• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: "gamers have spent more than 100M total hours playing Backward Compatible games"

c0de

Didn't see a thread made, so...

Thanks to dLMN8R for posting it in the RDR bc thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=209243521&postcount=475

sauce: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/four-more-xbox-one-backwards-compatible-games-arri/1100-6441431/

In other news about Xbox One backwards compatibility, Microsoft said this week that the response to this feature has been "overwhelming." To date, users have spent more than 100 million combined hours playing backwards-compatible games on Xbox One.

original source:
http://news.xbox.com/2016/06/28/record-setting-e3-2016-kicks-off-new-era-gaming/

In addition to all the new games coming, we’re committed to helping carry your favorite games from your Xbox 360 library forward as well. Your response to Xbox One Backward Compatibility has been overwhelming – to date, gamers have spent more than 100M total hours playing Backward Compatible titles on Xbox One. We recently added Call of Duty: Black Ops, XCOM: Enemy Within and Portal 2 to the growing library of Backward Compatible games, now totaling 209 titles with many more on the way.

Stream me on PSNow if old.

McDougles

Tell me what that means, Microsoft. Even as Microsoft shifts from hard sales numbers to "truth that Sony is kicking our asses"-obscuring "engagement" numbers, 100M total hours means nothing if Microsoft isn't willing to compare and contrast it to literally anything else within Microsoft's library of stats.

"It's a large number, so it must be good," I guess.

KHlover

Banned
Sooo...about 5 hours per sold console?

Jk, as seen by the increase in sales of old games whenever a new game is added BC is clearly something people really want.

Because clearly noone uses Xbox BC.

Get it?

U guys get the irony of the thread title now?

Stop getting offended by it and asking for it to be changed.

I wonder how that compares to hours spent in the remastered portions of MCC, Gears, and Rare Replay.

Do more people use backward compatibility, or do more people use actual re-releases of older games?

c0de

Tell me what that means, Microsoft. Even as Microsoft shifts from hard sales numbers to "truth that Sony is kicking our asses"-obscuring "engagement" numbers, 100M total hours means nothing if Microsoft isn't willing to compare and contrast it to literally anything else within Microsoft's library of stats.

Microsoft said:
To date, users have spent more than 100 million combined hours playing backwards-compatible games on Xbox One.

I mean, what else could it mean? It is literally that.

FeD.nL

I love the direction MS is going atm. Hopefully it sticks.

Expand the BC library, play anywhere and throw in some nice sales. Digital only really becomes the most attractive proposition that way.

I love steam for the fact that I can just play my library of games whenever I want and I really like that MS now seems to go that way.

c0de

I wonder how that compares to hours spent in the remastered portions of MCC, Gears, and Rare Replay.

Do more people use backward compatibility, or do more people use actual re-releases of older games?

This comparison would only make sense if there was the same game remastered and bc. This only applies to Gears 1, I think, as this is the only game that got remastered and is bc.

TBiddy

So around 5 hours per xbox one. (is it meaningful to put it that way?)

Only if every single XB1 owner has used BC.. which I doubt. The players using BC are probably the more hardcore ones, and they will most likely spend a lot more hours than 5 (on average) on this.

Tyrus

Banned

This. I just roll my eyes when I see data like this. Cool beans, I guess, but pointless. We all know BC is incredibly popular already.

McDougles

I mean, what else could it mean? It is literally that.

I asked for context and you re-iterated the subject. That's not helpful.

To put this in perspective Halo 3 had 40 million hours palyed in 1 week.

This is helpful because, at the very least, it provides the framework of one of the most popular Xbox 360 games and how many hours were spent in just 1 week (~40M) compared to the totality of all XB1 BC usage (>100M hours).

If you were selling me on a TV on the street by saying it has 921,600 displayable pixels, if I didn't look it up I would assume that's an impressive number. However, when you compare that 720p TV you're trying to sell me to the 2,073,600 pixels of a true 1080p HD TV, you realize that 921,600 isn't as impressive a number.

