
- Added tremor pickup
- Added drag ships
- Added Cassandra
- Remade 0x001, 0x002 and Ishtar Citadel
- Replaced Aciknovae with new WIP version (old version can be found in the vault section)
- 2097 ship handling is now much more accurate
- The surival ship has had a number of performance tweaks, primarly removing drifting from the airbrakes to allow for precise steering in

higher zones

Visual:
- Updated Tenrai Livery
- Added categories to the track menu
- Cockpits now flicker when ships take damage
- Added notification to HUD to tell you which song is currently playing
- The HUD will now show you how far in front or behind you are in seconds when passing checkpoints
- Updated leaderboard design
- Survival mode now has a death animation

Other Additions:
- Added Track Creator

Fixes:
- Fixed not being able to pause after rebinding controls
- Fixed infinite menu loops
- Fixed transparency issues in Marina Rush
- Fixed race position being wrong when in junctions
- Prototype ship textures now work

So many YES reactions to the 2280 mode. About to try it out now after I download the new tracks. I did one quick race and the changed track is completely different! Also, the Tremor and Wormhole power up look goooooood.

Time to dump TONS of time in as this is a major update. Tell your friends. Tell your family.

neto

Wow I wouldn't have know about this if not for this thread, I just played it for a few minutes and this is awesome! and FREE! and it even have that ps1 graphical effect, I'm surprised this thread doesn't have more replies, word needs to get out for all the futuristic racing fans to try this

This looks so dope. I can't believe this has been flying under my radar until now.

The low poly modeling is like icing on the cake.

Unicorn

Wish I could use a NeGcon with it.

Very nice.

If you have a converter cable you can totally use it. One of the devs mentioned that he uses it to play, so I assume they have it in mind since so many die-hard WipEout fans swear by that controller. Maybe one day I will finally get my own NeGcon. I've just been using the Steam Controller since the back paddles made afterburner use easier, but now I have 2280 mode and don't plan on looking back.

Top Bottom