TBiddy

Only MS will released a pointless pr statement. Just like their NPD statements this gen.

Most PR statements are more or less pointless. But I'd argue that the 100M hours played isn't pointless. It shows that the gamers actually use BC.

This comparison would only make sense if there was the same game remastered and bc. This only applies to Gears 1, I think, as this is the only game that got remastered and is bc.

Yeah, and there's also the issue of psychological commitment--people are more likely to feel "obligated" to play a game they bought recently, even if it's a remaster, whereas they're likely to view a BC game as "free" even though they bought it at some point in the past--but I'm always interested in how much time people actually put into remasters.

There's a part of me that thinks a lot of people buy them for nostalgia value, mess around with them a bit, then bin them.

Only MS will released a pointless pr statement. Just like their NPD statements this gen.

It might be pointless to us, but it could definitely raise the eyebrows of some publishers who are on the fence about allowing their games to be run on the newer console.

TBiddy

It might be pointless to us, but it could definitely raise eyebrows of some publishers who are on the fence about allowing their games to be run on the newer console.

That we can agree on, but then again, I hope that Microsoft would tell the publishers these numbers (and many others) when they meet. After all, I don't see why the publishers would say no. Clearly BC is being used, and if your game is good enough, you'll see a spike in sales and interest.

This. I just roll my eyes when I see data like this. Cool beans, I guess, but pointless. We all know BC is incredibly popular already.

When BC was announced a lot of people scoffed at the idea of it being used. It's just nice to see evidence point to people wanting this feature for future consoles to preserve their collection.

cireza

Banned
Contributed to this by playing Carcassonne.

Will contribute again when Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey become available.

BC is great. Hoping for many more games !

bman94

I remember when Xbox One and PlayStation 4 first announced and people swore that backwards compatibility was pointless and was unneeded. Now 3 years later and we got 10 page threads on a backwards compatible title and a mountain of remasters with varying qualities that everyone is sick of.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

bdVwN6W.jpg

Please continue.

c0de

I asked for context and you re-iterated the subject. That's not helpful.

This is helpful because, at the very least, it provides the framework of one of the most popular Xbox 360 games and how many hours were spent in just 1 week (~40M) compared to the totality of all XB1 BC usage (>100M hours).

If you were selling me on a TV on the street by saying it has 921,600 displayable pixels, if I didn't look it up I would assume that's an impressive number. However, when you compare that 720p TV you're trying to sell me to the 2,073,600 pixels of a true 1080p HD TV, you realize that 921,600 isn't as impressive a number.

To use the "perspective" of BigTnaples, "In the U.S., Halo 3 sold 3.3 million copies in its first 12 days on sale" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_3#Sales) - using this perspective is off as you don't expect numbers from a blockbuster game in the magnitude of last gen Halo to transfer to bc games and is intentionally false.

So... 100m hours, in one year, across, what? 25 million consoles?

That's 4 hours per console, average, in a year.

100m sounds impressive, but in context? It's not exactly "massive numbers" and proves there's "vague interest" not necessarily "massive demand".

I'm absolutely raining on Microsoft's parade here because it's a pointless figure.

c0de

Who wants to play Skyrim BC when there's a 1080p remaster with enhanced graphics and mods coming?

People who already own the game and want to revisit it? Or want to use their existing save to finally finish the game? People who can get the game cheap?

SOR5

When the head of the division is going on public interviews and publicly stating "Yes, it doesn't take a genius to work out Sony is outselling us", no truth is being obscured

MAU is not a guise number, it's not just a nicer measure, it's a far more important scale of profitability and success for their business model. Someone who buys a box and does nothing with it is next to useless in terms of profit, subscriptions, software and accessories is where the real money comes in

TheYanger

Ridiculous how many people come into this thread solely to try and cut down on the xbox one, even though backwards compatibility is in all ways a positive for the industry.

Top Bottom